Billing errors - annual fee for my lifetime bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Fred Dunfey, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Jun 5, 2020 #1 of 30
    Fred Dunfey

Fred Dunfey New Member

Jun 5, 2020

Advertisements

i brought a bolt 1tb in may 2016 with life time service.

Yesterday, I got a message that says I owe an annual fee or system will be disconnected. I know I purchased the Bolt with life time service. There has been no billings since I activated in 2016. Now they say that won't charge me for past billings but I must start paying annual fee.

I got know no where with three phone calls a a chat. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. Jun 5, 2020 #2 of 30
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Does your account on TiVo.com agree with you or them?

3. Jun 5, 2020 #3 of 30
    Fred Dunfey

Fred Dunfey New Member

Jun 5, 2020
    The account enter for my device says annual. I have no way of knowing if it was changed. There was never any reason for me to log into account. In May of 2016 I activated 2 minis and the Bolt 1TB. There is no billing history on account. There is no credit acrd entered .

You could say I am pisssed. I wouldnt have bought the equipment without the lifetime deal. They are saying I had a one year skip in annua fee. Why would they have not billed me for the last two years. They say it was a glitch. The glitch was the new company found a way to bill me. Peace, Fred

4. Jun 5, 2020 #4 of 30
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry. The OCD in me is always checking System Information. From my Roamio:
    SI-1.JPG

5. Jun 5, 2020 #5 of 30
    Fred Dunfey

Fred Dunfey New Member

Jun 5, 2020

Advertisements

I just checked my Bolt and couldn't get the same information.

6. Jun 5, 2020 #6 of 30
    Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    You should just check your email receipt from Tivo. It should have come from STORE@tivo.com and have the line item, "Bundle, All-in one-time TiVo service fee" to indicate lifetime service.

7. Jun 6, 2020 #7 of 30
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    He should also be able to check this online in his account as well.

Scott

8. Jun 6, 2020 #8 of 30
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I think there should be an "order history" on your account if you bought direct from Tivo? If not, where did you purchase, do you have a receipt? The amount you paid should give a clue if lifetime service or annual. If no billing history or credit card info kind of indicates lifetime. But I don't see how there could be no info if you did purchase from Tivo. If not, well depends on where you bought, retailer or 3rd party. If you did not purchase from Tivo I doubt they are at fault, I would contact whomever you bought from.

9. Jun 6, 2020 #9 of 30
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Back in the Premiere days they used to have a sort of trial or employee lifetime service. I went to buy a "lifetime" Premiere from someone, I asked them to show me the account screen. It was not "5", it was some double digit number, maybe 13. We called, it was a special account, the person selling it got it from a Tivo employee. It would only stay lifetime if never moved to another account, would then switch to regular billing. Not sure if that situation is/was possible with Roamios/Bolts etc. If so might explain this, Xperi takes over and all those "special" lifetime accounts go away? I've seen a few for sale at ebay over the years, the seller warned if you moved to your account lifetime would go away. Don't remember models, my experience was a Premiere.

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I just got an odd onscreen message as well. Said, they neglected to bill me and that while they wouldn’t back charge me they were going to charge my CC on file for an annual sub or cancel next week. The odd thing is, I bought this bolt with one year sub free, I think paid one year and then converted to lifetime nearly three years ago for the 99$ fee when taking a lifetime off an older premier device - and now haven’t been billed anything since then. It would seem odd if this was an EXCEPTION since the message came over the TiVo messages to device feed and not an email. I also haven’t received an email. Seems pretty odd, they certain have had my contact info for the past 20 years.

11. Brian Docili

Brian Docili New Member

Jun 25, 2020
    I just checked my email receipt from Tivo for lifetime service and it came from SERVICE@TIVO.COM so check both. In my case, I signed up for the monthly plan when I purchased the item (that receipt came from STORE@ ) but then I changed to the lifetime during the initial 30 day period and the new receipt is from SERVICE@

12. Webmistressming

Webmistressming New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    You are not the only one.

I purchased lifetime service for my Bolt in 2016, when I bought it. I have NEVER paid an annual fee.

Now my credit card has been charged, and the Tivo site shows no record of EITHER lifetime service OR payments of previous annual fees.

Disputed the charge with my credit card issuer, going to find my documentation, and then Tivo is getting an EARFUL from me tomorrow.

