black and white screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by krantu, Mar 23, 2010.

1. krantu

krantu New Member

Mar 23, 2010

Advertisements

Hey I was hoping that someone here can help me. I am sorry for the length, but I wanted to get all the information in.

I have a series 2 tivo, it was given to me by my parents when they got a new one. this tivo has been used on three different TVs and there has never been a problem with it. A few days ago my parents gave me their old TV (which is the same one that the tivo started out on) and when I hooked up the tivo, the screen was black and white. So I checked everything to make sure it was set up right, it was. So I unplugged everything and stared over, same thing happened again. So I tried plugging it into video 2 and 3, same thing black and white. Then I hooked up my wii and playstation, in all three and they both had perfect color. Then I tried restarting the system, didn't fix it. Then I hooked it back up to the old TV, no problems color was fine. So then I try switching the cords, for different ones (red, white, yellow). That didn't fix the problem. At this point I decide to call Tivo, they had me do several different things, they had me switch the cords all around, then i hooked just the cable to the TV, and it worked fine. Two hours and two different people later, They had no idea what the problem was. He told me there were two more things I could try, but if it didn't work then I would have to get a new TV or a new tivo for it to work properly. I didn't have an s-video cable at my house I am going to get one tomorrow, so I haven't tried that, I am hoping this will fix the problem. He also said I could try to reset the system.

I am not sure if either one of these will fix the problem, but I wanted to get your opinions/advice on what will fix it. I did not reset it because I don't want it to delete all my stuff. So if I do reset it will it save my already recorded shows on the hard drive or will everything be gone? Does anyone have a clue about what is going on here? or what I might do to fix it?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    What sort of input jacks were you using on the TV?

I have an old Commodore 64 type video monitor that works great as a "TV" when you have a recorder with its own tuner. Thing is, the composite input has a switch next to it that, if it's in the wrong position, will only produce a black and white picture.

Your situation sounds similar, but you're getting color off the game systems.
    (Were you using exactly the same type of input cables and method? Composite on all three devices? If not...)

What happens if you feed the TiVo into the TV using the RF input?

3. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    It sounds to me that you may be trying to connect the video portion of the RCA composite A/V cable into a component video (RGB) input on the TV.

I could be completely wrong, but that's exactly what it sounds like. . . .

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Yep. Something like that.