1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Bars at top and bottom of Amazon on Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Fireaxe12, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Fireaxe12

Fireaxe12 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I have a 2016 Bolt and a new 2018 Bolt Vox.
    We made the mistake of "upgrading" to the Tivo Experience on the 2016 Bolt. Now all content from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. are displayed squished with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

The problem didn't exist running the old interface and started the second the new UI was installed. I've tried all of the video settings in the settings menu, nothing helps.
    The 2018 Bold Vox does not have this issue.

Some code in the Tivo Experience screwed up my 2016.

Does anybody else have this problem, or am I the only one?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are the only one. Set the aspect ratio to panel for Amazon and you get what they send. Most movies are letterbox. The setting must be done before running the app.

3. Fireaxe12

Fireaxe12 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I'm familiar with the video settings, letterbox displays, and the Bolt's selection of Auto and manual settings. It makes no difference which selection is used (I've tried all combinations) I'm a broadcast engineer and know my way around.

4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Use the Zoom button to change aspect ratio while watching normal TV, then go into the Amazon or Hulu app and see if that changes it.
    Exit out of the app, use the Zoom button to change to something else, go back into the app and check again.
    Lather, Rinse, Repeat till you get the picture you are expecting.

I seem to remember that happening before, Amazon was zoomed (everyone was tall and fat with big heads) in but regular TV wasn't, I just picked a different aspect ratio and tried again and it was normal.
    I don't remember if it was FULL or PANEL, but seems like it was opposite of what you'd expect.
    (coming from someone who's worked in TV for 30 years)

This was all pre-Hydra of course, as I am still not upgrading to Hydra till they get the bugs worked out, or force me to upgrade.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What bugs?

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do you have some examples that you've seen this on and these are TV shows in 16:9 format? Trying to think what could give you a stretch view on width but not height. Wondering if this is more a video resolution issue between the TiVo and your TV (even though odd that it would just be streaming and not regular TV as well in that case). Are you using fixed resolution output on the TiVo? You might try it if not.

Scott

7. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Not being able to copy shows from Hydra TiVo to Hydra TiVo without using TiVo Online which has also been buggy of late, is the main one.
    I stream a lot of shows from various boxes to my main Bolt, but the ones on WiFi don't stream well, so it's better to copy the whole show then watch it.
    Then all of the other "features" that folks are complaining about, if one complains about it, it's a bug not a feature.

8. Jul 1, 2018 #8 of 13
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No, a bug is a feature that doesn’t work right. Words have meaning. Hydra does what it was designed to do very well. Missing features or design choices are not bugs. No matter how you try to spin it.

9. Jul 2, 2018 #9 of 13
    Fireaxe12

Fireaxe12 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Keep in mind that this problem didn't exist on the same Bolt before upgrading to "The TiVo Experience". The hardware and display did not change. The feed from Amazon and Netflix were properly displayed before the upgrade. Now they are not. If I'm the only lucky guy to have this problem, I'll bother TiVo some more and see what happens.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. Fireaxe12

Fireaxe12 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    The hardware and display were working perfectly until I made the mistake of selecting "yes" to the update to TiVo Experience option. The only thing that has changed is the firmware. I'm merely asking if I'm the only person on the planet who's Bolt no longer displays 1024, 1920, or 3840 correctly. They are all squished with black bars top and bottom. I need to keep calling TiVo.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With my Roamio with Hydra, I just played the trailer for the movie Fury. It's my benchmark. It was letterbox, since the original aspect ratio is 2:40 to 1. The video was 1080/p24 and audio DD+. It looks just like it does on my non-Hydra Roamio. I only have 1080p ability.

Must be a Bolt problem.

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Unless I missed it, you did not indicate what programs in particular so we can verify.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes, I read that but the Bolt also acted differently with regards to HD auto negotiation on the output with the same hardware but upgrades to Hydra so there could be other factors at play (which is why I asked what output resolution you were using).

Scott