Better player for .tivo files

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by RickAltman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. RickAltman

RickAltman New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Advertisements

I recall last year discussions about alternatives to Windows Media Player for playing .tivo files and would appreciate a refresher course.

I seek a simple player that simple keystroke controls for moving forward and backward through a recording.

What are others using...?

Rick A.
    Pleasanton CA

2. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    VLC Media player seems to play almost anything I throw at it.

3. jgreg5

jgreg5 New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    VLC doesnt seem to be doing it. This is REALLY driving me crazy!!! I gotta find a player

4. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    It's been awhile since I've messed with it, but I seem to recall liking the ZoomPlayer interface. VLC is nice becuase a codec is builtin.

EDIT: Often controls are limited by the file type and/or codec being used by the player.

5. thelastvoice

thelastvoice New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hollywood, CA

Advertisements

Media Player Classic (not related to Windows Media Player in any way) works great for me. It has built-in MPEG2/SVCD/DVD codecs. It's free, no ad or spyware.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

Robert

6. RickAltman

RickAltman New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Hmm, this was a player that had keystrokes akin to the TiVo's remote: Press <Left Arrow> to go back 10 seconds and <Right Arrow> to jump ahead 30 seconds. That seems like a small thing to ask for but I can't find a player that offers it. Anyone...?

7. 2farrell

2farrell New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Willow...
    The Core Media Player is another.
    You can fine tune the Aspect Ratio if you have problems in that area and many other tweaks.
    http://www.corecoded.com/

8. jmemmott

jmemmott New Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    For Zoom Player (mentioned earlier) as delivered :

,(comma) - 5 seconds backward
    .(period) - 5 seconds forward
    <Alt>, - 20 seconds backward
    <Alt>. - 20 seconds forward
    <Ctrl>, - 120 seconds backward
    <Ctrl>. - 120 seconds forward

But both the number of seconds and keys used to trigger the movement can be changed if you are not happy with the default values.

9. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    "mpeg-vcr" does this. Not really a player (it's for editing mpg files), but when playing the videos, you can hit left or right arrow to advance a frame at a time or up/down arrows to advance more (configurable: a set number of seconds, or a set percentage of the file).

10. Impulses

Impulses New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Yup, that worked for me too. I've been using it because I hadn't installed my standard DVD player app and I had it on hand but I might keep using it regardless in the future, it's pretty powerful.

The program is great, very small footprint, doesn't even need an install routine ('least the version I got)... You just run the exe and play whatever you want. It has FF and RW, I'm almost sure you can bind or re-bind the keys it uses for that but I can check for certain later (not at my own PC atm).

Edit: Just downloaded it on this PC (like I said, it's a small file, 4MB), and it does let you re-bind every single key so you can use whatever you want for any of it's functions.

11. The.Mayor

The.Mayor From Alabama

Oct 25, 2005
    Brainy Boro, NJ

Looks like it is well supported, as there was an update on 1/21/2006.

You got me interested, gonna dl it now and give it a whirl. :up:

John

12. BrianEWilliams

BrianEWilliams New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Any idea how you re-bind the keys? The documentation seems to be missing.

Edit: Figured out how to re-bind keys, you just click on the value and get a drop down menu. Any idea how to adjust the amount of skip? Seems like the largest skip is 20 seconds.