Big Brother Finale - Wednesday 9/25/19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TriBruin, Sep 26, 2019.

1. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Well, that was an awkward ending to the season. I don't think I have ever seen a winner of a reality show look so depressed after winning. I was a little surprised that he was called out like that, but it is was nice to see. However, it was obvious that the producers had prepared Jack and Nick that something was coming (their answers were a little too planned), but Michie was completely blindsided by the aquisations of bullying and racism.

His answers to the jury really prove the point that he felt he was entitled to the win and no one else had the "right" to deny his the win. Any lying he did was only a direct result of their actions, at least in his mind. Notice he did not have an answer about Cliff's good-bye message. He says everything was about game. His good-bye message to Cliff was not game, it was personal. (I could have done with out the Nick/Bella discussion, that had nothing to do with the game. That is something that they needed to work out outside of the house.)

I thought Holly did an OK job trying to explain her game, but ultimately she looks like she rode Michie coat tails and the jury saw that. I was a little surprised by Tommy & Cliffs vote (both for Michie). I thought they may held Michie's actions against him, but I guess they saw it as the game. (As Tommy said, does he take it personally or does he reward game play?)

I thought the jury discussion was generally good. A lot of good discussions. Except for Jess and Sis. Did Jess say anything during the discussions? And Sis? She acted like a spoiled brat. "Well I don't think any of them play a good game" (i.e. if I can't win it, why should anyone else.)

Finally, so glad to see Nicole win AFHG. She is truly one of the sweetest people that has ever played Big Brother. She seemed genuinely shock at winning the $25K.

verdugan and LlamaLarry like this.
  2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It was a crappy end to an overall crappy season. Michie deserved to win, but from an audience perspective, it's one of the least satisfying wins in BB history. At the end of the day, he's just not a nice guy, and you hate to see someone like that rewarded with $500k. Michie may have felt that everything he did was justified, but you could tell he was hit with a big dose of reality when confronted by Kemi, Ovi and David. He thought he was going to come out of the house a celebrated hero, and he suddenly realized that America may not be on his side after all.

I give Holly a lot of credit. She is clearly much more intelligent than she let on, and I thought her answers to the jury were about as good as she could have given under the circumstances. At the end of the day, however, there was no escaping the fact that she was going to be perceived as a coattail rider. I was hoping she would somehow pull off the final HoH win and take Nicole, but Michie was practically unbeatable in the comps, and remained so all the way to the very end. I'm not sure we've ever seen a player before that was so dominant like that.

On that note, I have to give the jury credit for being able to check their emotions and vote for Michie, despite any misgivings. They could have been bitter and given the money to Holly, but they voted for the person that clearly outplayed them. Even Cliff and Tommy voted for Michie after being burned so badly.

I have a feeling this season will cause the producers to seriously rethink some things about casting and about the show in general. Michie winning left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I suspect many other viewers feel the same.

GoPackGo likes this.
  3. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    UGH, I'm just glad it's over.

Let's have a season with middle-aged divorced couples and throw in a few 20-somethings.

hfcsyrup and Steveknj like this.
  4. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Sis was nothing but window dressing all season and listening to her try to justify others' game during the Dr Will segment was actually painful. The only thing more painful was listening to Holly ramble on to try and explain how she didn't ride Michie all the way to the end.

Michie is a jackhole and while I find most 24 year olds insufferable he is definitely in a league of his own. That being said, I am not a fan of cluing him in to how he is perceived at the finale and then having the balls to ask why he seems so glum. He already knew "America" didn't like him when they went on the field trip comp, but to find out that they think you're a racist, misogynist, POS and being called out on Live TV seems a little harsh for CBS. It is all but certain that Jack was prepped for his uncomfortable exit interview and it just feels surprising that CBS would pull the rug under the person most likely to win $500K on Live TV.

stellie93 likes this.
  5. Dnamertz

Dnamertz Active Member

Jan 30, 2005
    When placing her vote, I wonder what Nicole meant when she said she learned things about Michie and Holly living with them that final week and that is what shaped her vote. She voted for Holly...I wonder what she is referring to.

