Big Brother 19 - OAD 7/30/2017 (Sunday)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I knew Paul was going to put up Cody and Jess regardless of all the red herrings they tried to send our way.

I don't understand why Jess did not come right out and say to Paul - if you nominate us you will be wasting your HoH this week. She said it several times and asked him several times if he wanted details, but if the goal was to NOT get nominated, she didn't do a very good job.

Also interesting - the HoH conversation (red herring) where Paul was talking to them about who could be a pawn this week - I took note of who was NOT in the room: Kevin and Josh. That would seem to indicate they are not very important to that alliance.

I think it is now only a matter of time for Cody and Jess - they just don't have the numbers. They and Mark would have to win the next few HoH's and get the numbers down on the other side to stay in this thing.

2. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I think Jess was trying to convince bait Paul in to NOT nominating either her or Cody by making it seem like it was a wasted nomination (very similar to Cody trying to nominate Paul). But, I think Paul made the right move to try and nominate them and see what happens. (Paul's look during the nomination ceremony was one of "what is going to happen?") I don't think it was necessarily a bad play for Jess, just one that had little chance to succeed (especially with Paul being HOH. She might have gotten away with it if someone like Josh was HOH.)

Speaking of Josh, that guy is insane. I am no Mark fan, but I would have slugged Josh for banging the pots and pans together. I really think he is unhinged.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I figured Paul would try and out them however it took, and I don't think Jess telling exactly what the temptation was would have mattered because Paul believes so little about what she tell him. For Paul, this is potentially a wasted week as HoH, unless you count hm getting rid of the temptation. It's strange though that they have the temptation challenge or whatever they wanted to call it the same week that the 3rd nominee will get saveed anyway. Again, this turns out to be another pointless challenge....Unless, somehow they can talk the house into saying they should vote off the 3rd person. And, that's not a bad play for Paul....convince his flunkies to say they will vote off the 3rd when in reality they vote off Jess and they don't use their advantage. But Paul would have to find out exactly what it is to mastermind that. And this goes back to the discussion of the producers telling Jess she has to come clean about her reward, which would again, be to Paul's advantage.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they do use it, if Julie will "out" them, or will she just let them use it and not say anything about it being for one time only. In some respects, this is where Survivor does these types of things better. Jeff lets them play out these false flags (fake immunity idols and such). I guess the lying can get a big much, but Jess isn't really out and out lying, just bluffing, bending the truth a bit and being vague.

I wonder if Josh is putting a lot of this on? He wants to be noticed. He has no real game plan and that his alliance is egging him on. But whatever it is, I'm tired of him acting like a 2 year old. And if he says "meatball" one more time, I'm going to throw one at him :)

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I can't really criticize Josh, because I'd feel guilty when it's finally revealed he has a mental illness, or a learning disability, or suffered a traumatic brain injury, causing his inane behavior.
    There is that possibility, but I think it gives Josh too much credit. I want a phone/tv #MuteJosh app.

5. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

If he really has a mental disorder, there is NO WAY he should be on this show, and I blame the producers or CBS for not doing their due diligence. It's one of the reasons why I kind of thing that some of it is just an act. Or his way of getting attention since he really has no game play. We've already seen him "act" when he was up on the block and acted like it was a foregone conclusion he was going home.

But I can't stand the guy, and every time he's on screen I cringe. The sooner he goes home the better.

verdugan likes this.
  6. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't see this as a wasted HoH for Paul. He has two objectives and knows that it is likely that he only gets to meet one. The first in my opinion is to force to light the temptation. By nominating Cody and Jess he either makes her use it or calls her bluff that she doesn't have it. Either way he has done what he wanted. I almost think that getting one of them out is almost an afterthought this week for him. Note the conversation where he talked about needing protection next week because he can't play for HoH and believes the two of them will still be here.

If I were him, I would have planned to put up Cody and Mark instead of Cody and Jess. It would have made her decide whether to use the hex or not since she wouldn't be in direct danger. Of course it's a moot point since Mark won immunity for the week.

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Can't really do that because if Jess wins Veto, she takes down Cody and doesn't have to use the hex. Better to put them both up there. If one of them wins the Veto, they can save themselves with one of them still up there, making Jess have to choose whether or not to use it.

8. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Not sure if you mean this week or in general. It did occur to me it gives Cody and Jess an additional opportunity to keep themselves off the block next week and the week after. Next week, that would of course reveal the temptation was one and done.

9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    What I mean is that Jason goes on the block as the 3rd person in a week where it almost definitely just won't matter because of the the hex will be used. Of course we didn't know what Paul was going to do (although most of us assumed Paul was putting up Cody/Jess and that they will use their hex, which makes Jason up on the block meaningless. If the producers wanted to play it straight, how about Jess' hex work ONLY on the original two nominees?

