Big Love-8/19/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by spikedavis, Aug 20, 2007.

1. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Holy Mackerel!! I can not believe how good this show has got. UNBELIEVABLY GOOD!

It was so incredibly inappropriate for Margene and Nikki to show up at the wedding. and Bill for that matter!

2. Tulsawatcher

Tulsawatcher Member

May 26, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Totally agree!! With only one episode left in this season, they are going to have a lot to get to - when is the next season set to start?? I can't believe how good this series has gotten. The mormons are the new mobsters.

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I like the way they make the family always on the precipice of disaster. I also enjoy how much politicking the wives do.

Ellen Burstyn is great as always. Philip Baker Hall, too.

4. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Frankly I just don't get the whole Barb thing......If she really believes in "the principle" and believes what she is doing is right, then why is she so afraid of her son living it? And how does Bill justify Barb's actions?

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I don't think she totally believes, she just loves Bill so she puts on a pretty good act.

No one who believed in the Principle would want their children going to traditional LDS/Mormon church services, as LDS/Mormons are the most anti polygamist group around.

phox

6. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    ok....but Bill obviously knows her feelings then. How does he justify and accept them?

7. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    I don't think B arb believes in The Principle at all, but Bill thinks she does.

If memory serves, Bill married Nikki as quid pro quo for Roman helping him when Barb was going through cancer treatment. I think Bill has convinced himself that he has this Calling, but I dont' think it was his idea originally.

8. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I'm in the process of catching up on season 1 so I'm a little fuzzy on the backstory. When exactly did Bill Marry Nicki? Was it after Barb was well again or was Barb agreeing to Nicki joining the family because she didn't think she was going to make it and wanted a mother for her children?

I think Sarah is totally selling herself short and if Scott isn't willing to wait for her she should ditch him. I loved it when Sarah told Bill that she wouldn't ever consider his advice!

9. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....

To big of an age difference from jump street.
    I would freak if my 17 year old was dating a 28 year old man.

10. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    When I watch this show-I feel so sorry for Barb. All she ever wanted in her life was Bill- and now she has him 1/3 of the time and it cost her her family in the process.

11. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I thought it was funny when Sarah asked Nikki how she deals with the jealousy and Nikki said something like, "I sublimate it because I'm working for a higher purpose." I never thought she would even admit to jealousy.

12. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I wonder if Albee had been in cahoots with Selmer from the get go?

13. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    I just started watching this show recently, with the Season 1 DVDs. I haven't watched any of season 2 yet, but I figured this was a good place to ask.

I understand that the polygamy as portrayed in this show would be taboo, and could be a PR nightmare for Bill and his store if it were to get out, but how would it violate the law at all? He's only legally married to Barb. What he does with the other women, as long as he tries to claim none of the legal benefits of marriage to them, would seem to be irrelevant.

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The states each have a mish-mash of laws relating to marriage, common-law marriage, cohabitation, adultery, bigamy, and even unmarried sex. Many of these simply aren't enforced anymore, and probably wouldn't last long under Supreme Court scrutiny if they were. Bigamy and adultery are only crimes for married people, so avoid getting married even to the "first wife" and that'll never apply.

Generally speaking, if you avoid getting a marriage license, don't represent yourselves in a way that you might be considered a common-law marriage, don't represent yourself on official documents as married and avoid labeling your relationship with the term "marriage," it's pretty unlikely there's anything anyone can do to stop it even if they were so inclined to try.

Generally it seems it's the age of consent laws that get people all riled up against polygamy these days... the guys who take child "wives" and everything related to that concept of "brainwashing" the children to accept such things for themselves. There's also the overabundance of males in such communities that's often dealt with by tossing the male children out on the streets -- too few "wives" to go around, and various child endangerment laws that would be enforced to prosecute such practices.

15. JETarpon

Jan 1, 2003
    One thing I have learned: Speculating on the benefits of plural marriage while watching this show with your wife is generally not a good idea.

16. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    come on Jet, you know she wants 2-3 more husbands to stay home with the kids :) :)

17. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I cant imagine how Bill pays for 3 houses, wives, 8 or so kids, 4 cars (and Benny and Sarah will be needing cars soon), college, etc.

18. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    He owns a small home depoty franchise. He probably doesn't hire people full time or pay benefits, and like any good ceo, gives himself an exorbitant salary regardless of how well the company is doing.

19. JETarpon

Jan 1, 2003
    I'm sure she thinks 1 husband staying home with the kids is more than enough. ;)

20. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I thought it was interesting that at first we thought Albee was trying to kill Roman by OD but now it looks as if he's just trying to keep him out of it but alive.