Big Ten Network in HD -- Mpeg4 only?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Squeak, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have seen that DirecTv has signed a deal for the Big Ten Network, and that they will broadcast games in HD.

Is it same to assume that these games are going to be in Mpeg4, and not in Mpeg2?

Reason why I am asking is that I have had no reason to think about upgrading my HR10-250 -- until now that is. If I will only be able to get the HD games with one of the new HR20's, then I will need to get on that ball.

Thanks!

2. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Almost certainly.

3. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Rats :(

Just tried calling to find out about upgrading, and the CSR was adamant that the HR10-250 would work just fine with the BTN HD, once it goes live.

Probably will just need to call back. Is there a better number, or department to ask for who actually know the HD stuff well?

4. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have absolutely no inside knowledge here whatsoever, just pure speculation, but I would not be surprised if BTN HD programming is indeed available in MPEG-2 on the HR10-250.

I highly doubt the BTN is going to broadcast full-time in HD. If anything, they will only offer HD games in three-hour blocks on Saturdays, in which case it would not be surprsing to see DirecTV throw those up on one of the HD spillover channels (94 or 95) that they use for things like NFL Network games and the occasional MLB, NBA or NHL broadcast.

5. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    That would be very nice! The question is, how will I know? Just wait until closer to game time and see what the announce?

6. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    That's the tough part. The first and second-level CSR's so rarely have the correct info on things like this.

7. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    In about a month you will know.

I just called them and am getting the HR20 and the new dish for $20. I didn't even need to go to retention. Installation is free. And I get to keep my HR10 and sell my wife's upgraded DSR-6000 on eBay for more than $20.

Seriously, it's only $20 and you get to keep your HR10-250, so why take a chance?

8. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'll get around to it at some point, but I don't want to deal with the extra wiring right now and all that nonsense. My house needs a new roof in the next 6 mos. or so, so that might be an ideal time.

9. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Because my understanding is that you have to be subscribed to the HD Package to receive local channels with the HR20, even if they are OTA.

Right now with my HR10-250 I get all my HD channels OTA, and do not subscribe to the HD package. I subscribe to the HD package during football season if a OSU games gets put on ESPN or ESPN2.

If I were to get the HR20, I would have to pay the HD package all year, even to get my local networks on HD, off the air.

10. mattbooty

mattbooty New Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Wouldn't it have to be in MPEG2? They are supposed to have it live before the college football season begins because they are broadcasting some of the early home games, so that puts it live by Sept 1st at the latest, I was under the impression that the MPEG4 satellite would not be turned on by then. I could be wrong about the satellite being on by then though.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Which means you would also get the satellite HD channels your package contains. Including whatever of the 70-100 channels of yours they put up in September and beyond.

The financial dynamic is changing. While the HD access fee wasn't as good a deal, it is going to get to be very good.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If they do the HD games at startup, they probably will be MPEG2. But what happens after D10 is turned on is anybody's guess at this time. Who knows, they may hold off on BTN HD until then, they may squeeze them on MPEG2 this season (like the NFL), they may move them from MPEG2 to MPEG4 (and call the MPEG2 games "previews" like MHD and NGHD).

13. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    The BTN claims that they're going produce more original HD than any other network in history.

I think it's very likely that you'll see spill-over HD programming on 94/95 but I don't think the OP wants to rely on the good graces of the football gods that there won't be conflicting programming that prevents that.

It would be a real pinch to put the BTN HD on MPEG2 full time since DTV already drops MPEG2 HD channels to make room for Sunday Ticket HD. The main reason I say almost certainly is that the BTN is twisting arms pretty hard to get the broadest distribution possible. The SD channel will probably cover that leaving MPEG2 customers with spotty HD coverage. MPEG4 is the only way to be certain that you'll get all the HD programming available from the BTN.

14. generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    EVERY new HD channel is MPEG4 PERIOD!! There is no room for anything on MPEG2. I think everybody here remember a couple HD channels being turned off last year for Sunday Ticket. That said the new sat is almost in final position and will begin testing soon. Right now we know September 15 is a hard date but things seems to be going well and talk is maybe if were lucky Labor Day weekend. I'd advise to get a HR20 now unless you plan on moving to cable and getting a S3 or something. Heck if you want just use your HR20 to view the channels the HR10 can't.

15. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

There aren't too many Big Ten football games on Sunday that I recall. :p So I don't think Sunday Ticket will be an issue here. :D My guess is that it will be mepg2 because of the timing. It's just like NFLST - they are broadcasting that in mepg2 again this year.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL New Member

May 10, 2005
    That is incorrect. You would get your HD Locals OTA on the HR20 regardless of what package you have. You also would get the Mpeg4 HD Locals as long as you have local channels on your package.

17. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio

Really? Well that is good to know, and might make me change my decision then.

18. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    No, that is not correct. DirecTV is charging an HD access fee even if you only want to watch locals. So, when you activate a new box like the HR20, you will be charged the fee.

19. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    When will most of you get this through your heads??!! The HD access fee is basically the same as the old HD Package fee.

You are NOT billed twice. So if you active a new HD box, you pay the $10 and get ALL the HD channels they offer including HD locals.

Basically the price went up $1 and you pay it whether you want ANY HD channels or not.

This was changed as folks were getting the HR10-250 for cheap and then not getting HD programming form D* and using them for OTA HD only.

So, D* says you want a HD box for OTA HD only? Ok, pay the $10 and we will give HD channels anyways whether you want/like any of them or not.

Do I blame them? No, I would have done the same thing if it was my company.

So you do NOT pay the $10.99 HD Access and the $9.99 HD channels fee. Just ONE price!

You frikin TiVo heads just don't get this, what's so hard????????? [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006