I can't believe Nick says he judges the winner of BB based on comps. And he didn't just say "comps", he said "physical comps". This is not American Gladiator.

I was happy to see the joy of Michie's win taken away, and I don't have a problem with CBS pointing out bigotry when it exists, but asking Michie if he picked those 4 people because they are minorities and an old man was ridiculous. He had a genuine look of surprise about that, and thought it was CBS overacting to anything that gets complained about online.

6. Dnamertz

Dnamertz Active Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, there was also Kat trying to argue that Michie was loyal because of that one week when he was loyal to her.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I can't remember. Was that the week he was or wasn't having sex with her?

8. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Even David said that he didn't think it was racially motivated.

stellie93 and LlamaLarry like this.
  9. TriBruin

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I got the impression that he didn't think it was racial motivated while he was in the house, but after watching the season, he was not so sure any more.

10. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I think what David said was that he came to the conclusion that the Camp Director incident was not racially motivated, but that there was some merit to Kemi and Ovi's other accusations.

lynncosbm, jeetkunedo and verdugan like this.
  11. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    If Michie was going to win, I think CBS tried to present this in a way that made viewers glad that at least he didn't get a fairytale ending with confetti. It was somewhat satisfying to see him upset about the controversy and unable to enjoy his win. I've never seen a winner so sad. Not doubt he'll be complaining that they tainted his win, which he'll call the greatest of all time.

I'm really glad that Nichole got the America's Favorite Player money.

I was also quite impressed by Holly's responses in the final two. I thought she did an admirable job distancing her game moves from Jackson's, that they played different games and that she was behind him holding him back so he could continue to take her further.

12. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I only watched the network show, so I'm not sure what these terrible things were that they did. The idea that it was racist when he picked the four early on was crazy to me. They didn't really know each other and those 3 could be picked out because they put themselves out there. And old people are always "discriminated against" on BB. ;) That only left the girl who was quiet and not socializing very much.

If bad stuff happened at other times, and lots of us never saw them, then it seems a little unfair to make a big deal of it since we can't see it and judge for ourselves.

13. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Honestly, watching the feeds, there wasn’t a lot of bad stuff or at least no more so than every other year. The worst thing was the “bullying” of Nicole by not letting her into a room. Sure, they talked trash on each other as every player ever has done. I would be hard pressed to find an example of anything racist that happened.

edit: Michie’s treatment of some of the women was bad, but that was mostly shown on the show.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
  15. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Wow... What a somber finale... The big "feel good" winner in this was clearly Nicole...

I feel for Michie...I wish he could win and feel good about celebrating his win... But I am also very happy that Big Brother decided to "out" all of the controversy...

16. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Are you saying that "asking him" was ridiculous, or the fact that he might have chosen them because they were minorities is ridiculous?

This is a complex topic with a lot of moving parts. Minorities are often targeted because they don't look or act like the others that look and act like themselves. Saying he was targeting David because he was a threat could have been an excuse to get out any of the alpha males. Saying that he was targeting Jessica because she might have the secret power (not sure if my memory is serving me right here) could have been used for any number of people. There are legitimate statements that anyone can use to target people you want out of the house.

Targeting those four made all the young non-minorities safe at the cool kids table (with the exception of Bella, who is of course a minority).

I don't honestly think Michie consciously targeted the old guy, the only two black players and the latina on purpose. However, I think he is comfortable with people that look and act like him. It's human nature.

I don't know... Like I said... It's a complicated topic, and one with a lot of moving parts...

lynncosbm likes this.
  17. TriBruin

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Last I heard, she got her period after this post. Not pregnant.

18. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I think it would have been interesting if Julie asked Holly the question first... I think Holly's answer just supported Michie's non-commital answer...

19. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Bad ending and bad winner, but I'm glad Nicole won AFHG.

lynncosbm and jeetkunedo like this.
  20. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Huh, does that rumor come around every year now?