Big Love reversed--could you imagine?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Dawny, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1 of 27
    Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    So, I was thinking about Big Love today. Could you imagine the show if the situation were reversed gender-wise? One wife, three husbands? :) What male actors would be good candidates to play the 1st, 2nd & 3rd? Would it still be a drama? Can you imagine what the compound would look like?

I think I am so intrigued by this show because I lived very close to a "compound" (Colorado City, AZ and Hilsdale AZ right on the state line--Jeff's compound) when I lived in Utah for four years. :eek: I know that there were "mainstream" families secretly living the principle (as in the show) as well.

I am also intrigued by the show because it it such a good one! Well written and acted,etc. But wouldn't it be funny to imagine it switched up? I mean, at the very least it could be a good SNL skit, maybe? I'm just saying.... :p

PS--guys-- are there any of you out there that would really want more than one wife? :D

2. Sep 8, 2007 #2 of 27
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I don't know that I would even want ONE wife, much less multiple wives. :eek:

It's very hard for me to imagine the other way around. It's biology... the woman has limited eggs, the guys practically have unlimited sperm. Also, guys would probably kill each other faster than the women would. ;)

I could see maybe a multiple marriage... like several guys to several women.

3. Sep 8, 2007 #3 of 27
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There have been a few cultures that practiced polyandry (i.e., multiple husbands), but you have to go somewhere like Tibet to find it.

4. Sep 8, 2007 #4 of 27
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    +1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Sep 8, 2007 #5 of 27
    Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Take the religious rituals and marriage contracts out, and theyre better off all dating at the same time.

6. Sep 8, 2007 #6 of 27
    JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Multiple husbands, multiple wives. Line marriage or clan marriage, Heinlein style. That would be cool.

7. Sep 8, 2007 #7 of 27
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    With selective abortions in China the ratio of male babies to female babies is as high as 1.8 to 1 in some provinces. It's similar in India and the gap is growing, given the preference for male children. In 20 years or so, there are going to be tens of millions of extra men without equivalent women. Polyandry is about the only solution available.

8. Sep 8, 2007 #8 of 27
    Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Assuming that all the males in the family had sex with the female within the same fertilization cycle, it'd be very interesting not to know specifically who fathered the child.

Genetically speaking, from an evolutionary viewpoint, having multiple sperm competing for the egg could improve the genetic line over many generations of polyandry.

9. Sep 8, 2007 #9 of 27
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Umm, no it's not. ;)

10. drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    Wouldn't this just select for faster swimming sperm, and not necessarily any other traits that would be visible after birth?

11. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    LMFAO. Oh yeah, that!

12. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I was thinking that could be the case, but that early in the morning, I wasn't sure if I was thinking well enough, so I posted anyway. :)

13. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
  14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
  15. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I read about the group years ago in a book about random facts and trivia. The book went into detail about "initiations" for both the young men and women in the group. Ummm, interesting ideas for sure. I have no beef with people who choose to live lifestyles that they feel is right for them, but 40 year old men and women sleeping with 14 year old boys and girls. Yech. But, a different time, I suppose.

16. ironchef

ironchef Smiley Averse

Dec 27, 2002
    I watch and like Big Love, but this aspect of "the principle" has always bothered me. The lead character is one of the boys who were run off the compound because of the unworkable demographics of the lifestyle. Would the patriarchs who espouse this lifestyle be so eager if it were the other way around? Or even equal (polyandry)?

THe other question that always strikes me about the real life religious types is why do they always end up chasing 12 year old girls in the end?

17. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West

To be entirely fair here, some religious types chase 12 year old boys in the end. And I don't know. I have always been mystified by that type of behavior, religiously sanctioned or not. But I like your discussion of the show. The biological discussion that precedes in the thread is all interesting and true but I was honestly not trying to be quite so literal..I was thinking of the proposition in terms of "tv land" hypothesis. To the viewing audience, polyandry is no stranger than polygamy, is it? You think people would still watch?

I agree that there is no biologically based reasoning behind it and fully acknowledge and appreciate the role of both sperm and egg in procreation! :p :)

18. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    The "other way around" (one wife, multiple husbands) is polyandry.

Polygamy: multiple spouses (either way)
    Polyandry: One wife, multiple husbands
    Polygyny: One husband, multiple wives

19. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Ah, now there are some storylines! I never thought of that, not knowing who the father was--who would bear primary responsibility for each baby, then?

20. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West

Quite so, polygamy is more of a blanket term, isn't it. I had forgotten that.