Big Brother 17 - 9/16/2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by loubob57, Sep 17, 2015.

1. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Poor JMac, he went further than any former evictee has.

Now the only one I don't want to win is Liz. I can argue that Vanessa has been manipulating things from early on. Steve has made some big moves lately. But to me Liz is only there because she was part of an alliance. All 3 of them have been annoying at times. Steve probably less so.

2. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Out of the three left, I'd vote for Vanessa. I do agree that steve has made some big moves recently but he was terrible for ~75% of the game. You almost didn't know he was there. Of course, alot of that is editing.

Liz has won some comps and HoH. She's my least favorite of the three but I think she wins if her and Vanessa are the last two (if we have a bitter jury).

What a waste of time to have brendan and rachel on. Does anyone care about there thoughts on the game so far? And now, they have reproduced. :(

3. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Vanessa will be taking Liz to the final, Steve is toast unless he wins out on comps.

At first I didn't think it made sense that she sent home JMac, but by keep Liz to the final she keeps her vote out of the Jury house. It's like she's counting cards!

4. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    What did JMac say during his speech before eviction? I didn't catch it... he looked at Liz when he said something - and others in audience chuckled a little. I didn't catch what he said.

The next HoH - do they all three get to play?

5. Dnamertz

Dnamertz Active Member

Jan 30, 2005
    You think she will do that? It keep's Liz's vote out of the jury, but it makes two jury votes that Vanessa automatically doesn't get. There are nine jurors...she would have to win 5 of the other 7 jury votes.

6. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Q1 - I had Googled it and it was a quote that had something to do with the game Halo. He said something like "If they came to hear me beg, they will be disappointed - The Arbiter" Or maybe you meant before that when he said "some of us aren't too good at being discrete about being excited" while looking at Liz. Overall he was saying he knows Liz knows she's staying because she has a lousy poker face, so he's not going to beg.

Q2 - Yes

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is what I was thinking and initially I thought that Vanessa was going to get rid of Liz and keep JMac because of that. Right before the eviction I paused and said to my wife, she's keeping Liz because she probably feels that:

A) Liz is weaker in competitions, especially ones involving puzzles or math, so Vanessa has a better chance to win

B) Vanessa thinks that she has Steve in her pocket, and when it comes down to Steve winning the HoH, she'll say to him exactly what you're saying, that Liz has two votes in her pocket and the rest of the house would probably vote for her while Vanessa made some enemies.

C) Steve would have probably taken JMac to the finals instead of Liz

D) She still thinks she has an alliance with Liz

So Vanessa played the odds as she has the whole game.

Other thoughts:

I think Steve has a shot to win, but it's slim. I do think his strategy early was to be everyone's friend, vote with the majority. When he was forced into a decision when he won the first HoH, he then chose sides. At that point I feel he was playing a decent game. But, unless there's a bitter jury, I don't see him beating Vanessa, and Liz has two votes built in, and probably Shelli's as well. I'm not sure he can get Meg or Jame's vote so that would be the end of him.

I thought it was interesting in the Jury House how Austin was insisting on not voting for Vanessa to win but Shelli kept pointing out how well she's played the game and how she's had a hand in voting each out and it's apparent she'll vote for the best player. Whoever is most persuasive decides who wins. I know James respects game play, I'd imagine if Steve is on the Jury, he will. Meg probably votes with James. So I think if Vanessa makes the finals she'll win.

If Vanessa DOESN'T win HoH but Steve does, I think Vanessa goes home. If Liz wins HoH, I think she takes Vanessa, because Vanessa will fill her head with all of the stuff above.

8. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I don't like the last 3 at all. Vanessa has clearly been the best player though. She deserves to win.

I hate crybabies like Austin.

9. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I think Vanessa got rid of John for reasons stated, but also because John would likely take Steve to the end.

I am guessing she wants Liz out next. Steve will likely bring Vanessa over Liz. Vanessa will likely bring Steve. The question is, does Liz bring Vanessa. She might.

I think the move to get rid of John was to give her the best odds at getting to final 2. From there, she can likely spin things in her favor. It would require more work over Liz, but I think she can do it there as well.

10. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Liz is crazy if she thinks she can beat Vanessa, but then we have the advantage of hearing the jury talk about her.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Over the last couple of episodes we've seen Steve repeatedly say that he can't beat Vanessa in the finals, so it's not a given he brings Vanessa (and his actual plan was to oust Vanessa if she didn't win the veto). That said, we've seen Vanessa talk Steve into a lot during this game and I'm sure she'll talk about the two guaranteed votes she has with Austin and Julia.

12. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    if vanessa doesn't win, it will be an epic failure on her part at this point.

13. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Not necessarily. It's not in her hands. The jury could be bitter and there's nothing she can do about it. Or, she could lose the next HOH and get evicted. That's no more a failure than anyone else losing.

14. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Here's how I see it:

If Steve wins the final HoH, he should take Liz to the finals. He will most likely lose to her, but she's still his best option.

Conversely, if Liz wins the final HoH, she should take Steve.

If Vanessa wins the final HoH, it gets a bit more complicated. She should probably take Liz. Yes, she won't get Austin or Julia's vote, but I don't think it matters. There is a high probability that everyone else, including Steve, will vote for her to win. If she takes Steve, all three Austwins could vote against her. If Jmac votes against her as well, she could potentially lose.

The bottom line is that if Vanessa makes it to the final two because one of the other players took her there, she will almost certainly win the game. Both Steve and Liz would be foolish to take her to the end. Steve is probably smart enough to realize this, but I doubt Liz is. Even so, Vanessa can be very persuasive. There is a good chance she would be able to convince Steve to take her, even though it would not be in his best interest.

15. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    if she fails to convince the jury, she still fails.

16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I see it the same way, although I do think that she could win against Steve, despite the Austwins voting against her. I think Shelli, Meg, James and Jackie all vote Vanessa, and The Austwins all vote for Steve (although, we've seen that Liz can't stand him, so that's not a given). So its up to JMac and Becky. Now Becky and Steve have had an interesting history in that Steve thinks Becky was after him, and if she really was, that's the fifth vote for Vanessa and it doesn't matter what JMac does. I also don't see her being a bitter jurist.

17. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    If anyone fails to convince the jury, they fail. Your characterization earlier that it would be an epic fail implies that she has it won and it's more of a failure than anyone else losing. I don't think it is. This game just doesn't work that way.

18. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    my reference to her losing as an epic failure was intended as a commentary on how hard vanessa has played to make it this far, compared with the rest of the house. no one else's game was near her level of play. sure, there were many with good social games, and others with comp wins, but vanessa has been controlling multiple levels within the house for a long while now.

i may not appreciate her game, but will still admit she's an excellent player, and i expect her to win. so i would also view her failure after making it to final 3 epic, because of how hard she's worked and how well she's played.

steve for the win! :)

19. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    From a purely objective perspective, she has done the most to put herself in position to win, that's certainly true. It's just that Big Brother has never been "fair" in that respect. I really don't know who I want to win at this point...

20. Dnamertz

Dnamertz Active Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Great points.