Black Lightning 1/16/18 S1E1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by David Platt, Jan 17, 2018.

1. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

Anybody else check it out? It wasn't awful, but I think it has an awfully long way to go before it's up to the level of the other Berlanti shows like Arrow or Flash. I'm curious if it takes place in the same universe as those two.

The special effects were fairly laughable at some points, but overall I thought the acting wasn't bad.

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I watched it. It was okay, but felt more “real” (took itself more seriously) than the other CW DC shows.

It may take place in the same universe as there was a news commentator mentioning there are heroes in other cities, but I doubt there will be crossovers. It just felt too different.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although maybe not, since the commentator was talking about how white heroes were called "heroes" but BL is called "vigilante," which pretty much flies in the face of Arrow (who has been condemned as a vigilante since Day 1).

I wonder if this is like Gotham, which is set in an alternate DC Universe from the Arrowverse shows...

4. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Took me a moment to recall that I loved this guy as Mayor Lavon Hayes of Bluebell, in Hart of Dixie.

Graymalkin likes this.
  5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

From what I've read, Black Lightning, like Supergirl, is set in an different universe than the other CW DC shows.

I liked it. It wasn't great but it'll take a little while to nail the characters. I hope the whole season isn't solely about fighting the 100.

My inner 12 year old enjoyed the blue cranial explosions when Black Lightning punched the bad guys in the head. I was also impressed that someone who had been in superhero retirement for 25+ years could immediately kick ass all night long. I'd have to call for a time out after my third punch.

Out of curiosity, is BL, like early Arrow killing some of the bad guys?

Some of the music was right up my alley. You don't often get the great Gil Scott-Heron on tv.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sure seemed that way to me...

I suspect Tobias Whale and the 100 are going to be the Big Bads for the foreseeable future. Not just this season, but for years to come.

7. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    A powered superhero against a street gang doesn't seem like a fair, season long fight. Maybe there will be some super powered baddies thrown in the mix too?

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Oh, I'm sure. I'm sure Tobias has some super-baddies on the payroll. I just suspect the foundation of the series is going to be BL trying (in vain?) to save the city from TW and the 100.

9. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Every time I see the poster for this it reminds me of Mystery Men :D

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Interesting. I read a short interview with Executive Producer Salim Akil last night that says differently.
    Why You Won't See Black Lightning on The CW's Other DC Shows

I find his line about Batman to be funny in light of the fact that Oliver Queen named Bruce Wayne on Arrow several back.

The show itself has the potential to be very interesting and I'm going to continue to watch.

Although I'm scratching my head a bit and the inclusion of Paul Gambi, who in the comics, is a rather minor Flash character.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ooops.
    I just noticed that James Remar is playing Peter Gambi.
    Paul's brother.

12. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Overall, I liked it.
    It felt a little more gritty and didn't feel as soapy as Flash or GA, and not as outright stupid as Flash or Legends of Tomorrow. (I actually do watch all of them).

I'm only a little familiar with Black Lightning, so I had to read up on Wikipedia, and was impressed with how much it feels like the show got right.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I liked it. And I have been overdone with superhero shows. At least the newer Marvel ones, which are trying to be ordinary (life).

14. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I watched it (and the next episode) and liked it, but I probably won't follow it. I usually don't watch shows with that much violence. It was definitely a change of tone from the other shows, and I tend to gravitate towards the lighter ones.

15. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I definitely enjoyed the first season of Black Lightning more that I've enjoyed the current seasons of Flash and Arrow so far.

The Proctor character was maybe just a little bit too stereotypically racist. He was like The Man from many 70s blaxploitation movies. The actor seemed to have fun hamming the character up.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, Flash and Arrow have both become...boring to me, with their omnipotent villains. Black Lightning made its villain a good match for the hero, with give and take all season building suspense. I hate it in the other shows when the villain just keeps winning and winning and winning and winning...until the end of the season, when suddenly, for no logical reason, they lose.

Supergirl has improved, with Kara much less mopey than she was for a while. But Legends has become my favorite. Completely bonkers, but in a fun way (and now with added Constantine!).

17. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Black Lightning has shot to the top of my CW Superhero Shows, I watch it at first opportunity. I'm still trying to keep up with The Flash, but have not watched any of the others in a long time.

18. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Yep, I tivoed the whole series and just FINALLY had a chance to catchup and view them this week! Well, mostly I have 2 eps tonight to finish, but its not too bad. Kinda hokey in places, but watchable.
    The problem will come next season if there are better shows to watch (Like Expanse etc) and I start running out of room ...
    I gave up on Supergirl last season and Arrow this season - still trying to stay with Flash, tho I'm watching Flash in batches as well - got probably 5 in the can right now.
    Started recording Legends again this season when I heard John Constantine was coming -
    but not sure if even he is enough to get past the silliness of that show.

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Certainly agree. This is a really solid show, probably the best of the CW hero shows overall. This isn’t a season thread, so I can’t be specific about stuff I liked and some stuff I didn’t, but suffice to say there was way more of the former than the latter.