1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware when TiVo has your credit card number

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jim Rutherford, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    Giving your credit card number to TiVo is dangerous. TiVo overcharged me and then told me that company policy is that if the customer doesn't catch the overcharge within 3 months, then TiVo gets to keep the money they overcharged.
    I had multiple TiVo devices for which TiVo was charging my credit card for monthly or annual fees. I recently realized that one of the devices for which I was being changed $137 each year was a device I for which I had requested service to stop at the same time that I started TiVo service on the replacement TiVo DVR. TiVo charged me 3 annual payments (totaling $511) on a TiVo device that I threw away 3 years ago. TiVo could tell from their system that it was in fact true that the device for which they were charging annual renewals had not connected with TiVo for 3 years.
    Even though TiVo agrees that they had charged me for 3 years of service that I did not receive, they insisted on keeping my money.
    It is going to cost me far more than $511 to get my $511 back, but I am still going to do it.
    TiVo makes it difficult, but always find a way to pay TiVo in a way that they don't keep the credit card information allowing them to charge the card later.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do note TiVo's informal mediation requirement in its current terms of service--this might be an efficient way by which to try to address the issue.

Jim Rutherford likes this.
  3. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    You got charged for 3 YEARS before you caught it and disputed it?

I'm amazed you were so unaware of that fact for so long...

4. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    2018-02-13_21-31-56.jpg
    Actually, the Billing History part of the web site seems to be designed to generate exactly this type of confusion.

I have had 11 TiVo VCRs. Since the Billing history is separated into a separate list for every past and current DVR, I had to allocate enough time to select the billing history for all of the DVRs I have ever had (including ones I haven't used for years) in order to notice that I was still paying for a DVR I threw away 3 years ago.

Obviously, TiVo could have a combined Billing History page that shows how much you have paid and which VCRs you are paying for, but it appears to me that TiVo has decided that they make more money if the billing transactions related to obsolete TiVo VCRs are hidden where users won't be looking.

5. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    And yet no one else on the planet has these types of problems. Come on. Pay attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jrtroo likes this.
  6. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    Actually, my point is exactly what you are saying.

I am not smart enough and I don't invest the time it would require to keep TiVo from overcharging me.

I should stop owning TiVo unless I am willing to watch them close enough to keep them from charging my credit card while I'm not looking.

7. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    It has nothing to do with TiVo.

It has everything to do with being a sentient adult who paid a credit card for 36 months and then claims to be oblivious as to what he paid.

Or you weren’t looking at your credit card statement which gets us back to point A - pay attention.

Let me be very clear - your lack of personal responsibility is the issue, nothing else.

unclehonkey, stile99, V7Goose and 3 others like this.
  8. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    You realize my point is exactly the same as yours.

People (including me) should not give their credit card information to TiVo unless they are willing to watch TiVo closely enough to make sure that they are not being charged an annual payment 5 times a year if they only have 4 TiVo devices.

I don't watch for fraud closely enough to deal with TiVo. There may be other people who need to see what happened to me and pay better attention to credit card charges from TiVo.

You make a good point about how people deserve ridicule if they give their credit card info to TiVo and then don't review TiVo charges.

9. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    You realize my point is exactly the same as yours.

People (including me) should not give their credit card information to TiVo unless they are willing to watch TiVo closely enough to make sure that they are not being charged an annual payment 5 times a year if they only have 4 TiVo devices.

I don't watch for fraud closely enough to deal with TiVo. There may be other people who need to see what happened to me and pay better attention to credit card charges from TiVo.

You make a good point about how people deserve ridicule if they give their credit card info to TiVo and then don't review TiVo charges.

10. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    No you are trying to pass three years of responsibility onto TiVo. Our positions are very different.

You can write English, articulate a position blaming someone else, presumably pay for internet and have some sort of computer to be writing this on.

This is entirely your responsibility and to the degree there is a problem - it’s your fault, not anyone else’s responsibility.

You deserve ridicule for being so much of what is wrong with our society and failing to take personal responsibility for your own actions.

Do us all a favor - just stop.

stile99 and jrtroo like this.
  11. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    This is not news to me, I've read about the same thing here before. If you cancel, you have to watch them.

JACKASTOR likes this.
  12. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    REGARDLESS OF WHO IS AT FAULT, AND I WOULD STATE TIVO IS THE NUMBER ONE RESPONSIBLE PARTY, THE onus for some it still falls on you to a small extent, but that doesn't make it right(been there and back, not with TiVo, but the company did in the end make it right). However TiVo Should make it right by offering at the very least a credit on your account to be used toward service on your devices or lifetime on a single device of your choosing if you so wish. I Think that you should contact TiVo Ted and see if he can assist you in finding a reasonable solution. The other thing you could try if that doesn't work is to see if your credit company will assist you in reversing the fraudulent charges that were collected. They might or might not. either way I think that TIVO has to do the reasonable thing here and give you a credit of service equivalent to the value of the money they accidently have stolen from you.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yes, as you would with any reoccurring charge provider, inept customer service isn't exclusive to Tivo.
    This is about personal responsibility, like it is every other time someone comes into TCF and puts forth the same post almost note for note.

CTLesq, jrtroo and MikeBear like this.
  14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Too bad you did not get lifetime right up front. Ivr heard stories of folks not paying attention to a monthly fee, but not $137!

Why are you throwing electronics away, selling or recycling is more responsible.

15. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Just in case you didn't know, and you're still being charged a recurring fee, the Mini's are now lifetime with no additional fee structure.

16. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    A- cant your credit card company help? they are usually quick to see to it that thier cards are not abused. B- you should always log into your Tivo account and see what boxes are listed as "active". If you saw five, you would have known there was a problem. I understand you called and cancelled but you do need to take some responsibility in this. its like buying condoms and not using them...gotta follow through! Same thing for golf..gotta follow through!!!

17. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Anytime I cancel a service with recurring auto charges, I ALWAYS check to see that they stopped. I've had the problem twice, one just last month, and immediately took corrective action.

jrtroo likes this.
  18. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    This is good advice and is probably what I will do.

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    When it's time to renew one of your current subscriptions, call in and raise the issue with the CSR again and ask them to apply one of the unauthorized subscription payments to a subscription for your current Tivo or ask for $99 all-in service.

20. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    This is a systematic problem that would be recognized and addressed by an honest company. Any computer dude could prevent charges to inactive dvr's.

This is standard every day corporate accounting, any bookkeeper could calculate and recognize the company's liability. They are required to by Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, this is about as basic as it gets.