black screen but osund

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by whppdhubby, May 22, 2007.

1. whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007

Advertisements

i have a Toshiba SD-400 hooked up for along time,so nothing has been changed in the configuration. direct hook up to coax. i have unplugged the unit and restarted,several times. the screen is simply black, yet i hear the t.v. AND the tivo sounds like when you push the tivo button. i can hear it scroll thru the menu etc.
    when i have unplugged and restarted i CAN see the WELCOME POWERING UP SCREEN then simply black. what can i dooooo?
    i guess by the fact i can see the gray screen means the video inputs are working

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Will your TV accept the composite outputs? Try them to see what happens.

3. Maninbrown

Maninbrown New Member

May 22, 2007
    do you see the Tivo menus on the black screen?

4. tpriddy

tpriddy New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA
    I have recycled my HR10-250 as a large SD TiVo. It's connected via RCA cables to an older SD TV, a Sony 32" XBR^2.

It was working fine, but then I accidentally hit some buttons on my remote and the screen went black, but I still have audio. I power cycled TiVo and I see the two gray screens, "Welcome..." and "Almost there...", then I get the black screen.

I think my TiVo is now outputing a video signal that is incompatible with my SD TV. Can you help me navigate the HR10-250 menu in the dark, to reset the video to 4:3, 480i?

5. tpriddy

tpriddy New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA

Advertisements

I got it done by hitting the up arrow on the circle pad. I just had to hit it enough times to cycle through the 4 display modes back to 480i. Just in time for the Superbowl.