Big Bang Theory moving from Monday.

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by jamesbobo, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1 of 22
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ

Advertisements

The Big Bang Theory has been doing very well on Monday nights so you would think CBS would leave well enough alone. Instead, when the new season begins in September, Big Bang Theory will be moved to Thursday night at 8pm eastern time. At least there won't be any conflicts for me. Your mileage may vary.

2. Aug 2, 2010 #2 of 22
    cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I for one am not at all pleased. I looked forward to it on Monday evenings. I have zero desire to watch Mike and Molly, so CBS gained nothing from me there.

3. Aug 3, 2010 #3 of 22
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    For me, there would be, or maybe.

This Old House and Community are on then.
    FlashFoward was, but I don't know what ABC has then.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #4 of 22
    AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Fine with me; I'm tired of the networks putting all their good shows on Monday.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 22
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

The show on ABC is called "My Generation" and it is a drama based on what happened to a bunch of high school students 10 years after they graduated. Hmm, Community and Big Big Bang Theory sound like what I will be watching.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 22
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's not about leaving well enough alone. Big Bang was on Mondays to take advantage of the lead-in from Two and a Half Men. But the ratings for BBT have grown so much that they're now bigger than 2.5 Men. Running the two most highly-rated comedies on TV back to back in the same one-hour timeslot is a horrible business decision, when they could split up the two shows and use them both to build up new shows. Moving 2.5 Men wasn't really an option, since it's been a staple in that timeslot for several years and likely will be ending soon. If BBT becomes a hit on Thursday, it can anchor a new comedy block for CBS on Thursdays for a long time to come.

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 22
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wasn't there another show just like this within the past few years? (or maybe decade)

I vaguely remember something VERY much hyped, perhaps on Fox, and it flopped badly.. I seem to even vaguely remember liking it, so it's a shame I can't even remember what it's called.

Yes, this is WAY vague..

8. Aug 4, 2010 #8 of 22
    Syzygy

Syzygy New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Maybe you're thinking of The Class, a CBS sitcom (September 18, 2006 .. March 5, 2007). The series revolved around a core group of eight 28-year-olds who were all in the same third-grade class 20 years ago. Despite early enthusiasm for the show, 19 episodes, and satisfactory Nielsen ratings, CBS announced on May 15, 2007 that The Class would not be renewed for a second season.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Class_(TV_series)

An obvious difference is that, while The Class referred to a 3rd-grade class, My Generation is about 28-year-olds who were (presumably) in the same high-school class. I liked The Class and was sorry to see it go.

9. Aug 4, 2010 #9 of 22
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Doesn't matter to me. I watch it whenever it comes up next on TiVo.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah, but you do that even better by putting them in a two hour block with a different partner show for the other half hour for each. That is how CBS built their Monday block and how NBC has owned Thursdays for decades.

History has shown that when a show is moved far away from its home, it doesn't do well.

And, with 2.5 Men ending soon, BBT could keep Mondays healthy.

11. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    moving a good show away from MNF should help boost its ratings, I would think...I don't care when a show airs anyway, as others have pointed out...

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I couldn't have told you what day Big Bang Theory was on if you'd asked me. Of course when it was airing weekly, I probably could. I don't think it's really going to matter that much to most TiVo users. At least not to most TiVo users who have at least two dual-tuner units. :)

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Just watch your recording on Mondays.....:D

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Of course that's the ideal. But CBS already has two very healthy hours of comedy on Mondays and they want to establish another comedy block on a different night. Of all their available comedies, BBT is the one best suited to being moved and still drawing a solid audience in the new slot.

15. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Two tuners wasn't enough for Mondays in my house last season, so I'm hoping it'll be enough this season.

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have had it happen where three tuners weren't enough.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's why Doug said "at least two dual-tuner units."

Mondays were pretty crowded for me last year, as well. I only had two tuners and had to download some stuff. I have three tuners for this season, so I'm hoping that turns out to be enough.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Nope. "Reunion" on Fox comes closest, but maybe there wasn't actually a show I was thinking of.

19. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Good thing there are only four "major" networks that show a program only once a week. Almost all the cable-only networks air their hit shows multiple times per week.

20. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    Yeah, I remember Reunion, and I suspected it might have been what you were thinking of. Definitely a flawed show, but it was, shall we say, a bit of a kick in the teeth to cancel it at midseason and not even provide like a 2-hour "ending" to give some semblance of a wrap-up. (The premise, for others, was that a group of high school classmates were celebrating their 20 year reunion. There was a murder while they were all in high school, and each episode dealt with one year in the intervening twenty, slowly releasing details which would ultimately show who committed the murder, etc.)