Better SD PQ on Series 2 than on Premeire?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by michael1248, Jul 16, 2011.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I can't explain this....

I recently moved to the mountains of Colorado, abandoning Comcast for Time Warner. When I upgraded the cable TV to included high-def programming, I surprisingly found out that the local cable company (Gunnison, Co - Time Warner) does not supply their customers with the HD feeds for the Denver locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). What's up with that, anyway? Legalities with a satellite provider I was told. Bah! Humbug!

I left my old Series 2 connected to my LG Plasma (video composite) along with my Premiere, connected via HDMI. Guess what? My Series 2 provides better picture quality on the Plasma when I watch the Denver locals in SD.

How can that be?

2. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    When you use a cable card, all the channels presented to the Premiere to tune are digital while the Series 2 is tuning the analog versions carried simultaneously on the same cable (for non-digital subscribers). TW will cram up to 10 SD program streams into each 6 Mhz digital channel to allow carrying more HD channels. The original analog SD signal is degraded more by TW's digitizing of it than carrying it over the cable (in it's own 6Mhz slice of spectrum) to your series 2.