Beware the Streaming Options....

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Karyn, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017

Advertisements

So I've got my new Roamio OTA up and running and having poured over the streaming options decided to start off with Hulu as they have many of the network programming I love! WRONG.

Recap of my first morning with TiVo:

First thing I go to HGTV to watch the episode of Good Bones which is the ONLY thing I watch on HGTV. Forget about it. Hulu doesn't carry Good Bones on HGTV.

Ok...let's try Animal Planet. Whoops. They have Animal Planet but nothing worth watching there either.

Well... we'll try ID TV. Surely my shows are there!
    Oops. Nope. Nothing I watch there either. Well, Wives with Knives there but not anything I'd actually WATCH.

Ok...all couldn't be lost. It's Friday and Live PD airs tonight. I'm not caring to stream it live so I'll just watch last week's episode, which I missed. Uhoh...they don't carry that either. Only strange shows like Hoarders and Intervention which I have absolute disdain for.

Hmmmm.. best call Hulu and let them know they have some glitches. Called Hulu. No glitches. They just don't carry anything anyone wants to watch BUT if one wants to fork up $39.95 plus tax per month SOME additional content may be available in their Hulu "Live" programming.

Seems Hulu has changed a bit. A lottabit.

While I'm certainly and OBVIOUSLY not exactly a resident expert on this new world of TiVo I'm no spring chicken on what "live TV" is vs. "on demand". "Live TV" is for sports and news, etc. On demand is "library pickings".

Representative said "live" is "channels'.

I guess Hulu isn't my choice and am ALREADY cancelling! LOL!

Might I beg upon my TiVo friends to assist me in the NEXT option as I don't trust Hulu now since their definition of live seems far different from the rest of the world.

On the surface some look good but in reality, if they're like Hulu, the analogy would be a box of chocolates is offered but all the "good ones" missing out of the box and only the stale, picked over ones not desirable exist.

Thank you!

PCurry57 likes this.
  2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Best cable tv streaming replacements are DirecTV NOW, PS Vue and Sling TV depending on what channels you watch. DTVN has the biggest lineup. Hulu Live TV and YouTube TV are distant last IMO.

All have free trails which I highly recommend you take advantage of. I've tried them all.

PCurry57 and Karyn like this.
  3. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Hulu has never had everything from cable. It is mostly next-day network shows from the broadcast 'nets (except for CBS and CW) plus previous seasons from select shows. Hulu Live is a new offering to compete with other pay-cable alternatives like SlingTV, DirectTVNow, etc.

PCurry57 likes this.
  4. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I have a feeling I know exactly WHY I purchased a Roku now and it's a bit disappointing to see I'm going to be juggling remote controls and boxes around.

It APPEARS that the only REAL option (to my programming taste) is Sling in which case they have the Sling viewer box thing for $50 as well as a DVR cloud.

I say disappointing as at this point it seems I've paid $399 for a recorder (TiVo) as the streaming options don't feature anything I watch. Hmmm. Am I mistaken?

I can't find anything I watch so I don't think so.

I already know TiVo Roamio OTA peeps have been begging for Sling and now I know why.

Oh well! The TiVo Roamio OTA is a nice little recorder for OTA and it does increase the channels on my Mohu curve but that's really all it does (again, for MY viewing preferences, not necessarily anyone else's). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I GUESS Hulu Live offers what I want but I'd not bank on it as they lured me into Hulu Plus at $11.95 per month not mentioning that not much is there...not so sure Live has all that much either and at $39.95 per month is still missing a few (even if carries many more than Hulu Plus) which brings me right back up to cable costs! :rolleyes:o_O:mad:

5. sdawson

sdawson New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Albany, Oregon

Advertisements

I am puzzled a bit by the OP. Hulu never advertised itself as the home for all cable content. They started as a collaboration of traditional OTA providers. I have been a Hulu user almost from day 1, which must be 8 or more years ago now. They were one of the first to do a great job of aggregating content from various publishers (NBC, ABC, Disney, Fox, and others) under one service. I used the free online version for years, then when I purchased a roku, a long time ago, spring for the monthly service.

They do not and never intendeded to carry everything, but they carry a lot of what is traditionally OTA broadcasts (CBS is lacking though) plus they have decent classic movies and lots of BBC content. For less than $10 a month, it was never intended to be a replacement for all the cable channels which costs 10 times more than Hulu. I puchased a large antenna, and amplifiier, and cut the cable years ago, long before I purchased my Roamio OTA, and I used Hulu to time shift much of my OTA content and supplment my Netflix movies.

Some of the missing channels, such as CBS may be viewed for free on an iPad (Big Bang Theory for instance), and one can attach the iPad via an adapter to your HDMI input on the TV to watch it on the big screen. One can also do this for some cable offerings, and news programs. A Roku can also be used to tune in to some traditional cable news feeds without a fee. Once I got the Roamio, I stopped watching CBS on the iPad so much, and just started Tivo'ing CBS instead.

wish_bgr and aaronwt like this.
  6. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Actually they DO lead people down the garden path with their paid subscriptions. They SAY the channels are there but there's only a scant bit of nothing on each UNTIL one calls them on it at which point they swoop in with they hook..."Hulu Live".

