Big Brother - OAD 7/2/2017 (Sunday)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2017 #1 of 47
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

I honestly think Megan heard what she think she heard, and she was actually trying to defend Alex...

Boy, she has had a rough ride in the BB house... Cody, Josh, and now Alex and Jessica...all coming down on her pretty hard... While I don't respect people who quit the game, I definitely can see that she has had a lot of negativity in just the first week of the game...

Cody remains pretty predictable... It's high school all over again... Jocks and popular people against the ones who aren't... Sad, really... And he still maintains the personality of that wet sponge! Man, he is really not the right person to deliver the announcement from the Big Brother producers...yes, he is HoH, but man, where's the personality???

verdugan likes this.
  2. Jul 3, 2017 #2 of 47
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree.

Unless I missed it, why didn't Jessica tell Megan and Alex what she actually said?

3. Jul 3, 2017 #3 of 47
    lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Isn't consistently referring to (Asian-American houseguest) by (nickname of a previous Asian-American houseguest) kinda racist itself?

4. Jul 3, 2017 #4 of 47
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    "Although Jessica did not call her a "panda," she did refer to her as season 16 houseguest Paola Shea, who is also of Asian decent. Jessica referred to her as Paola's nickname "Pao Pao," and Shea has since taken to Twitter to call the comparison by Jessica, and fans of the show, racist."

'Big Brother 19': Second Houseguest's Exit Explained

5. Jul 3, 2017 #5 of 47
    nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004

Advertisements

Megan misheard what was said by the group (which was degrading\insulting in tone), that was compounded because she was on the block. If she was not on the block, most likely she would have said nothing, but felt pressure to make a game move hoping to shake things up.

6. Jul 3, 2017 #6 of 47
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I think it would depend on the spirit in which you're saying it. It is completely natural to compare people with other people in your memory bank. She reminds them of Pao Pao and I think it would be a stretch to call that racist. Had they actually called her a panda (a term I have never heard before as an insult) then yeah, that's crossing the line. If anything it is racist of Megan to think of that term to begin with IF she didn't actually mishear the conversation. As a skilled interrogator she probably should have probed a little deeper to make sure she heard what she thought she heard. I'm not sure how you can mistake "Pao Pao" for "panda" but I wasn't there.

mrsean likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2017 #7 of 47
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I feel bad for her. I definitely think that's what she heard even if that's not what was said. Lots of people ganging up on her this week.

I think the beds of spikes are hilarious this year :D I certainly don't want to have to sleep on it, but as a punishment room it's pretty funny. I am glad it looks like they had blankets and pillows to put on top though.

8. Jul 3, 2017 #8 of 47
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    megan should have toughed it out, it's the point of bb. while i respect her decision to leave, i always think about others who auditioned and would have loved an opportunity to compete.

if megan couldn't handle a little house disruption the first few days, no matter the reason, she had no business being cast to begin with.

mrsean likes this.
  9. Jul 3, 2017 #9 of 47
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I was hoping that the houseguests wouldn't make Cody's job so easy and make him pick the 5 Have Nots. The whole point of the HoH choosing is to cause conflict... Make him choose!

On the topic of Have Nots, it's an interesting twist to allow one houseguest to flip a coin to see if he/she can escape it. Paul certainly got lucky...

mrsean likes this.
  10. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    The whole den of temptation seems really dumb....why wouldn't you take the temptation? It's not like anything bad is going to happen to you. Even if the person punished finds out it was Paul's doing, it really wasn't because he didn't know who he was punishing.

He couldn't see who he was punishing, the audience couldn't see who he was punishing...it just seems like the producers can pick whomever they please to receive the punishment.

Steveknj and mrsean like this.
  11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it's designed to shake up what has become a somewhat predictable game after 18 seasons, and to create good television - i like it! if past seasons are any indication, it will be gone at the start of jury.

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I agree with both of you... I agree that it is designed to shake up a house that has been pretty predictable, and that this is good to add some spice to the recipe...

That said, I agree that the implementation is not great... If you are going to really shake things up, there should be real consequences to taking an advantage... Make Paul throw visibly throw someone in his alliance under the bus... Have him be safe for 3 weeks, but make him earn it by achieving certain goals that would make him a target after his safety is over... I don't know...I haven't thought about this deeply...but I agree that if you get an advantage that will unleash a consequence on the house in general, or on some random person that keeps you from getting your hands dirty, then there is really no question...take the advantage!

mrsean likes this.
  13. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    People don't always know what they can handle before they're in that situation.

14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    They WANT people to take the temptation. It's just a way to add twists into the game. Of all the years that Big Brother has been giving choices, has there ever been a time where a choice has been passed on? There's ALWAYS someone who pushes the button to "reset the game", opens Pandora's Box, or takes an advantage. Heck, even this season someone took the golden apple which everybody agreed was a bad mistake.

mrsean likes this.
  15. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    True...yes...they want them to take the temptation... But I also want to see them struggle more with their decision... I would love for Paul to struggle with taking the 3 weeks of protection because he needs to do something for america, or visibly out someone, or volunteer to go on the block in week #4, or the household will be told that he took the unnamed advantage as a reason for a consequence...

I don't know what the consequence should be...the possibilities are limitless. but let's make it more interesting than "a consequence will be unleashed on the house...or on some random person".

16. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought it was a little suspect that Paul - the person most likely to have a target on his back - is the person to be safe for 3 weeks. Shenanigans.

I was also kindof hoping Megan would quit because, I was hoping it would trigger another trade and bring someone ELSE back into the game. That would have been an awesome way for her to get back at them.

Steveknj likes this.
  17. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Wasn't it the viewers who gave Paul the temptation?

18. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Very very suspect. If it had been anyone else, there is a very good chance the reward would have been something completely different.

I am not recalling a vote, and\or the producers announcing in advance what the chosen HG would get. If the producers don't reveal the reward in advance to the audience, the producers are free to decide what the reward will be after the HG has been selected. In this case, the implication is that after Paul was selected, the producers created a reward that would keep him safe.

I don't beleive the show is rigged, but I do beleieve the show is slanted to give specific HGs better chances to win by designing competitions that match their skills, other than that, the show is about who has the best social\manipulation skills

Steveknj likes this.
  19. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I think once you take a temptation you are ineligible to take it again for the rest of the season. So it may be strategically wise to save it for the future. But there's no guarantee that the audience will give you the opportunity again. Or, did I misunderstand and you can only be offered it once?

20. whoknows55

whoknows55 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2001
    I thought it was once you were offered you wouldn't be offered one again.