Big Love 02-01-2009

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aindik, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1 of 19
    aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

No thread? I guess everyone was watching the Super Bowl.

I thought this was a terrific episode. Set up a lot of stuff for the rest of the season.

I like that both Bill and even Nicki are starting to realize how wrong it is that Roman marries out young girls. She seemed willing, eager even, to hear the prosecutor's practice opening statement.

I was very surprised at the way Barb came out on the Ana thing. Completely the opposite of what I expected from the previous episode.

We already knew that Rhonda was nuts, but wow. Is she nuts, or what?

Minor spoiler from the previews:
    Margene goes Blonde? I didn't like it at all.

2. Feb 3, 2009 #2 of 19
    BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    This is turning into a great season for Big Love - lots of nasty insanity. So, what do you think - is that plastic bag coming off at the last moment or have we seen the last of old Frank?

I'm really looking forward to the moment when Bill & Barb find out what Nikki's been up to at the DA's office.

3. Feb 3, 2009 #3 of 19
    walkerism

walkerism The Clean Up Man

Aug 16, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I think Frank will survive. She was looking pretty guilty last episode.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #4 of 19
    barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    "I was very surprised at the way Barb came out on the Ana thing. Completely the opposite of what I expected from the previous episode." From Andik.

My response:

I think Barb thought she was dying of cancer and wanted Ana for a replacement wife. Once she got the news she was OK...the look on her face seemed to say, "Let's go home. We don't need her now."

Barbeedoll

5. Feb 3, 2009 #5 of 19
    JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003

Advertisements

I think that's what the look on her face said last week. This week, was completely the opposite, as aindik said.

6. Feb 3, 2009 #6 of 19
    HDTivoDesire

HDTivoDesire Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Anyone know who Maggie is? I assume she was a younger sister of Bill & Joey Hendrickson that committed suicide? Has Maggie been mentioned before?

WTF is wrong with Frankie? He seriously thought he was going to bang his niece on her prom night?

7. Feb 3, 2009 #7 of 19
    tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    I liked it, too. This season has been great so far.

It seemed like Barb thought Ana was a no good ho until Ana kissed her and said "I'm sorry if I hurt you most of all" or whatever that was she said, and that totally turned Barb around. Also, I don't think it was a coincidence that she told Bill she was pro-Ana right after the blow-up with her mom and sister and Barb said her sister-wives are more like sisters than her real sister, etc.

I don't remember Maggie being mentioned before, but she probably was and I just forgot. I assumed, too, that she was their sister - not sure about younger vs. older.

I'm not sure that I really get Frankie yet - as in what his character is supposed to add beyond the bit in the last ep where the same thing happened to him that happened to Bill (getting kicked out by Bill's dad).

8. Feb 3, 2009 #8 of 19
    aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    This builds upon the "you got a crush on Granny's boyfriend" line from last episode. More weirdness. I think that's one vibe he's supposed to create - odd incest-ey crush for Sarah (though that's over now that he's proven himself to be a drunken idiot), and also the repressed compound kid who acts out.

I think Heather is a lesbian and is in love with Sarah. (Did we already know this from last season? I don't remember). When Sarah asked her "do you want to go to the prom with me," she had the look of love in her eyes and was taken aback until Sarah said something else.

9. Feb 3, 2009 #9 of 19
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    We don't know that for sure. Rhonda accused Heather of it last season, and threatened to backmail her with the information. Heather denied it, but she also didn't say "go ahead and spread it around, I don't care, it's ridiculous" and instead acted a little weird about it. So they have definitely planted the seed, but we don't really know if it's true. Especially since Rhonda is constantly making stuff up when it suits her.

Do you think they are setting the stage for Bill to decide that the family should actually testify against Roman? That kind of seemed like the next step from his crisis of conscience that he had at the end, but on the other hand it would mean all-out war with everyone on the compound, which would be really bad for the family, and Nicki would FREAK. Or are they setting the stage for something less than that, like they will keep Kathy there and support her while she testifies?

The DA's office would have made a zillion copies of that book with the girls' names and pictures of it. There is no way Nicki could just tear out that one page and be done with it. In fact someone there would have recognized her already, now that I think about it.

Any guesses on what will happen with Sarah's pregnancy?

10. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Well, I think it's true.

I think they are setting up the war, and Bill and family become the anti-statutory-rape heroes who do polygamy the right way (with consenting adults).

I even think Nicki is coming around on this, especially now with the story of her first marriage fresh in her mind.

She's a lot older now.

She gives the baby to Bill and Barb.

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I think Heather fears it might be true, anyway.

She looked just the same in the picture. But it's a dramatic license they had to take, I guess.

That would make the most sense, yes, if she has the baby. The family has a ton of little kids and are trying to raise a big brood. But I also think it's possible they will write it so she miscarries (after everyone finds out she is pregnant).

12. RockJock

RockJock Rock Climbing Fool

Apr 6, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Was I the only one to notice that it just happened to be the same song Heather, as Deb, danced to with Napoleon Dynamite? I know "Forever Young" was apt for the Prom subplot but I think it had to also be a nod to the movie. To bad Heather didn't come down the stairs with a side ponytail. :)

13. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    That's funny. I kept thinking about that song and how it should mean something and that's it! (I had just rewatched Nap Dyno about a week ago.). That had to be intentional.

Maybe Napoleon will show up as a cousin. Bill's cell phone rings during one of his Indian gaming meetings: "Uh, Bill, can you bring me my chapstick?"

14. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    To the maggie thing...

They had mentioned her a few times last season just to let you know that they had a sister. Not sure if she was younger or older, but i would guess younger.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

I got this odd feeling about Sarah and Ben. It seemed more than just a brotherly/sisterly scene at the end. It also reminded me a bit like the scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh told Judge Rheinhold about her being preggers in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and how he ended up helping her out. So I'm conflicted in how the Big Love scene was played out.

Anyone else get the feeling that by the end of this season, there will be a split between Bill and Nikki. She's always done things behind Bill's back, but it seems more like she's a spy for Roman than Bill's hubby. Perhaps Chloe Sevigny is wanting to leave and the Ana part will be written in as the third wife.

16. analog4

analog4 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    I'm enjoying this season - it seemed to move a bit slower in past seasons but this season the pace is going a bit faster.

And I enjoyed the ending scene at the lake.

17. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Dec 1, 2004

18. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    maggie has to be younger since the brother was out playing football when she killed herself...

did they call those books the "joy book"? or did I mis-hear?

19. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    I think what you saw with Sarah and Ben was not some burgeoning sexual attraction to each other, but a complete comfort with each other that transcends sexuality. (Members of tight-knit families, like Sarah and Ben, are able to be close to each other in a way that might strike others as "more than just brotherly/sisterly" because their tight-knitness trumps any phobias of appearing to be "too close.")