Better scaler: Series 3 or Faroudja chip in A/V receiver?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by geodon005, Jul 26, 2008.

1. geodon005

geodon005 Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Mt....

Advertisements

I am buying my first upscaling A/V receiver, the Denon AVR-1909. The Denon uses the Faroudja FLI2310 chip for upscaling. Which does the better job: the Series 3 scaler or the Faroudja chip in the Denon?

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    the Faroudja Chip in your Denon.

So put your S3 into NATIVE mode.

However, there are some caveats to this. I have a Denon receiver with the Faroudja chip in it as well. However I still can't set my S3 to Native mode.

Why? Because even though the S3 is plugged into the Receiver and it is plugged into the HDTV. There are issues at least with my TV in the passing of the HDCP signal. When in native mode, Everytime the resolution changes on S3 the HDCP signal has to update. The receivers just pass through the HDCP signal. My HDTV has issues with it changing anytime I change the channel, or play a recording.

Thus I have to set my S3 on 1080i fixed & not let my Denon receiver do any upscaling :(.

The issue is with my HDTV. Not the Denon receiver.

TGC

3. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    My setup uses a Pioneer Elite, but it works well with a Samsung TV.

Tivo (native) -> Pioneer Elite (output 720p) -> samsung (DLP 720p).

No problems and I think with most current TVs you won't have a problem. (TexasGrillChief that's a bummer)

I will say that the scaler on the Tivo doesn't do as bad a job as I expected. Flipping between the Tivo, the Pioneer and the Samsung doing the scaling, I think most non-enthusiast would not see a difference.

Al

4. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    I've got a Denon AVR-3808Ci at home and I've got my S3 set to 1080i fixed and have the AVR deinterlacing to 1080p for display on my screen.

If your TV doesn't blink out every time the TiVo changes resolution then your best results should be "Native". If it does flake out for a few seconds each time then set it to 720p or 1080i fixed (whichever more closely matches your screen).

5. masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006

Advertisements

Same setup for me, Denon 3080+S3. The Tivo has a delay in the resolution change plus the Denon has delay locking onto the signal. So I keep my Tivo at 1080i fixed.

6. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    My Denon upscales my DVD player's component output to widescreen, whether it is or not. I have to plug the DVD player directly into my TV set.