10. TriBruin

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    if Jess wins the veto and gets pulled doff the block, (I don't see anyone else doing it), would she save Cody with the Hex? If she was smart, she wouldn't. First, she would be safe for at least another week (and we are getting close to the jury.). Second, I am hoping that she realizes that Cody is not good for HER game. He was the one who convinced her to leave Ramses up and he is so disliked by the house, that she is being ostracized herself. I think she would be better off without him in the house.

Frylock likes this.
  11. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with all of this.

12. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    That's not the situation I was replying to.

If Paul nominated Cody and Mark, and Jess wins the Veto, then she can use the Veto to pull down Cody and still be safe herself. Both Cody and Jess would be safe and she would still not need to use the hex.

The only way for Paul to guarantee one of them is still up there (and make Jess have to choose to use her power) was for Paul to nominate them both outright. Otherwise there's the chance that both of them are safe and the power doesn't get used.

13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I love that Mark and Elena some how feel blindsided and are genuinely surprised that the majority left them out of the discussion after the two of them saddled up to Cody and Jessica... True, they probably thought that this week was less about the two alliances, and more about getting rid of an irritating houseguest and keeping a boy scout... But once the votes were announced, they had to figure that it was their tight relationship with Cody and Jess...

I don't know...somehow, I think the girls are MUCH BETTER without their boy toys... I like Jess without Cody... And I like Elena without Mark... Unfortunately for Elena it is a little too little too late for her. Her DR interview where she says that she needs to take care of herself, and she doesn't want to go home because of her showmance... She doesn't want to "look that dumb"...

Paul's conversation with Elena was interesting... Basically it was "I am giving you another chance to come join me and the numbers... Come be on the bottom of our totem pole!".

Again, I really like Elena without Mark, but I think her game is done unless something unusual happens.

And what is up with Cody coming up and trying to convince Paul that Mark wants to align the two of them? What? How the hell does that make sense? I guess he is right...Mark wants to play both sides, so aligning with Cody AND Paul makes total sense for him!

It's hilarious to watch Jess engage with Paul multiple times and ask "hey Paul, do you want to more about the hex? do you have any questions you want to ask me?"... Paul doesn't fall into this trap and just has no interest in learning more (probably because he knows it's all going to be lies and "spin").

14. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    So Cody gets back in, and says he will listen to Jess. Apparently that lasted all of a week. Hello Cody, you're terrible at this game! Listen to Jess! She is WAY smarter and WAY better at strategy than you are!

loubob57 likes this.
  15. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    That's a tough call though. For Jess to get further, she needs allies and comp wins. Saving Cody might allow him to stay and win HOH. At least they're both there to compete. Since it's 8 against 4 basically, no matter what she does with the power, the other side can run out the clock on them unless they can win a couple comps in a row. That, and convince whoever is on the bottom of the 8 that they need to flip to get further....

16. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So I assume that Jess will use the hex just before the vote? But Paul still thinks he will get to put up another nominee, although that wouldn't explain why she thinks she can save herself and Cody both. So when the whole thing is canceled and no one goes home, it will be obvious that she doesn't have the power to do that 3 or 4 times. No way the game will be put on hold for more than one week.

Why did all those people play in the hex thing? Yeah, they didn't want Mark to win, but since he's a pretty good competitor, it was dangerous for them to go up against him, as cowboy found out. I guess they figure they have the votes so there's no risk. :confused:

17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    If my understanding of the Hex is correct, it stops the eviction entirely. No one goes home.
    Which means we end up with an extra houseguest, which means a double eviction soon there after.

And the others don't know that - Paul was safe for 4 weeks, I suppose Jess could convince them she has the power to do that for 4 weeks also.

P.S. I kindof can't wait until Thursday - Paul thinks Jess can remove her self as one of the evictees - they are going to go on thinking she is bluffing right up until the last minute. That should be fun.

18. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Right, it's partly a bluff to attempt to make Paul change his plan. She knows it can only be used once, but it certainly can be used to save both of them if they're both on the block. If she uses it, neither of them can go home. Unlike a power that is particular to a person.

It just buys them time to try and win the next HOH basically.

19. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah... The bluff was to try and delay getting put on the block for fear of wasting the HoH's week of power, but it backfired on them... Instead of delaying, Paul wants to flush it out immediately...

She probably should have just kept her mouth shut... Or, perhaps she should have leaked the "bluff" so that it gets more credibility as a house rumor, versus having her boldly announce it after the eviction...

20. TriBruin

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I don't think it mattered much. I suspect Paul was going to nominate them one way or another (especially after Mark won immunity for the week.) I doubt Jess thought about too much, she was still pissed about the vote, before she blurted out that she had the Hex. But, it made everyone stop and think.