Big Sky - Season 1 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beryl, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

Advertisements

Welp, that was interesting. Glad they didn’t spend an inordinate amount of time introducing the characters.

The sisters were annoying so I expected them to get captured. Too bad about the truck stop girl just “tryin’ to make a livin’” though.

The bad ranger wasn’t a complete surprise. That actor has been type-casted over the last several years. I suspect him after he made the “sanctuary city” comment to the guy from San Francisco driving the Tesla.

Sorry to see Ryan Philippe bite it so quickly.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    In this age of television one can't even be sure if he actually died after getting shot in the head!

Overall I thought it was OK for an ABC show (ABC tends to target female audience for most of their shows), with a nice twist at the end.

Steveknj likes this.
  3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've watched half, and I'm trying to convince myself to watch the other half, out of respect for David Kelley's past work.

But it's hard to believe a David Kelley show could be this dreadful...

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I watched maybe 15 minutes. I spent another 15 minutes trying to figure out why this was greenlit. The writing was... less than good.

I'll keep watching later today, and see if I can make another 15 mins.

5. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015

Advertisements

Didn't finish the episode myself. Not yet.

Neither the story nor the characters engaged me at all.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And I adore Kathyrin Winnick! But not even she can draw me into this.

super dave likes this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was OK. It was kind of predictable and had a sort of Twin Peaks vibe. I though the acting was pretty bad.

8. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I’m going to watch tonight.
    I can’t explain, but I’m hankering for a slice of cherry pie and a cup of coffee, black ;)

LlamaLarry and Steveknj like this.
  9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    It was ok. Don’t understand why they felt compelled to mention the pandemic if they were going to act like it didn’t exist.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Apparently, it's set in the post-pandemic world. Which I guess is a potentially interesting concept, if you're going to do something with it. Which they haven't.

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Makes sense now that you mention that. When the sheriff said “this place shut down due to the pandemic” I took it as present tense, but it can be taken as a past tense statement.

Then again, in the opening scene in the restaurant, a customer says “in pandemic times, people want to believe”

12. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Meh!
    It pains me to say that because I love Kathyrin Winnick and even more so the excellent C.J. Box books this show is based upon. However, unlike the Bosch series, here Box has obviously ceded complete control to Kelley whose work I tired of decades ago. Lots of changes, too many to the worse. I'm not a purist as I love the changes to the Bosch TV series which unlike here are reasonably congruent to the author's style.
    Will try a 2nd episode out of desperation but sadly this looks like yet another reason I hardly ever watch TV any more. Foolishly, I had such hope.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  13. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    From the trailer I had watched, I thought I'd like this show so set up a season pass for it. But I was mostly disappointed. I'll give it another episode or two, though. It just seems like standard network dreck. I laughed at how in almost every scene, they had to have some song or instrumental track playing in the background at some point. I wish they'd spend more of their budget on better writing, not on licensing music. I noticed the sheriff was bit "off" the instant he showed up and started talking, so I fully expected him to be revealed as a bad guy at some point. I think they should have led us viewers on longer, though. While what happened with Ryan P. was a surprise, it was also a "ok, whatever".

14. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I probably would have given up on it if what happened at the end didn't happen. I wasn't even paying attention at that point and had to rewind and watch it over. So now I'm in at least for ep2.

Steveknj likes this.
  15. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    That scene was there right at the end for the specific purpose of selling the Pilot to the network & viewers. It worked.

LlamaLarry and jasrub like this.
  16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Ironically, Lost was originally going to start that way (Jack gets killed at the end of the pilot), and the network and showrunners talked the writers into letting him live because they feared it would alienate the audience. Michael Keaton was onboard to play Jack, but of course when they spared his life they had to find a smaller name to play him.