Big Brother 19 - Battle Back OAD 7/10/2017 (Friday)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

That was incredibly stressful, but I discovered I really was rooting for Cody to come back.
    - yes, he's a tool but I still think the first weeks were rigged in Paul's favor.

This is almost like a reset button - only - know Jessica having the Halting Hex Temptation pretty much skews it in their favor...

Should be fun - whoever succeeds in getting either of them out - will be halted.

I guess they could not, but I was curious if they could hear the battle back happening - made me wonder what the layout of the house is - it's either sound proof or that backyard is away from the living quarters.

I did not like that the house got to vote who competed. I think they should have done another swap. You compete and lose - you go home. THAT would have been fun.

Steveknj likes this.
  2. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    So predictable. As I was watching I predicted what was about to happen, and it happened every time. Just ask yourself, "What would make for the most compelling script?"
    That's what I was thinking. That would have only been fair, particularly after all the benefit Paul has derived from battle back competitions and swaps in his BB career.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  3. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I think the DR quotes were way too obvious about what was going to happen. Cameron would say "I look over and see Cody way behind me" and I knew Cody was going to win. I was rooting for Cameron just because I think Cody is such a tool and I don't really want him back in the house (other than he is willing to go after Paul.) I actually think Jess would be better off without him.

That would have been cool and BB doesn't tell the HGs until the vote was taken.

Julie: "Paul, expect the unexpected, you have been voted to represent the HGs. But, only one person can stay in the House. If you lose, Cody takes your place!"

Did anyone feel that it was a little suspicious that EVERYONE voted for Paul (except for Paul of course). Consider they should have had no idea what was coming and not been able to discuss it ahead of time, I would expect a few choices. I think that Mark would have been a strong competitor as well, if you wanted someone to NOT come back. However, if Jess thought that Cody had a chance of coming back, I think she should have voted for a weak competitor, such as Raven.

4. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Just part of the predictability. The producers made the new rule of having a house representative because they knew with 100% certainty Paul would be chosen. Who else would they choose other than the guy who did it last year and fought his waÿ back into the house twice? And the producers chose the particular competitions because they wanted a one on one showdown between Cody and Paul. As soon as I saw the maze balance comp which relies heavily on spatial skills I said it's heavily skewed for Cody and Cameron to advance. I hate to generalize but women usually have the edge with verbal/language/memory and certain endurance comps and if the producers were rooting for the women to advance for story purposes they would have had one of those comps instead.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas

Advertisements

Was that Paul that came back? I thought it was Victor.

Anyway, letting Cody chose which comp was also in his favor - he had already had a chance to figure out how the controls work, and that is 90% of that comp. Paul never had a real shot.

lynncosbm and gossamer88 like this.
  6. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    That's right, it was Victor who was the comp monster and Paul just used him as his pawn. See!? You have a better memory than me!

7. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I haven't watched very many seasons of BB - this one, last season, and maybe one other - so they don't all run together :)

8. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    I've maybe only seen the last six seasons myself.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I didn't think it was predictable at all. Cody did NOT win every competition he played in so - he easily could have lost.
    I also did not understand why Jess voted for Paul to compete. Made no sense.

10. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    She probably realized her vote was meaningless anyway so if the vote is announced why make it obvious to the others you went against them?

11. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    ^^ This

12. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    Don't know if I can continue to watch this season now that Cody is back in the house. I dislike him with a passion. In fact, none of the house guests are very likable IMO. It seems to me that there is a lot of behind the scenes "rigging" going on. The show is losing its credibility (if it ever had any) with me.

Frylock and lynncosbm like this.
  13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree with the Jess part. Cody didn't help her game at all,

I like that idea, if Cody came back and Paul left if Cody beats him :) But I wonder (cynical as I am) if Paul would have WON the vote to battle Cody. As soon as they announced that someone from the house would battle in the last challenge, I knew it was going to be Paul. Further proof that the house is in Paul's pocket. These people need to wise up. I'm just not sure they are "bright" enough to do it.

I was rooting for Cameron because he never got a fair chance to play. But I was glad Cody went back in, because it makes for a more interesting game. I would have really been mad if Paul had won. It meant I would have wasted an hour of time Friday watching this and in the end absolutely NOTHING changed.

14. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Cody could've beaten those three blindfolded and with one arm...okay...maybe not but it would've been close.

15. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    So no one thinks the odds were blatantly skewed in Cody's favor to get back into the house by using a competition he just did and has an obvious learning curve? Clearly they (CBS) wanted him back in for the drama but they practically handed it to him. Otherwise why not level the playing field and use a completely different event? All under the rouse of the house having the ability to block the returning player. Possible I guess but the odds were stacked so heavily against.

And I suppose it was just coincidence that Jess got the final temptation which ensures an elongated tenure for them and not just one and done had he or Jess lost the HOH comp.

I wasn't a total BB conspiracy theorist (or at least didn't care much previously) until seeing how blatant they have been this season.

lynncosbm likes this.
  16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    All true. To me, this has been the most blatant use of producer "tweaks" (I'm being kind), to give huge advantages for certain players. First giving Paul immunity the first 3 weeks (and come on, you can't tell me that the producers didn't KNOW that he would win that when "America" didn't know any of the players and would vote for the one player they knew), and that they didn't tweak the comeback games in Cody's favor to make the game more interesting. I used to be the same way as you, but this season is becoming too obvious.

17. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, while safety was dangled for online voters to give to paul, at least it was a vote, like online voters awarded jess her power just before cody had a chance to re-enter the house (i saw that one coming from a mile away, too, and it's why i didn't vote for jess to win the temptation).

i thought the battle back comps gave all those evicted a fighting chance, and didn't favor the most athletic players. if they had wanted to give cody an advantage, a physical comp would have been the way to go, he was most fit of any of the competitors.

my biggest gripe is there should have been a different comp for the showdown, the practice run was a huge advantage, but that would have helped any one of the evicted hg's, not just cody.

lynncosbm likes this.
  18. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah...it was clear that they wanted a previous house guest to return... They dangled the chance of preventing it in front of the existing houseguests...but the odds were certainly stacked in the evicted houseguest's favor...

19. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I agree. I don't think the Battle Back necessarily favored Cody. Any one of the four had a chance. But, it certainly favored that the winner of the evicted HGs against the current HG. They had an advantage of knowing how the game worked, even it was a different maze.

But, I don't have a problem with that. BB wanted someone to come back. It causes drama, which is good for TV.

MikeekiM likes this.
  20. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Right there with you buddy!