13. karlegas

karlegas Karl Egas

Dec 3, 2013
    Hi, I have similar situation than you. I purchased my Tivo Bolt in August 2016 and I only found a receipt that pay 1 year Annual service, but after that Tivo did not charge more, recently appears a message on my screen saying that its system have a glitch not billing during more than 2 years.

The problem is that I cannot access to my account online, I enter my account info and go to the account but appears a 504 error,

504 ERROR
    The request could not be satisfied.
    CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
    If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.
    Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
    Request ID: MtKnr2Hnsbn5Ng3cRZoGax-kQwftv_bPj3V_g4O7ecc0jBjD0gahXQ==

I cannot verify my account or review the payment history but in my Tivo show account status 3 Account in Good Standing. They offer only pay annual or monthly $19.99 from the next month. I decide cancel my service and get a new Tivo Edge for a better montly rate $9.99.

I think that the glitch can be true. And the new owners are cleaning the house but I don’t know if for the customer benefit.

Karl

14. karlegas

karlegas Karl Egas

Dec 3, 2013

There was an offer in 2018 called Summer Breeze to transfer to premium for $99 but I don’t remeber purchased.

For a limited time only, replace Product Lifetime Service on your current qualifying TiVo DVR with a new All-in-service plan for just $99 when you purchase a new TiVo BOLT VOX. A savings of $450!
    Must use TSN from list below as promo code.
    Offer ends August 7, 2018. Supplies limited.

15. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Login to your account. Look at your devices. The Premiere should be under inactive devices if they transferred the service to the Bolt (usually, in the past Tivo not very diligent about deactivating some of the devices transferred from). Normally that 99 transfer, the offer was to purchase a new/refurbished device and transfer the service to the new device. Then they deactivate service on the device you are transferring from after a certain amount of time. Perhaps the issue here is they did something else with you, you did not purchase a new device when doing the transfer, supposedly they transferred to a device you already owned? I'd check the status of the Premiere, both online and maybe hook it up if you still have it.

A bit late but when purchasing/transferring things like lifetime service (retail price $549 for non OTA only boxes) I would suggest checking account statuses on your online account right away. Make sure the lifetime is on the correct device.

16. Webmistressming

Jun 26, 2020
    This is what is so baffling: the lifetime service showed up on the Bolt's info screen and online until very recently. When I added a new Mini a couple of months, my account correctly showed purchase of Lifetime Service for my Bolt.

Suddenly, this unit's Lifetime Service is gone from the Tivo.com account area, replaced with Annual--and this unauthorized charge is now on my credit card.

Rather than waste more time trying to find a warm body at Tivo support, I'm disputing the charge with the credit card company. They have the record of my payment in 2016, so the chargeback should be a slam dunk.

17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Seems a lot of things have changed since Xperi took over. Seems they are doing a bunch of house cleaning, and some of it WRONG. I will say this, anytime I make a purchase from Tivo now, new device or any sort of transfer, I will login to my account and take a PICTURE of my devices with account statuses. You will probably succeed with the charge back but that does not mean Tivo will just accept it. While you may get the money you might have them "after" you, collection agencies, hits on your credit report etc. I'd be careful, consider the amount, if low enough maybe suck it up, may not be worth the credit hit and phone calls from agencies....................... A full year might be worth a charge back, a month or two probably not, IMO.

18. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    I also received that online message regarding my Bolt. I remember when I purchased this (used on eBay) back in 2017 Tivo gave me a 1-year free subscription, and they never charged me for the ensuing years, so for me it is legit. I think I'll call them to see what my options are. Doesn't make sense to pay $549 for lifetime when i can purchase a Bolt on eBay with Lifetime for around $300.

19. Webmistressming

Jun 26, 2020
    So after a frustrating go-round via chat and phone with Tivo, their position is this:

Their claim: I bought a box with a ONE-year subscription, and they just forgot to bill me for three years, until now.

No help at all from the folks at Tivo, and they claim "this is happening to lots of people".

20. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    I contacted TiVo and there are no current promotions for Lifetime. I'm not willing to pay $549.99 for it, especially considering the uncertainty of where TiVo will be as a company in the coming years. I will pay for the annual service and re-assess next year. I figure the prices on eBay will only go further down as these get older if I decide to purchase one with Lifetime, or maybe a promotion will pop up that makes sense to take advantage of. All in all I figure I did pretty well with getting three years of free subscription on this Bolt.