Big Button Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Simply123, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a big button remote that actually works with TiVo? I recently installed an older version TiVo (TiVo HD) on my 96-year-old mother's TV (had to be an older version because she doesn't have the internet) and now I can't find a big button remote that works. We've exhausted the possibility of using TekPartner, which is the one she has used for years, and I've checked out several others that don't work. TiVo Technical Support told me there are definitely some out there, but he couldn't tell me which ones. He suggested I try posting the question on the TiVo community site, so here I am.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  3. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thank you, I'll call them and check it out. Unfortunately, it looks like this one is made by the same company that makes the model my Mom has and, although Mom's also lists some Tivo codes, when I called their tech support they admitted that it doesn't work with most Tivo and it was much too complicated to program it for Tivo.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you only have one TiVo in the room, so that a remote running the default TiVo remote address of 0, instead of one of the other 9 choices, then a remote programmed for a Philips VCR should operate it as long as it's a TiVo brand TiVo or a Philips Series 1 TiVo.

That address of 0 is not the same thing as the 3 or 4 digit code you put in to program the remote for a specific brand and device.

5. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015

Advertisements

Great! I do only have one Tivo in the room, so that's good. But can you give me any more information about how I set the remote address to 0? Or what to look for, maybe? If it's not the same as the 3 or 4 digit code to program for a specific brand/device, then I'm lost.

6. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Make sure the tivo is on 0 on system info screen, TIVO - MESSAGES & SETTINGS - ACCOUNT & SYSTEM INFO - SYSTEM INFO - DOWN ARROW near bottom of second page. the first code listed in remote guide will be 0

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Generally one sets both the TiVo remote and the TiVo itself for a remote address of between 0 and 9 simultaneously.

Both come from the factory set to 0.

"Universal" remotes generally are address 0 when you set them up to use that Philips command set, and have no provision to be set to any of the addresses 1 through 9.

So if you set a universal to use that Philips command set it should control your mom's TiVo just fine.

If your universal doesn't specifically list a 3 or 4 digit code for TiVo under DVRs, then check the VCR list and see if TiVo is one of the brands listed there.

If it is, and there's more than one code listed, look at the listing for Philips VCRs and for Sony VCRs. If you find a number under Sony that matches one of the TiVo numbers, that's the number you *do not* want to use, since your mom doesn't have a Sony brand TiVo.

If you find a number under Philips VCRs that matches one of the TiVo numbers, that *is* the number you want to use.

As long as there's only one TiVo in the room (and no Philips, or possibly Magnavox, VCR) the remote address thing isn't going to be a problem.

One thing about using a universal, the button that does what you want done might not always have the same name as the one on the TiVo brand remote--stuff like channel change or fast forward or pause will probably be straightforward, but it may take some experimentation to find which button toggles between the HD's two tuners, or which one brings up the guide grid, or which is Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down.

Here's the deal on the address thing.

I'd never run into the concept before I started messing with TiVos.

A TiVo brand remote set to address 0 will control any TiVo brand TiVo or Philips brand Series 1 TiVo that sees its IR beam.

A TiVo brand TiVo or Philips brand Series 1 TiVo set to address 0 will be controlled by any remote outputting that Philips command set if it is also sending the "I'm remote address 0" info.

Obviously unworkable if you have more than one TiVo in the room.

A remote set to an address of 1 through 9 will only work a TiVo set to the same address (or set to 0), so if you have two TiVos in the same room you can set one of them and its remote to address 1 and the other and its remote to address 2, and things will be fine.

(If you have one of the TiVo brand remotes with a slide switch you can set it for one address with the switch in the first position and then slide the switch to the second position and set it to a second address, and which address it puts out will depend on to where the switch is slid, which will let you use just one remote for two TiVos)

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Remember, when you talk to the people at the company whose brand name is on the remote, you're probably only talking to the company who has it made for them or has their name slapped on it before importing it, and not the people who actually design and manufacture the thing, so they probably don't know all the tricks it can do.

And the people at TiVo, being a step beyond that even more removed, have even less of a clue.

In fact, tell me the name and model number of the remote your mom has been using, and if I can find a manual and code list for it online, I can probably tell you how to get it to control the TiVo.

9. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    That would be fantastic! I'll cross my fingers. The remote is a Tek Partner BW-0561-RD. The manual lists several 3 digit codes that are supposed to connect it to Tivo (008,009,010,011,014,015), but none of them worked. I also did the roaming thing to try and connect and that didn't work either. (I was actually able to get a the remote to turn it on and off, but could never get the channel changer to function.) That's when I called their help line and gave her the model number of the remote as well as the Tivo model so she could research. She called me back the next day and said it wouldn't work.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Program the VCR button.

Try 075, 040, 039, and 037

11. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thank you! I'll try it tonight and let you know if it works.

12. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
  13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's the same remote I posted a link to last week.

14. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I didn't look at your actual link--I just saw the names weren't the same so I thought it was different. But looking at yours now, they do look the same. Oh well. :)

15. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Well, rats. I tried 075, 040, 039, and 037 and I see where they were the codes listed under Phillips in the users manual, but none of them worked. I guess it's time to move on and order the one you guys found: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001881HIM/. I'll let you know if it works. Thank you very much!

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that TiVo work with a TiVo remote?
    I'm really, really surprised that none of the Philips codes worked, since I didn't have a remote for my first TiVo and found a Philips universal that listed TiVo among the things it controls and that's when I discovered that the code for the TiVo was the same as the code for a Philips VCR.

17. Simply123

Simply123 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Yes, the Tivo remote works fine. And the big button remote worked with her TV before I hooked up the Tivo. 'Tis a mystery. I'm holding out hope for the remote I just ordered . . .