Bizzare rebooting problem - Only when connected to SAT

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bobsbigboy3000, Jul 9, 2007.

1. bobsbigboy3000

bobsbigboy3000 Newbie Hacker

Jun 9, 2005
    Northern...

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a dupe thread. I tried and tried to search but didn't find anything exactly like this.

I have a Philips 704 that was upgraded to a 300GB drive about 2 years ago now. We had power go about about three or four weeks ago, but the unit worked fine after power was restored. The unit prior to the power outage ran fine. I ocassionally pulled it out and blew out the dust, etc. Life was great.

Last Friday the unit froze. I thought, well after two years, maybe it was nuttin' but then upon the reboot the unit would get to 20% - 30% through the connecting to SAT then reboot. I let this go on for a while then decided to disconnect the SAT cables. Rebooted and it went through its usual paces, upon not finding the SAT it prompted to troubleshoot, or fix later, or watch shows on the unit.

Now this is where it gets interesting. If I connect the SAT cables the machine reboots. If I just leave the unit unattached it's happy as a clam. Even after sitting for and working great for 2 days without any reboots- if I connect the SAT cables and reconnect to SAT it'll reboot.

I should note that I tossed in a new 320GB drive that I reimaged from the existing drive and it behaves the same way with either drive. New or old.

So, my question are...

Do you think it's the M/B of the unit that has a bad chip?
    Or could my cables or SAT dish be funked up how and causing this?
    OR, some greater conspirascy therory that DT is somehow trying to get me to downgrade my hardware?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What dish do you have? Is there an external multiswitch being used? Have you tried connecting just one sat cable at a time? If you have an external multiswitch, bypass it. I'm thinking a fried LNB or multiswitch.

When you get it working again, put it ona UPS.

3. bobsbigboy3000

bobsbigboy3000 Newbie Hacker

Jun 9, 2005
    Northern...
    I have the oval dish with 4 ports and have two units working off of it. I guess I could try hooking up to the other room as well?

It is hooked up to a pretty decent UPS, but the power was off for almost a day so it really didn't help. I had to unplug it anyway.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Definitely try different cables from the dish.

Check all cable connections from dish to receiver for corrosion, shorts, anything that looks unusual.

A UPS helps stabilize the power when it comes back even if the unit's battery doesn't make it through the duration of the outage.