Black Mirror - Season 5 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jun 8, 2019 #1 of 47
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

This is the series that the new Twilight Zone wishes it were. Only three eps this season, unfortunately. I watched the second ep first, "Smithereens", after reading all kinds of rave reviews, which are spot on. Nothing supernatural, just a straight drama (with a nice dose of black humor). I thought Andrew Scott as Chris was fantastic in the role, one of those actors that's always interesting to watch; Topher Grace also excellent as the stand-in for Mark Zuckerberg.

One of the best of the series.

2. Jun 8, 2019 #2 of 47
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    This is also the one I started with and agree it’s fantastic. Not the usual sci-fi elements, just a fictionalized FB/Twitter/Instagram/whatever. Felt so bad for Chris, even though it was his addiction that led to everything. And he knew it and it was why he was so shattered about it. At least the mom whose daughter committed suicide was finally able to get access to her social media. And was pleasantly surprised with how well Topher Grace played the Zuckerberg-type person. At first I thought he’d be the tropey supergenius d-bag but I felt he was good at giving more layers to the character.

3. Jun 8, 2019 #3 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought all three of them were good (although the Miley Cyrus one is pretty boring for the first half...but it really pays off in the second).

4. Jun 8, 2019 #4 of 47
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I was not impressed. I thought both Striking Vipers and Smithereens had very ambiguous endings.

If the premise of Striking Vipers were to be believed, the story about the overall impact on society would have been more interesting that the little bit of drama between two guys and the wife.

Family likes this.
  5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

Can't wait till those 3-D holographic pinball machines come out.

Pretty sure that, in the real world, if it turned out that a virtual-reality multiplayer fighting game also allowed the players to have sex with each other, there would be a huge outcry and the servers would be shut down until the game could be patched.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Get a VR headset.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... with in-game purchase mechanisms enabling access to the unrestricted modes.

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not sure how either of those endings are ambiguous. I thought they were pretty straightforward. In SV, the wife found out about the VR "affair" due to the husband being arrested. Fast forward a year and we see they've reached an arrangement where the husband gets to "play" the game with his friend once a year on his birthday, and the wife gets to go out and pretend she's a single woman and get picked up in a bar, which we know she likes from the opening scene of the episode.

In Smithereens, the driver of the car is killed by the sniper, but the mother of the suicide girl is able to access her daughter's account.
    I'm curious how the "sex" would actually work in this situation, since the players' physical bodies are not being used at all.

9. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    "Striking Vipers" - Thought this was interesting. Not to mention a little disturbing. My wife had a different take on it. I personally feel the best friend is a closeted homosexual. Whereas the married friend was bored with his life and this made him feel something he has missed.

"Smithereens" - This was pretty bad and went on for way too long. Also hated the name Smithereens for a social network company.

"Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too" - This was the best out of the three. My wife now wants a Ashley O doll LOL!

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: Smithereens ... The result of the sniper shot is left unknown; all we see are people getting a news alert ping, briefly checking the story, then tucking the phone away. As for the mom, it’s left unclear whether gaining access to the daughter’s account actually makes anything better for the mom.

Re: Vipers ... not sure why the friend says he had an issue with the accent of the Dutch(?) player since the avatars aren’t portrayed as using the players’ voices.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You're correct that it's not explicit that the driver is killed by the sniper, but it's pretty easy to infer that's what was intended. And we know the mother got the password to her daughter's account. The question about whether that actually made anything better for her was never something that viewers were made to care about.
    I have no idea what this comment is referring to at all.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Meh, given the supposed issues with a very recent police engagement gone wrong, it’s a toss-up as to whether the shot hit the wrong target yet again ... and the people casually checking and pocketing their phones is an indicator that it’s becoming an accepted norm.

Such is art.

13. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Dutch? Do you mean Pom Klementieff? Played the female fighter Roxette. French/Korean born and raised in France. She also played Mantis (the empath) in Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers.

--Carlos V.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No. It was just a comment by the friend when expressing his inability to fill the void with some other player or experience.

As typed, just not sure he said “Dutch.”

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    "I tried it with real players. Other folks controlling Lance. There was this one guy from Holland. He was kind of halfway OK as long as I didn't think about his accent. But it didn't get me. It didn't get me, not like when we're in there. You and me."

krkaufman likes this.
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right.

It would have been funny hearing that actor’s voice coming out of Pom, but that’s not how they portrayed it. (Nor was Mackie’s voice used for Lance.)

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  18. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
  19. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
  20. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought all 3 of them were great.
    I kinda groaned out loud that Miley Cyrus was going to be in one of them but I thought she was pretty good and surprised me.
    Andrew Scott gives an amazing performance in the second episode. I watched Fleabag 2 weeks ago and spent the entire episode trying to figure out where I knew him from not making the connection until I looked it up afterwards.

jeetkunedo likes this.