I wouldn't DIE paying the stupid $39.95 a month, I just don't like bait and switch. I'm worried they've another hook I'm not seeing.

They seem secretive about their offerings...maybe everything isn't quite set in stone yet as Hulu Live is quite new. I told them they'd best change the name as I doubt many people have the same definition of "live" as Hulu does....

Live, by MY definition, is sports, news, weather...things that are, um..."live".o_O

7. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I just called Hulu. Their live doesn't even work yet. I'm starting to really believe what I'd suspected all along...the world is full of half wit organizations that don't have a clue what they're doing anymore (wasn't always like that).

I guess I'll give Sling Blue a whirl. At least they have a pawful of programs I like.

mdavej likes this.
  8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You are suffering from the allusion that you can easily replicate cable without having cable. YOU CAN NOT.

In the past cutting the cord meant reducing the amount of content available. Now you can replace some of the cable only content via the various streaming services, however there is no way to replicate it all without paying more than what cable would cost.

You can subscribe to various VoD services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) or various live TV streaming services, DirecTV Now, PS Vue, Sing TV, Hulu Live TV, or YouTube TV, which are really just light cable packages, but you have to figure out what you want and where to get it and likely no services is going to give you everything if you are not willing to change your viewing habits.

And yes the Roamio OTA is primarily an OTA DVR, if you want access to the full set of streaming service you need a dedicate (or 2) streaming device.

9. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I suspect you aren't ready for cord-cutting. That lifestyle is moving from a mind-set of channels to one of content. You're still mired in thinking of the pay-TV model and may be happier in a pay-TV business model.

dfreybur likes this.
  10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yup, but honestly that is what a DVR is supposed to do, move one from watching live channels to viewing content from your personal VoD library.

Karyn likes this.
  11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    My universal remote cost me $20. I put a DirecTV NOW button on it (could be Sling TV in your case) that automatically switches my receiver and tv to Roku, launches the DirecTV NOW app and controls it. I also put a Tivo button on it to switch back to Tivo. I even have buttons that launch Netflix and other apps on Tivo with a single press (no navigating through menus). I have 18 devices that I control with this one remote. I highly recommend it. This is what it looks like in action:
    Directv now on Roku

Karyn likes this.
  12. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    It DOES make a very nice recorder. If any of us are old enough to recall VCRs we spent about $300 for a 2 head and $400+ for a dynamic 4 head (the latter has such futuristic features as pause) and spent a lot on tapes and even more on stylish furniture to store our many tapes THUS making the TiVo OTA at $399 all in a bargain comparatively speaking. Don't need decorative tape organizers either.

13. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Thanks! Probably a good idea seeing how I tried to change channels with my home phone and am juggling 5 different remotes at the moment. Tried to answer the soundbar remote early this morning when the phone rang. Nothing new about that though.

14. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    The cord is getting cut as I'm not paying Comcast one thin dime further. I'm tired of being totally broke all the time over a stupid TV. It's GONE!
    Poof!

Oh... BTW (edit)...I do think content. That's how I found out Hulu has channels no content on $11.95.

15. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    OMG! I've been ranting like a crazy person about how I hate pay-tv! I'm fine on what alternatives are...just not fine with bait & switch and that is what Hulu did. They don't even HAVE their offerings in my zip code or on my streaming device but happy to take $43 from me anyway.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Glad I only paid Hulu around $1.60 per month when I got three years of service. I have a subscription through 2019 with them and only paid around $19.50 for each year.

I rarely use it but it's a last resort option for me.

Karyn likes this.
  17. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I have Hulu Plus, and I'm mostly happy with it. The bad thing is, many of my shows last season (and probably this coming one too) are CW, which Hulu doesn't carry. :p

IMO, cord-cutting is very much YMMV. Everyone has a different mix of content, and every service has a different mix, and according to Murphy's Law, no service will have all the content you want. :p

Karyn likes this.
  18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You can stream everything on CW for free, no third party streaming subscription required.

Karyn likes this.
  19. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I sure can't argue that!

I'm actually thinking I'll just stare at OTA for a while. Summer's here. Why be staring into the stupid TV anyway? ID TV spins one take 6 ways to Sunday and makes a half dozen different shows out of the same darn content every season under different names...others copy that. Most good stuff doesn't start until Fall anyway.

No guarantee Sling TV is any better than Hulu either. I can't figure out WHO gets Hulu live anyway as I've punched in about a dozen different states and none get it SO I think I'll just keep my $$$ in the bank and pick out a few movies from Amazon, which I'm going to pay for anyway!

:)

20. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    I bought my first RCA Selectavison VCR in 1978, and paid $1,000.00 for it back then. 2 hour tapes were $25 EACH. It was a top loader BEAST with turret tuners that could only be set to a single channel. You had a timer to set to kick off at a certain time, and it ran until the tape ran out. Then it shut down. It was incapable of changing it's own channels and such,

kschauwe, tim1724 and Karyn like this.