Bit of a slug speed wise ?

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by phcjpp, May 10, 2011.

1. phcjpp

phcjpp New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    No insult to slugs intended but .....

I had 2 of the new virgin tivo's installed over the weekend and my wife and I had a proper play with them last night. It summary it seems really slow. About the only thing that is OK is the EPG. We had the original Tivo in the UK so were pretty excited to gewt the new one but must admit it doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over sky at the moment.

The search and on demand stuff is sooooooooo slooooooooow as to be almost unusable. There was a serious amount of huffing and puffing going on from the wife.

Looking through films to rent sent me running back to my AppleTv. Just painfully slow.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of performance ?

Cheers

Chris

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It's variable - some days is snappy, others slow.
    Seems they really should do more caching of data on the box.

3. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    Funny you should say that. A couple of days ago we decided to watch a film for the first time via Tivo and I also gave up browsing films as it was soooo slow and did it via Apple TV instead - now glad I upgraded my ATV 1 to an ATV 2 recently !

4. Nialli

Nialli New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I've found my TiVo (now a month old) to be surprisingly fast, even with OnDemand. I'd say it was faster the my V+ and couldn't actually be any faster for all functions.

5. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, it is very sluggish for most things in comparison with even a Series 1 which is 10 year old technology. I am really disappointed that they couldn't at least match the original performance.

6. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    I too don't see any slowness with on demand. I suspect it's something to do with network loading\loading on your segment of the network. It's not the TiVo that's slow, it's the getting data from the network.

7. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    So why is my Apple TV lightning fast (and also everything else I do on the internet).

8. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Mine is very slow too. Seems to be the discovery bar loading all the time slowing the menus down. Imagine when they start with the advert videos. Plus the poorly thought out menu navigation.

9. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    That Discovery bar has a lot to answer for. I hate the thing, have not used it once yet, it just gets in the way and limits what can be shown on the screen. To think that it impacts performance as well just adds insult to injury.

10. richardc1983

richardc1983 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Leeds
    I think if they activate the 2nd stage of the CPU it would be a lot faster I think.

11. m1ke

m1ke New Member

May 3, 2002
    birmingham
    i hope so

my tivo is fine whilst recording and during playback (inc streaming/iplayer etc)

its the menu's and interface where things get slow and the 'angry donut' (red busy ring) appears.

it can be very slow when scrolling down the my shows list, and generally navigating menu's. It's painfully slow when searching the on demand a-z (sometimes 30seconds or more page to page) - so i've completey given up on that.

It is not consitent tho, sometimes its not-so-slow and othertimes virtually unusable (whether or not its recording on one or more of the tuners at the same time doesnt seem to make a difference.)

Overall the new tivo is nothing like as fast as my old S1 which is a disapointment/frustration given we're 10yrs later on since then. But i'm definitely happy to stick with it the whilst Virgin iron out the bugs (and switch off debugging maybe?) just so long as they do.

12. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    If it's not consistent, then it really must be network dependent - I don't think they are caching all those images - why not?
    look how fast the guide is compared to other screens - no pictures, and that's also the only fullscreen HD page without the discovery bar...

13. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    But I'm not convinced they ever will. It's the modern way with software, just gets more and more bloated. Modern software development tools encourage feature creep at the expense of performance. The snappiest version of Windows ever was 3.1 (I used to run it from floppy), the most usable version of Word was 2.0 (had 99% of the features any normal user needs) etc. You have to go back at least 20 years to an era where programmers cared about performance (I speak as a system software developer throughout the 70's and 80's).

14. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    Just scrolling menus shouldn't require network access - and anyway, I don't see erratic network performance on my computers connected to the same.

15. SPR

SPR New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Guildford,...
    Impressive. How did you manage to connect to the same dedicated link to VM that TiVo uses, to perform that comparitive test?

We have no idea what firewall or QoS structure is being used, or whether the same proxy/gateway is being used for external access. (Well at least I don't).

16. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    I thought the whole point of a dedicated link was to improve performance, not make it worse.
    It certainly has the feel to me of badly implemented software rather than a network bottleneck.

17. SPR

SPR New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Guildford,...
    When I segregate networks it is generally for security, rather than transport improvements.

The architecture for TiVo appears currently to use a private network (10.x.x.x) rather than a public address (88.x.x.x) as in the VM broadband access point.

Without knowing this architecture in full however, we cannot determine what to expect from an end to end perspective.

18. big_dirk

big_dirk uktivo.blogspot.com

Feb 17, 2006
    what do you mean? is the CPU crippled?

19. big_dirk

big_dirk uktivo.blogspot.com

Feb 17, 2006
    I agree with what you're saying there. I read somewhere VM TiVo's interface is built on Java. I know some Java applets can be fast but generally in my experience they're slow and bloated.

20. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    The whole TiVo premier UI is built on Flash.