Big Brother Observation (Non-Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Werd2406, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1 of 31
    Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Advertisements

Haha this was just an observation because I was going through old Big Brother videos on YouTube, and has anyone seen how much the game has changed?!? Like comparing BB1 to BB8 isn't even possible! I think the show has developed for the better as it went along (that annoying narrator in BB1 really gets old) but I was just suprised how the game has changed/how it appears on tv......any one else notice this or miss the old format??

2. Aug 5, 2007 #2 of 31
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I miss Season 1 when they cast average people.

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 31
    Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    That's why the first season was the most boring season ;)

4. Aug 5, 2007 #4 of 31
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Season 1 for all intents and purposes was a different show.

They were following the international format for the show and pretty much scrapped it. If my foggy recollection is correct, Arnold Shapiro came in after Season 1, and they retooled the show. They got rid of the fan voting spiced up casting a bit and have added a lot of different elements to the show.

I think the past few years Allison Grodner has essentially been heading the show under Arnold Shapiro, but this is the first year where she is the one in charge fully. I think the casting has gotten more out-there this year.

I think the first season was fairly boring, for a couple of reasons. Yeah someone said they liked it when they cast real people, but those people for the most part were boring to watch. It was something different and interesting at the time, but there is no way if those original housemates were in the house now that anyone would be watching them. I also think the fan involvement watered things down. People voted out the controversial people or the people they didn't like first. It tends to water down the cast. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen when people vote each other out, but it happens in a different way, and more controversial characters tend to stick around longer for other reasons.

I would like to see them mix things up. I would love for them to one season make it so housemates can't talk about nominations and votes. That is how the UK and AU shows are always. I would not want it like that every year, but it would be a good twist one year, if the housemates were not allowed to essentially talk game in the house and had to focus on other things. That is part of the problem since the first season too. All anyone does is talk about the game 24x7. Everyone in the house this year is a pretty big fan of the show. They know the history... it is too much game play and not enough living.

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 31
    veruca salt

veruca salt I want it NOW!!

Jun 30, 2007

Advertisements

I can't remember what happened yesterday, but I what I remember about Season 1 is them having to budget their money. Didn't they run out of toilet paper? I liked that aspect. I also liked that they didn't have luxuries like a washer and dryer.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #6 of 31
    The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    Yes they had a weekly budget. They ran out of TP because they decided to spend more on alcohol. They had to hand wash their clothes and hang them up to dry. Chicken George got his name because of the 3 chickens that lived at the house that provided eggs.

BB1 was also on TV almost every night. Banners played a big role in the first season. I remember contributing some money for a banner that simply said something like "We love you all". No attempt to influence the house, although since the viewers voted the houseguests out, the banners that did provide specific information only created tension amongst the houseguests. Now whenever a banner is headed towards the house, CBS rushes everybody into the house so they can't see it.

Also, who could forget the Trinitron Dance

7. Aug 5, 2007 #7 of 31
    Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Haha I remember when the live feeds were FREE!! ;)

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 31
    Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Oh, and my favorite moment of season 1...when the "Beauty Queen" chose 15mins with a talent agent than to see her mother.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 31
    drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    Oh, I remember the days that the set was right up against the studio perimeter, so I could shoot water balloon and tennis balls right into the yard. Now, they moved the whole thing further in the lot and across two rivers (read: cement washes) from the closest point to the place.

10. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Part of me misses BB1. Part of me doesn't. I wish there was a way to make a happy middle ground area. A mixture of a good cast, America voting, free online feeds and more comps. I've always thought the HGs have had it so much easier since season 1. I don't remember luxuries in the first season, there was never a HOH so there much less kissing up in the house.

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    It might have started happening prior to this season, but this season is the first time I've really become aware of certain production flourishes that I find I quite enjoy - like the sound of a dinging bell that gets played when a houseguest says something obvious (like "I know, pawns always wind up getting voted out..." [ding]), or the sound of organ music softly playing in a background when a player starts talking religion. Lots of little things like that are happening this season.

12. katbug

katbug Tivo Junkie

Oct 2, 2003
    N. AZ
    Yep, I have always missed the simpleness of S1, as well as the variety of types of people in the house. I think it's more boring having a bunch of 20-somethings, and nothing else. I loved the budgeting and I also loved that they had not yet learned to form alliances, so thought for themselves. I wish that they would find a way to bring back some things from the original season...the current seasons just seem like remakes of each other.

13. TivoDaddy

TivoDaddy Active Member

May 3, 2000
    Bay Area
    One thing that did change through the seasons was sequestering the eliminated HGs that joined the jury. I remember watching interviews with those HGs that ultimately awarded Dr. Wil the grand prize, saying that watching the DR confessions of the Evil Doctor :cool: and how he played them all, influenced their decisions.

I never saw S1, so I can't vouch for what they did that season, but from what I have read, it was a completely different show anyway.

14. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I think the sequestor was more a result of Danielle losing in Season 3. She was loved in the house. Everyone thought she was their friend, even after they were voted out. Meanwhile, Danielle was in the Diary Room, laughing and joking how she was playing everyone in the House. The evicted HGs saw this after they were evicted and before they voted and felt dupped. The chose to punish her by voting against her.

I am pretty sure the sequestor was started in Season 4 just because of what happened in Season 3.

15. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I would like to see them maybe add a dog again...I remember when Chicken George dropped the dog and PETA got after his ass lol.

16. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    One thing I would like to see back from S1 are the week long tasks. They used to have tasks to complete that would span days. Now all the contests are essentially condensed for television and it makes some of them much less compelling.

I realize they got stuff now where people have to wear a unitard for 5 days, but I am talking about group tasks where they all had to participate over a week's time.

Not to mention it would give them something to focus on besides blabbing about the game all the time.

17. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Somebody was asking about banners in one of these BB threads. I ran across this TMZ story about the guy that has flown them in past seasons, and who would have flown an especially explosive one this year if CBS hadn't sent him a cease and desist letter. LINK

18. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I remembered in S1 the cast got so boring that they were planning to bring a new hottie. However, it was voted down by either America or the HGs.

19. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it was the HG's....man I wish they would've cause that cast wasn't the cutest they've had ;)

20. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    They bribed the HGs to walk out the door for like 25K, then 50K, and no one took the offer. The replacement would have been the bombshell pot stirrer.