bizarre interference, any ideas?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVoEvan74, Dec 10, 2005.

1. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm using a Radio Shack A/V broadcaster to beam TiVo from one floor to a TV in another room. The TiVo has a linksys usb wireless adapter attached.

The oddest thing is that when our computer wireless network is off (airport express), I get interference in the visual-- broad bands of moving snow. When it's on, it transmits fine!

Any explanations of what seems to be a counter-intuitive problem?

Any solutions other than leaving the wireless network on 24/7?

2. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    When our wireless network is off, I get these rippling white bands of snow (horizontal) with lots of audio interference. It is impossible to watch the TiVo.

Anyone have any ideas? TiVoPony? TiVoJerry? Someone?

I'd like to get a fix other than leaving the wireless on 24-7.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    How and what do you turn off? By "Network" do you mean just the router, or do you mean all devices wil adapters as well? If not the latter, it could be they are scanning for a router, interfering with the video sender.

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I think we're going to need a heck of a lot more info to get a clue here.

Like: I have no idea how anything is hooked up (either video or network), what your source is and where the interference is - In to the TiVo, out of it, over the Radio Shack thing...

5. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    We turn off the cable modem and the Airport Express unit... as soon as we do that, the interference shows up on the TV screen with the upstairs unit which is receiving the video signal from the A/V sender that's in the basement on top of the TiVo.

Any other info needed?

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    So you know it's the A/V sender that's having issues - correct? Does it use WiFi-ish frequencies? Have you tried turning off just one of the two gadgets?

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you are just turning on the WAP, then surely the interference is coming from the various wi-fi adapters scanning around the band, in in the process interfering with the wireles video system.
    Try disconnecting the various wi-fi adapters also, and see, or likely lock them to a channel.

8. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I appreciate the help! Sorry for being dense here, but I didn't understand a word of it! :) Just kidding.

Let's see... yes the intereference only occurs on the TiVo that's receiving the A/V signal... but why does the interference show up only *after* I turn off the cable modem and Airport Express? I figured interference is caused by something *additional* trying to use the WiFi-ish frequencies-- not by removing a device!

I tried putting the cable modem into standby, turning it off, and turning off the AE separately... I even tried unplugging the USB adapter... it's pretty clear that the interference only occurs when the AE is OFF. It's a one -second pulse, as if the TiVo itself (??) were searching for the network and somehow the failure to find it is creating interference... I don't get it!

I don't know what a "WAP" is... (we use one of those password schemes, WAP, WEP, whatever--the only one TiVo supports, the less secure one!) Is WAP an acronym for the netowrk? But the problem arises when I turn it OFF not on!!

The A/V system has 4 channels, only one works well under any circumstances so that's the one we use. As far as I remember, I set up the AE network to a specific channel, originally 9 I believe then changed to 11.

Do you think that changing that channel to something else could help? IIRC, it was a major headache last time getting everything back on the network, but I think I have some notes I took.

I guess I'm trying to understand what the source of the interference is first!

Again, I truly appreciate your trying to help me trouble-shoot this.