Big Bang Theory question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scooterboy, Oct 19, 2009.

1. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...

Advertisements

I had not watched this series from the beginning, though I caught a few episodes here and there over the last two seasons.

I finally realized that the episodes that I caught really made me laugh, so I've been catching up. I've watched S1 and I'm almost through S2, while watching S3 as they happen.

So here's my question. For two episodes in S2, Leonard was dating Dr. Stephanie, played by Sara Rue. Then she was just...gone. No explanation, no break up. What happened to her? Did I miss something?

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    No real explanation she just went to go play basketball with Chuck Cunningham.

3. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Just try to remember it's a sitcom, not a soap opera. ;)

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm in the same situation as you, catching up while simultaneously watching S3. I thought the relationship with Sara Rue's character became strained when Leonard realized that she had basically taken over and moved in without him consenting. I don't remember any overt act of him breaking it off with her, but I thought it was pretty strongly implied that's what happened when he realized that she'd taken too much control and he kicked her to the curb.

5. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA

Advertisements

I had totally forgot about her character.

6. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    It was this. Well in also the fact that no matter if he denied it, tried to fix it with other women, Leonard still ached for Penny.

7. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    According to this synopsis, it was pretty clear that Leonard was breaking up with her, but she could tell it was coming so she'd change the subject and get him into bed. I don't think we ever saw the final death knell, but it should have been pretty obvious after this episode that their relationship was doomed.

8. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    In the scene where they were in bed, he said they needed to talk, and she freaked out saying "this is where you'll say you want to slow things down, and that you'll call but you never will call", etc.

He then denied that he was going to say that (even though he was), and continued cuddling her. Her mind was put at ease.

Next episode, she's gone without a mention. It didn't seem resolved to me, and if they weren't going to show the breakup, at least it could have been mentioned later that they had broken up.

Just seemed odd to me.

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    According to that synopsis I posted earlier, after the scene you referenced, he then texted her telling her that he wanted to slow things down. It was implied that she then texted back asking if he wanted to have sex, but at that point, the cat was out of the bag. I don't think there was much more explanation necessary.

10. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Sorry - I missed your link before.

I do remember that text message scene now, but when she texted back and he took off for sex, it seemed to me that he was still stuck in the loop.

So I guess I'll just accept that it fizzled out before the next episode picked up.

11. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I complained about this back when it was actually happening. She just kind of disappeared. It was a huge plot hole, in my opinion.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I was going to say "gee, I dunno, I've had a few relationships that did exactly that.." they just sort of stopped for a while, some came back, some didn't

Diane

13. Mispelld

Mispelld Bad Speler

May 6, 2009
    Thanks for this thread. I'm in the same boat as I only started watching BBT about a month ago and marathoned the first two seasons and have now caught up.

This question always bothered me as well as the last thing Leonard did with the Dr. was run off to her for sex after trying to break it off with her via text. Admittedly the relationship was dead but they sure didn't communicate that very well. Maybe a scene that was cut?

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    She left Leonard, and is now working at a newspaper in a small New England town.

15. Mispelld

Mispelld Bad Speler

May 6, 2009
    Well, that's unfortunate. :( Our healthcare system can ill afford losing another medical professional to some small town Yankee fish wrap. ;)

16. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    I was just so happy to see her gone that I never questioned how/why they did it. :)

17. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Thanks, peeps! I don't feel so alone now! :)

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, I'm not sure if you got it -- but the actress is now on Eastwick.. that was what my attempted joke was referring to.

I like the actress, she was great on "Less than Perfect".