Better What to Watch Now Suggestion

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by orionprime, Sep 19, 2018.

1. orionprime

orionprime New Member

Jan 6, 2008

Advertisements

I just upgraded to a Bolt Vox and the What to Watch Now suggestion are all trash. I did a cursory search of the forum and didn't find anything/ Is there anyway to improve them, or failing that turn it off?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It cannot be turned off.

I wonder if this is linked to the issues folks have been complaining about with the revised suggestions formula for Hydra. That's the entire reason I have not upgraded.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It also builds its suggestions and WTWN items from what you watch and record, clearly a new box would have none of that data, so at least some of this requires usage time.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the WTWN/Suggestions feature on the previous UI still works as expected, a new box can be rolled-back, though at the loss of:
    • current content,
    • settings and
    • VOX voice control.
    See: How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Please let me add my observations. WTW(n) and suggestions are not related. The OP wants to kill WTWN since it suggests stupid stuff. It does. Also, WTWN seems based on current "sniffing" of what TiVo users are viewing. Try WTWN at 7am. It may not display all 9 thumbnails. It may display channels you have unchecked. Also notice the delay before the thumbnails are displayed. I guess that's my TiVo asking the servers what people are watching and gathering the pictures from Akamai. Just move over the pictures and you will see the network and channel. Finally, it's a good way to gauge the responsiveness of the TiVo servers. Drop the internet and WTWN is the first to go. I found no difference between TE3 and TE4.

One last time: suggestions and WTWN are not related.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Agreed, and I could have made that clearer in my post, both however do use viewing and recording habits as part of their logic.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    One correction. Seems the channel must be checked in the channel list to show. Funny, I was wondering why I never see kids shows. Now I know it's because, except for PBS, I'll never get a kid's show in my WTWN listings. All this time I thought South Park was a kid's show. :D

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    South Park definitely isn't for the kiddies.

kpeters59 and dianebrat like this.
  9. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I've done 3 thumbs down on some suggested shows, yet they continue to be recorded in suggestions.

10. orionprime

orionprime New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Thanks everybody for confirming my fears.
    If it actually used my suggestions it would be a useful feature. Right now, it's inaccurately named as well as a pointless waste of resources. It they called it What Everybody's Watching and made it a menu option it would be fine. Right now it's so aggravating I'm considering getting rid of the unit.

11. orionprime

orionprime New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    After some sleuthing on my end and reading the forum here I was able to come up with a solution that appears to be working so far. Search the forum for C501 errors for more information. The TiVo stays!

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was testing the function. My earlier conclusion is wrong. It's just a display of current content on channels in your "My Channels" list. The delay is due to networking lag to get the thumbnails.