Black Friday Sale

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Ocresident, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Ocresident

Ocresident Member

Aug 18, 2015

Advertisements

TiVo is having their annual Black Friday Sale on the Edge DVR. $150 off the Edge Cable DVR and discounts on the service plans. In the past I purchased the annual plan when it was discounted to $99/year because it seemed like the best overall option. The all in plan pays off in the long run but I have not had good luck with my TiVo’s lasting more than a few years.

My only question on this promotion is whether the $99 annual plan is only for the first year or whether it would stay at $99 for the life of the device. In the past it was $99 for the life of the device but the wording on this year’s promotion is a bit vague.

2. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Corran Horn, pj1983 and mrsean like this.
  3. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Looks like $99 each year if you read the fine print.

“If you select the Annual Service your credit card will be billed annually by TiVo in the amount of $99.99 plus tax as applicable.”

4. Ocresident

Ocresident Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Thanks, that clarifies things.

I remember in years past this community would get super excited about TiVo’s Black Friday sale and threads on the topic would reach into the hundreds. I can’t help but feel like this community has lost its enthusiasm for the company and its latest generation of products.

I have a Premier (lifetime), Bolt (lifetime) and Edge (annual). The Premier works fine, it’s just a bit slow and not as elegant as the Edge unit. For $350 I could get a brand new Edge plus one year of service, and then $99 per year after that. It seems like a very reasonable price to pay for the latest unit. The Premier would then be my backup when a unit fails(which has happened quite frequently in my house).

But with the potential sun setting of support for cable cards, talk of ATSC 3.0, and an increase in competition for live TV channels from streaming services like Hulu and YouTube, I can’t help but feel like I’m investing into a technology that won’t be the best solution out there in fairly short order. And I’m locking myself in to staying with our cable company (FIOS) at typical monthly cable rates.

So I’m on the fence about whether I’m going to move forward. The purchase price is inconsequential to me, but locking myself in to my cable company has me wondering if it’s just time to move on.

Corran Horn and pj1983 like this.
  5. jap3

jap3 Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Salem, NJ

Advertisements

I came here to see what the consensus was on the offer. My series 3 with lifetime was $855, my Roamio was $750. Seems like a good deal but I wasn't happy with the UI upgrade. It lasted a day and I reverted. I would assume I can't use the old UI on the Edge. My series 1 still boots. I've been a Tivo loyalist from the start but I agree with Ocresident. Not sure how long Tivo will last.

6. Ocresident

Ocresident Member

Aug 18, 2015
    If you do move forward with the sale, I would definitely go for the annual $99 contract. All in makes no sense at this point. So for $350 you get a brand new Edge and one year of service and continual care. Year 2 would just be another $99.

If I were to switch to a DVR from my cable company at $20/month I’d be at about the same expense over the next 2 years as the TiVo, but the TiVo would be a better overall experience.

The only thing that may make more sense is to cut the cable company out completely and go with Hulu or YouTube with a cloud based DVR solution. I may have to try the free 7 day demo of each of those just to see how they compare to the TiVo solution. I know at some point it’s going to happen, but after 20 years with TiVo products I can’t quite get ready to pull the plug on them.

7. DBV1

DBV1 New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    What happened to their OTA Edge with 4 Tuners? Why would they get rid of that and only have a 2 tuner Edge?

christianfahey likes this.
  8. janitor53

janitor53 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Because they are a horribly managed organization that appears to actually want to fail. That's honestly the best answer.

9. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Well, if you do this would you come back here and offer your findings/opinion/decision? I think we're all in the same (sinking) boat and would like to see what the future holds.

Corran Horn and ufo4sale like this.
  10. Glenee

Glenee New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    I am new to the TIVO group. I just purchased 2-edge antenna with lifetime/all in. I am coming from Directv Satellite ever since AT&T took over it has gotten worse and worse it just became ridiculous with what they were charging and then having to get them to make the bill right all the time. We also have Youtube TV for our streaming service. It comes with a unlimited DVR, which you need if you have a wife like mine. It is nice for a DVR, but is not as nice as TIVO or Directv's DVR. The picture quality is excellent.It takes a little getting used too,but in the end does what you want.It is not as accurate on stopping at the correct point when fast forwarding or rewinding. Most cases you have to tape the entire season of a show, individual shows are not possible in some cases but you have a unlimited DVR service. I would say for $65.00 a month its about as good as it gets right now for what it offers if you need a lot of DVR space. I have not seen any commercial I could no fast forward through. The reason I have the edge antenna is because of some local channels I like that streaming or other services don't offer. It has filled the hole nicely.
    Hope this helps out.
    P.S. I would like to know also why they don't offer the 4-tuner, multi gb storage units on Tivo anymore. I hope they are not turning into a AT&T, because that will be a disaster.

11. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Member

Feb 12, 2002
    I-L
    This. Do I want to battle with Comcast and get lucky enough to get connected to a greybeard who even knows what a cablecard is? I just had to do this with moving and it was a totally awful chore.

An interim solution of their lack of ability to re-activate it was to replace my cablecard with a new one even though the problem was clearing something in their system, not a hardware issue.

12. spitzcor

spitzcor New Member

Mar 12, 2005
  13. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    My guess is they are moving towards getting out of DVR business. They farmed out the 4 tuner OTA to Channel Master earlier this year and they seem to be mostly sold out. They then farmed out the 2 tuner models which were originally only sold in Canada, probably had a warehouse full. All you can buy from Tivo direct is the cable model. Which is the most vulnerable to becoming totally obsolete due to being cable card dependent. I would be interested to know if Tivo is even having DVRs manufactured anymore or just selling off what they have left. OTA market probably too small to come up with ATSC 3.0 device and no alternative for the cable model far as I know. As for AT&T, at least they will be around as a company for awhile, Tivo, who knows..................

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020 at 12:05 AM
  14. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I don't think they want/wanted to fail. Today's tech has just made their product near obsolete (at least the DVRs.) For those that own, enjoy while you can. I hope for a few more years at least.

15. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 New Member

Jul 19, 2020
  16. Ocresident

Ocresident Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Channel Master is having a Black Friday sale on the Edge OTA Model. $289 including lifetime service. I don’t get a lot of reception using an antenna so it’s not an option for me, but if you are lucky enough to get good reception this looks like a nice deal.

Special Offers | Channel Master

17. Ocresident

Ocresident Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I think this is one of the reasons why we are seeing less enthusiasm for TiVo DVRs on this forum compared to years past. It’s unlikely that cable companies will just pull the plug and stop providing them completely given that they are losing subscribers and don’t need to do more things to irritate their customer base. My question is which will become obsolete first, the cable card or the cable provider?

Old Roamio 0 likes this.
  18. Famous Jemez

Famous Jemez New Member

Friday
    The Sale on OTA Edge is probably the 2 tuner model with lifetime support.
    I don't think you can buy the 4 tuner model for less than $299. If so, I got ripped off. Speaking of rip-offs, I dumped Directv not because I was paying >$100/m to watch FOX Business and Tosh.0, but because I never watched and no longer wish to support the likes of CNN, MSNBS, Fox, AT&T, Xfinity, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. I dumped them all.
    I had used Tivo since it was a part of the old SD Directv boxes. Then I had a free standing unit for a while back in the '00s. It was like finding an old friend.
    Tivo, as best as my research allows, is owned by Xperi, an electronics firm which hopefully is not associated with these media outlets. I will watch the other networks for free OTA. Most of the stuff I recorded was OTA anyway. I do enjoy shortening my screen time by 33% by cutting commercials.
    I have been using my old Series 3 HD Tivo until the new 4 tuner edge box arrives. It is not supported but still provides great reception and live recording. The new model will hopefully breathe new life into OTA DVR-ing for us "OK- Boomers". And only $6.99 a month! 1 yr for less than the price of 1 m of the dish/cable.
    The 'lennials will complain that it can't incorporate streaming well, but you don't need DVR function until your dumb-ass provider pulls your series right in the middle of your binge.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    Dan Cour likes this.
  19. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    If you click on the little video on the page - it shows an arrow to the lifetime, not the annual service.

20. spitzcor

spitzcor New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    @Ocresident, wow, thanks for the news of the Black Friday deal! I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on that $349 deal now. I set a reminder for the 27th to make the purchase on Black Friday.

As for the comments about OTA vs. streaming, I am hoping that the Edge contains enough of the TV Everywhere service to make at-least some on-demand viewing work. I don't necessarily care if I can record it. I just picked up a Tivo Stream 4k for that stuff (understanding that it runs Google Chromecast software and thus has access to the Google ecosystem). It'd be a big plus if the Edge could do everything that the Stream 4k can do.