Better job of allowing OnePass setup for shows that don't premiere for a long time

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by csell, Aug 23, 2017.

1. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    To me, it's really annoying and frustrating when you are watching a show in the summer and there's an advertisement for a new show coming up this Fall. The show looks really promising so you decide to set a OnePass for it before you forget the name of it, and of course its not listed (most likely because its not being aired within the next two weeks). It would be nice if they could do something to get more 'future' shows listed.... To go along with this, I remember in the past you would occasionally see the "Thumbs up" on an ad for a TV show to record. I never see that anymore and that would be really convenient for something like what I described.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There was a time before the Rovi takeover when you could search for future shows and set up 1Ps for them. They didn't have everything, but most of the major network shows and a fair number of cable ones would show up early, sometime months early. But Rovi apparently stopped supplying any Guide Data past the normal window.

jth tv likes this.
  3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I basically don't use one passes any longer. I use wish lists that match on the title. This issue is one of the reasons for that. I just wish I could setup a wish list on the web interface so I could use a decent keyboard while doing it.

4. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Concur!

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Do you have a smart phone? You can use the Tivo app on it to type.

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Yea, but that doesn't really qualify as a decent keyboard either (though it is certainly much easier to use than up/down/left/right through an on-screen grid).

7. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Okay. Yet, we are not typing the Gettysburg Address here. Just things like a show title. Not sure how much a full keyboard is needed for that.

8. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    iPad?

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Something relevant from another thread...turns out it IS possible to set advance 1Ps, at least for some shows, but it requires a little bit of workaround...

10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah. It's weird that the show is accessible but not in a straight forward way. Not the first time we've seen evidence of inconsistent or multiple databases.

11. bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I agree 100% ... and it baffles me. TiVo has become so anti-customer, they're all about "either take what we feed you or go hungry" lately, it pisses me off.

So I totally understand the way its done now is the same way it's been done since the TiVo box in 1998... you know, back when things were dial-up modems and the box would phone-home every couple days to download that whopping 40kb programming list update?

Yeah, TiVo, news flash, it's 2017, and everyone's box is hooked up to broadband. Not only do cable\satellite boxes not have the 7\14 day out restriction on their programming lists that tivo does, many give the option to set a reminder for a fall premier recording as early as spring when shows are announced.

TiVo has done an abysmal job keeping up with technology of the competition. If TiVo wants to charge a "premium" for using their features (which they love to brag about), then they need to deliver a SUPERIOR not SUB-PAR product compared to the cable\satellite providers' boxes.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although note my more recent post, where I realize that you CAN set advance 1Ps...it's just not as easy as it should be.

13. bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Hmm, I don't see how it's possible for some shows... I saw an ad for a new show, The Good Doctor, premiering September 25. Can't find it on the screen, can't find it on the app, since TiVo is stuck in 1998 with their "we only deem you worthy of 2 weeks of guide data".

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Two weeks is pushing it. I find real data is only 6 to 8 days. Check late night or the news programs. After Wednesday most are just boiler plate or generic. I expect the guide to drop to 8 days soon.

15. bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah, which is weird because I have family with cable and they can see out 21 days, or even more. So I think it might just be TiVo going cheap with their provider. Especially in scenarios where you know fall premier's are coming on a specific date\time, it's absurd not to have it. The irony is often the shows are the ones TiVo advertises in the pause-spam-ad. LOL