Bizarre R10 Recording Behavior

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lmk911, Jan 7, 2006.

1. lmk911

lmk911 New Member

Dec 17, 2000
    Northern...
    One of my R10s has done something I have never heard of before. It recorded the 3:15 am airing of Hayao Miyazaki’s Princess Mononoke twice. I can view both recordings however if I pause the first recording and try to view the second recording, it starts from where I paused the first. The entire movie was recorded from my wishlist. The unit is less than one month old and was purchased from Best Buy.

I do not know if this was just a fluke or a symptom of problems with the unit. My other R10 recorded the exact same showing and had no problems.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Do you have auto recording of suggestions turned on?
    I think that it could record from your wishlist and as a suggestion!

3. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Do you have your R10 connected to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)?

4. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I have previously seen double recordings in rare situations with a 1st gen SAT-T60. It's probably a subtle software race condition that TiVo hasn't been able to (or hasn't bothered to) track down.

I've had it happen less than once a year, so it's probably nothing to be overly concered about. And in my case it definitely wasn't suggestions, since that's the first thing I turned off.

5. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Are you sure it recorded twice or is it just being listed in two groups?

If you have view by groups turned on, turn it off (press 2 in Now Playing) and see if you still have two recordings listed.

6. lmk911

lmk911 New Member

Dec 17, 2000
    Northern...
    Jim,

I automatically turned suggestions off when I set up the unit. This was an auto recording from my wishlist.

tbeckner,

Yes. Both R10s have their own UPS.

Phantom,

I am glad I am not the only one who has encountered this glitch. Thank you for the reassurance.

MighTiVo,

I have groups turned on however these are listed as separate recordings.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

7. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Actually I have only seen it once in three years on only one of the HDVR2's. So, in six DVR years, it has only happened once and I cannot remember what I thought caused it, except there was a power situation on the DVR that was not connected to a UPS.

8. lmk911

lmk911 New Member

Dec 17, 2000
    Northern...
    Yikes! The same R10 has once again made duplicate (or what appears to be) recordings from my Miyazaki wishlist.

I wonder if I set up a wishlist for different director or an actor, if it will exhibit the same behavior.