Better to clone failing HDD or Start from scratch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by wintermute824, Nov 7, 2016.

1. wintermute824

wintermute824 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Have a Premiere (TCD746320) that I suspect is failing. It was failing to play back local recordings recently (they recorded fine, played fine after downloaded/offloaded, played recordings on other boxes in network) and after several exhaustive phone sessions with Tivo Support, the only thing left was a C&DE. That restored function enough to record and play, but the box is getting very noisy.

I'd already picked up a WD Purple (2TB) drive and dual-bay drive cloning dock with intentions to research and either clone the failing drive or start anew with a base image. At this point, I've lost or downloaded the recordings that were there, and so, I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to try to clone (and later expand) the original drive, or just throw in the towel, and build a new drive/image and move of from there.

Dock purchased:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HDD2/dp/B00IKC14OG

Any thoughts? Can someone share an image of the best match to replace a TCD746320, and then upgrade the capacity using the available space on the new drive?

I'm lining up some friends with better Linux/PC knowledge to assist, as I only have a pair of Macs at home.

2. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    Funny, I did just this today for slightly the same reasons. I didn't expand but I may do the work on that later. I don't need it.

Anyway, the clone worked perfect for me. Took about 4 hours for the 1TB. Seems to be working well now, and better. Maybe clone and if it can't copy over bad sectors it'll just skip them? Unsure....

3. rif

rif New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Hi b_scott, just sent you a PM