Bit of context to dropping UK S1s?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TCM2007, Apr 1, 2011.

1. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  2. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Cue more numerically challenged posts about how £10 a month from UK S1 subscribers could save the company... :D

It doesn't say anything we don't already know, nor does the article factor in the increasing number of cableco partnerships TiVo have negotiated in the past couple of years. Though like you say, it provides a bit of context about why the direct subscription model is failing.

Much more detailed breakdown and explanation here (but watch out for CEO spin)

TiVo Inc Jan 2011 Results

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I don't think their loss of US subscribers or Tivo's worsened financial position is the reason why UK Series 1 service has been cancelled.

I believe the UK Series 1 service has been pulled explicitly at the demand of Virgin Media UK's management who wanted the product to be seen to only be available in the UK to paying subscribers to their television service.

However as Virgin Media are Tivo's only point of apparent major service expansion for Tivo (if that is the rollout does not stall as it has done with cable companies in the USA) it seems that this is why Tivo were willing to acquiesce to this demand.

4. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'm aware you believe that Pete. I don't; S1 ownership will be a rounding error on a spreadsheet of the TiVo installed base within a year. The idea that they gave a toss is faintly silly.

5. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    That means that quite a lot of Tivo door stops exist in the USA unless someone has found an alternate use for them...

Automan.

6. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Yes, that's probably right. Having Virgin as a viable alternative for over 50% of their current subscriber base can't possibly be a reason to pull a service that has been making losses for years, around half of which (Lifetime subs) were amortized from the balance sheet by 2008.

Oh, hang on. It's not April 1st any more, is it? :rolleyes: