Big Brother - OAD 08/05/20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TriBruin, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Aug 6, 2020 #1 of 40
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL

Advertisements

So Big Brother is back! It looks like this could be a good season. I liked that the move-in was live, funny that the Have-Nots could not access their room. Looks like a pretty basic room.

But, as was mentioned in the pre-season thread, I don't even see why we even have Have-Nots any more. Within a few weeks, it will just become a non-factor.

Seems to be a good cast. As far as I can tell, there are no major drama players. Not sure it is an "All-Star" cast as most of the players are 2nd tier. Winners that had some luck (Ian, Nicole), near winners, and a couple of players that barely made jury. I guess they felt bad for David's luck last season and brought him back again. That being said, I don't immediately hate any of the players, so that is good and even have a few favorites (both Nicoles and Ian.)

Since it appears that most of the cast is either married or in a committed relationship, the chances of a showmance is minimized. That is fine with me.

I don't know if the BB community is a close knit as the Survivor community, but it doesn't look like there any preformed alliances. Hopefully the alliances will form naturally instead.

The first round of the HOH competition was really unfair to the women. Both their rooms were at the end of the table with a lot of open space for the ball to fall off. They should have had a way to ensure that each round had two "winners".

Will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

tivotvaddict, SoBelle0 and stellie93 like this.
  2. Aug 6, 2020 #2 of 40
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    It's good they're going back to pre-taping because I thought the premier was a boring logistical mess. The table balancing thing was too heavy and had no suspense. It became a question of not who could narrowly beat out the others but of who could even finish it. And Julie trying to yell at everybody so they could hear her and obey... very uncomfortable. Then the have-not room lock-out. Cody would have won the HOH anyway but one of the reasons he had such a low time (again, taking away any suspense) was he could see one of the pedestals still wobbling from Memphis dislodging it, and it continued wobbling to some degree throughout the HOH. It seems the producers could have prepared everything better so that it all went smoother.

It was funny how Ian kept subliminally using the words Lucky and Luck so the others wouldn't see him as a threat. I'll go ahead and predict an Ian and Nicole A. showmance. They just kind of look like a couple, and most everyone else has kids and/or significant others.

3. Aug 6, 2020 #3 of 40
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think you both nailed my observations. Firstly, the suspense on who was going to be in the house was ruined, as I had seen the list in a Newsweek article earlier in the day and it was very close to a list I had seen last week that outside of having Kaycee and Josh (who I think were both removed due to COVID-19 speculation). So that was a bit of a downer.

I'm OK with the cast, but tired of a few of the players. I am done with Janelle keep getting on the show (and did she have another boob and lip job?) and I have had enough of Momma Dae. I liked Ian who was Dan's padawan during the "coach" season. But boy did he look awkward at the "meet and great", like he didn't know if he should hug any of the others or whatever. I half expect him to be the first one gone as the "outsider". That would be a shame as I'd root for him to win again. I agree, I think him and Nicole will wind up with a showmance.

The fun thing about this being live was the glitches. It was funny when they couldn't get into the have not room.

As far as the cast, my feeling her is that most, if not all of them are living in and around SoCal and were easy to bring in at the last minute, so that's why they were chosen. It's really not the most compelling group, and (and I still say an All-Stars without Dr. Will and Dan, is like having a Survivor All-Stars without Rob and Sandra). But it could still be fun. I think if I would pick a favorite it would be Cody. I think he's got a lot to prove, or at least he thinks so. I do think the HoH advantages were given to the guys, as they had much shorter path on the maze game, thus more chances. And I agree, Cody got an advantage because the spot was still wobbling. At least this isn't a Paul situation, where on his second season they basically gave him 5 free weeks in the house, the weeks that were most dangerous to him being voted out.

4. Aug 6, 2020 #4 of 40
    RickyL

RickyL valar morghulis

Sep 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I thought they were punishing the women by giving them the much longer paths for their ball.

5. Aug 6, 2020 #5 of 40
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017

Advertisements

FYI - Ian has a girlfriend.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2020 #6 of 40
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    And that's stopped houseguests before?

7. Aug 6, 2020 #7 of 40
    DVR_Dave

Apr 19, 2017
    No, but I don't think Ian is the "typical" houseguest.

And my replay was based on "... and most everyone else has kids and/or significant others."

jeetkunedo likes this.
  8. Aug 6, 2020 #8 of 40
    RickyL

RickyL valar morghulis

Sep 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I
    Yeah, I wouldn't see his motivation to cheat.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  9. Aug 6, 2020 #9 of 40
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sometimes it just happens. They aren't married, and we don't know what their relationship is. I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't expect it either.

10. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The new "front of the house" set where Julie is at is amazing.

They did a good job setting up the situation by starting everybody out with masks and and telling us what they've done to keep everyone safe.

My overall cast impressions are pretty good. I didn't really need to see Janelle again. Kevin, Enzo, and Keesha seem like odd choices but fine. And Christmas and David are not really "All-stars" but I can see why CBS wanted to give them both second chances.

My wife and I were discussing how with casts there is usually the "token old guy", who looks out of place with the rest of the cast, even if they're really not that old there is a vast difference by comparison. Here, they've got so many returning players that are much older than casts typically are but it doesn't feel like anyone fits that, which is nice.

I agree with others that the girls had a harder puzzle. In fact, for a live competition they probably made that maze a little too hard. It would have been just fine for a normal edited episode, because the difficulty gives it suspense if someone drops.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  11. lambertman

lambertman I am not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I didn’t watch seasons 10-16, and I don’t have any problems with the returnees that I know, but it is weird having Janelle in for a fourth time. Glad that Pot Banging Josh didn’t qualify.

Not sure who was more uncomfortably awkward to watch, Ian or Julie.

Steveknj likes this.
  12. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    i forgot it was on.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I guess it depends on how one defines a "star". Christmas certainly is more memorable a houseguest than some of the 2nd place runner-ups (and in some regards, the winners). She has a celebrity "star" quality and presence that surpasses her actual performance in the game...

I'd certainly recognize her passing her in the street moreso than most houseguests who have performed better...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    tivotvaddict likes this.
  14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I didn't love that they let Cody do the course with the one star stepping "mushroom" still visibly wobbling around... It also seemed to be wobbling when the third person took the course...

Julie finally realized this was a problem and made the comment that they had to wait for the wobbling to stop before bringing the next houseguest out...

Did Nicole even know the point of this course? I was shocked that she tried to step on that same wobbling step twice in a row o_O

mattack, stellie93 and Donbadabon like this.
  15. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    o_O:);)

This course confused me, and maybe I missed something. Couldn't they all see the course from where they were sitting? If so why did so many of them keep trying to step on that third mushroom?

16. DVR_Dave

Apr 19, 2017
    The HOH competitors were behind a wall until it was their turn.

jeetkunedo and Donbadabon like this.
  17. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    The competing players were behind a wall which blocked their view of the course. I think the players all chose the 3rd wiggly mushroom because it was bigger than the other nearby mushrooms.

jeetkunedo and Donbadabon like this.
  18. RickyL

RickyL valar morghulis

Sep 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I think you were almost home free if you stuck to small ones.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yeah I thought it was kind of cool that it was still wobbling when the person went again, so a bit less remembering (but the one woman went on that one AGAIN).. but when I saw it still wobbling for a next contestant, that was bad.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    had to go check imdb. Chicken George is still alive.