Billing Confusion

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lawilson2, Sep 14, 2007.

1. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, today is my last day of my 1yr contract. I'll be paying $12.95/month from here on out until I choose to cancel. Great.

I call Tivo and ask if I can just pre-pay that 12.95/month ($155.40/yr) so I don't have to deal with monthly billing. I was told that if I did that, I would have to pay $170 or so and be put on a new contract. Huh?

Why wouldn't they want people to just prepay and save costs on billing at the rate they are currently on? It's confusing for me that I would have to get a whole new agreement just to pay my bill early. I don't care for monthly billing and I pre-pay most things just to get it out of the way.

Of course, I could be seeing this wrong, so that's why I'm posting here for clarification.

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    They just don't have a provision in their system for that. Could they do it? Sure. But they're not setup for it in their billing and accounting system. A one-year pre-pay is $179, and that's all they have in the system. Two years is $299 - and three years is $299. (Three years is 'normally' $349, but it seems to be on permanent special at a 3-for-2 price.)

If you have the scratch, pre-paying the three years is the best deal, brings it to about $8.31/month.

3. Ishma

Ishma New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Sounds like you might have a special deal if you only paying $12.95/month after a 1yr contract. Normally it would go up to $16.95/month. In that case paying $179 is actually a good deal.

So enjoy your great deal.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

2 years is $179
    3 years is $299 - not a "special" anymore

It was changed a month or two ago.

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I believe the rate wasn't increased until November of last year, so the OP would still be paying the older rate.

6. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    If you want to prepay, go for 3 years at $299. That's less than two years at $12.95/month.

7. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Yeah, my contract ends today at the 12.95/month rate, but I was told that it would stay the same. I had no idea they went up on the subscription costs to 16.95/month! If I really thought that I would have my S3 another 3 years I'd consider the 3 year option. I'll ponder over it and see if that's the best deal.

I cancelled my Tivo in the bedroom (s2) that I was paying 6.95/month for when it's contract ended last week. That was because I barely used it and I'm waiting for the Slingbox Catcher that I'll hook up to that TV so I can sling from my current slingbox on the s3 directly to my bedroom. It'll save on tivo and cablecard fees.

8. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Another 2 years, since that's the breakeven point. Also, you are free to change the service to any other hardware within the 3-year period.

9. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Good stuff; thanks for that tidbit!

10. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Just to update, I went on and prepaid the 299 fee. It made sense, and it's good to know that it's transferable to a new box should something happen with my current S3 (it does have a 3 year PR warranty with Frys that I got free with it so that's great). Plus, since it's a subscription service, I can write off the large payment on this year's taxes for the type of work I do. Cool.