1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Flashes / Sluggishness between screen changes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by dolfer, May 23, 2017.

1. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    I've been getting black Flashes / Sluggishness between screen changes for the past couple months. Definitely a more recent development. Is Tivo aware? Any fixes on the horizon?

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Video Output setting?

dolfer likes this.
  3. allanmac

allanmac New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Do you have various pass-through resolutions enabled?

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I assume this is when you are changing channels? I eliminate that, as others have said, by fixing the output resolution.

If you are having flashes in some other format, please elaborate.

5. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Yes, I do. I have everything enabled except 480P.

6. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    I have everything enabled except 480P. I have an LG EF9500 which is a 4k OLED set that does HDR and supports Deep Color.

7. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    What have people been doing? Just selecting one or two output resolutions? What seems to be working for most people?

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I leave it at my TV default, and no others.

dolfer likes this.
  9. allanmac

allanmac New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I think most people have settled on selecting only the native resolution of their panel (typically auto-selected) and leaving the Bolt to scale as necessary.

My setup is: 4K/60Hz/HDR panel <> Denon X1300W <> BOLT

I have only one resolution checked (auto / 2160p) and black screen "resyncs" no longer occur.

There might be other experts here that can describe situations when it *is* actually useful to enable additional resolutions or the pass-through feature.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    dolfer likes this.
  10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I got annoyed by the delay and black screen that would flash when my (admittedly older) HDTV would switch input resolutions so I ended up forcing the TiVo to scale everything to 1080i just so the TV never saw a resolution change. But how quickly, and how much a distraction, a resolution change is entirely TV dependent - some TVs will be better about it than others.
    (And it was especially bad with the old SD TiVo menus because every time you went between a show (720p or 1080i) and the menu (480i) or back you'd get the TV flash its black screen because of the resolution change.)

I might get marginally better image if I let the TiVo output native resolutions, but the annoyance factor (at least with my TV) was way higher than any benefit. (Or there are people with really high end external scalers that would have the TiVo output native resolution to the scaler and have it feed the TV with the TVs native display resolution because it would do a better job scaling than either the TiVo or TV would)

dolfer likes this.
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have my Bolts set for 1080P output. I would rather my TV do the scaling. Plus my speaker bar doesn't have an overlay with anything higher than 2160P30.

dolfer likes this.
  12. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Thanks for this info! I will give it a try tonight. Our setup is pretty much identical. I have a Bolt > Denon S720W > 4K LG OLED. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Out of curiosity, what HDMI cables are you using?

13. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    OK... So I get home last night and my Tivo is LIGHTNING fast. No blank screen flashes. I haven't done anything yet. I'm wondering if I got a software update when I was complaining on Twitter? ;)

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not aware of any TiVo updates. Maybe you got a TV software update. Does your TiVo still have all resolutions selected except 480p? We also set ours to just the resolution supported by the TV to prevent the delay in resolution changes (did this with our S3 OLED back in 2007 as well).

Scott

15. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    I can only speak for my own situation but I do get better picture quality by selecting all available resolutions so the TV can display the content in its native format. I have the signal passing through a Pioneer Elite AV receiver but I have turned off all video signal processing and it passes the raw signal. It just becomes a "dumb switch". By turning off all intervention by the receiver it minimizes the time to restore the picture when it switches channels.

The TV is a 50" Panasonic plasma with the S90 panel if it makes a difference.

16. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    The update probably reverted your resolutions to "Auto". I see that occasionally here.

dolfer likes this.
  17. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    You are right!!!!! I went in to check the resolution and there was only ONE output selected which was "2160P - Auto"

What do I lose with this setting? Is it better to have my TV do the upconverting of my 720 & 1080 cable signals?

18. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    It depends. It is a matter of what works best in your setup. Experiment and decide. That's what I did. Some TV's do upconverting better. Some source devices do it better. I chose to do no upconverting at all. I just always run in native format. I have to admit I am biased against overdoing signal processing. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

BTW, I feel much the same about audio. If the source is strictly two channel PCM stereo, So be it. I leave it in stereo. If it is Dolby HD Master then great.

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I have given up trying to get the Tivo to work with my LG tv at 4k resolution. I changed the Tivo settings back to 1080 and I don't have any issues... 2160 just flickers like crazy and I'm too annoyed.

20. Simon B

Simon B New Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Hoping I can get some help from the group. I am a long time Tivo user. I upgraded to the Bolt a year ago. Really happy with it. Recently, the TV picture would go black for a second or two, then come back. It was pretty random but would happen every 2 - 20 minutes. TV was a Toshiba 1080 I had been using all along. I tried a LG 4k TV and it does the same thing. I switched out HDMI cables and still get the same result so I think the issue is with the Bolt. Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas on how to resolve? Thanks.