Biggest Loser OAD 5/10/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by IJustLikeTivo, May 10, 2011.

1. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    A bit annoyed that Jay squeaked his way into the contest last week courtesy of his fairy godfather but he sure made it work this week. I'd rather it was Austin but the girls sure earned it.

Gonna be fun.

2. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I was glad to see Hannah and Olivia both make it. Irene and Jay are pretty meh... don't care about either of them either way. Austin really annoys me, though, so I am glad he is gone.

3. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I figured Austin was really using that 1 pound advantage as a crutch and it showed. He just didn't put in the effort required this week and I think he knew it.

I wish it were Austin instead of Jay but I'm glad that the sisters both made it. They should be able to help each other work out when they go home, so that should be a sort of advantage right there that the others don't have.

4. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Unless one of them moves for a little while, probably not. Olivia lives in NYC and Hannah lives in Tennessee.

5. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I thought the 1 lb. vs 10 grand offer was interesting. I also think that you should take the 10,000 in virtually every case. The whole "just to be safe" response is the same mentality that leads to buying extended warranties and unnecessary medical tests. :)

You aren't risking 10G to get a direct chance at 250K. The only way taking the 1lb helps is if: you will be under the yellow line by exactly 1 pound this week, you are likely to get voted off this week vs. the other person, AND you will win the 250K at the end of the show. If all three of those things don't happen you are throwing away 10,000$!

I was annoyed with Jillian yelling at Olivia for taking the 10 grand. Clearly, Jillian doesn't understand that 10,000$ in your hand is a lot of money to many people. It was sad that Austin threw away 10 grand and is now going home anyway.

6. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Speaking of the prize, they really, really need to kick up the prize level a lot. It's the cheapest major reality show with the lowest cost of production and the most money from product placement. $250K was cheap at the start and given the money tree that BL is, they really need to share the wealth, literally.

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Interesting! I didn't know (or remember) that they weren't living near one another. Thanks

8. blogan

blogan New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Really? I was thinking it would be interesting to have a show with a lesser prize. Get people who really want to lose weight. Or have the prize based on the total amount of weight lost (or percentage). People would strategize about keeping around the really big people longer so the pot could grow.

9. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I'd imagine $10,000 means a whole lot less to Jillian than it does common folk.

I was glad to see Austin go. He has struck me all season long as being a straight up d-bag and his dad wasnt any better. Im glad they are both gone. Good riddance.

Ive recently started watching the Australian Biggest Loser (Season 6) and I really enjoy the format better. I guess they get TBL 5 nights a week down there.

10. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Yeah, Olivia lives in NYC for her opera career. I think it sounded from some previous episodes that Hannah still lives with her parents, or at least near them.

11. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    How are you doing that? Did you buy the DVD's or can you download it somewhere? :)

12. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I heard from a friend that Season 6 is on Usenet.

I really wish they would bring the format over here they use over there, at least for this season.

They have 4 trainers and each trainer got a team. Then the trainer had to go live with the contestants for a week before they came to the Biggest Loser complex. The trainers had to eat and drink everything the contestants did. They eat some interesting stuff down under.

13. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Did I hear right that this is Jillian's last season?

14. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I think you're the only person in America who doesn't know that! She announced it just after this season started. That's the primary reason for two new trainers.

15. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Oh. Well not the only one. My wife didn't know either. :D It sure explains all the new bodies... To be honest, I'm not in love with either of the new trainers so far.. :eek:

I'll admit I have been a little distracted watching this season. Been half watching and half working on the laptop the last couple of months. It's starting to get good now. I've been a fan of Irene since day one. I always thought she looked like a thin person trapped in a fat body. Kind of like my former self. It's great to see her emerging from her self made prison. :)

16. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    So anyone want to conjecture about the outcomes next week?

I think if Jay is below the yellow line, America votes him off vs. any of the three women.

I think if Irene is below the yellow line with one of the sisters, she is in trouble because America will want to see the cute sister team both go into the final.

I think if both sisters fall below the line, that Hannah gets sent home. She's a little abrasive and her sister seems to be a bit more appealing to the masses.

I do not think Jay will do well at home, even if he makes it to the final 3.

I'm hoping for an all woman finale but I don't think it will happen. You've got the sisters who are already at a proper weight and BMI right now. You've got Irene, who is 'technically' overweight still but real close. And finally Jay, who is still obese and has a good chunk of weight to lose. Maybe I'm mean but I don't want to see an still obese person win the prize. It just seems wrong. "Yeah, I won. Now I just need to lose another 100lbs to be an actual healthy weight..."

17. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Id also like to see an all woman final. Jay has to know his back is against the wall tho. If I had to pick someone not be a lock in the final 3, at this point it would be Irene. She's put up good numbers and Ive enjoyed watching her lose weight but I think at this point Id rather see the two sisters make it. Not hating on Irene at all, I just dont think Jay will put himself in a position to not be a lock on the final 3.

Should be interesting to watch Jay try to run the marathon this week. The girls are going to smoke him. I bet they finish at least an hour ahead of him.

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ugh! I wanted the old guy to get ax instead of the kid. :(

I don't know why, but I don't like the guy. I would have much preferred watching the young kid move on but he's doing well, so I'm glad for that.