Better Call Saul S5E6 - Wexler v. Goodman *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gregor, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:00 PM.

1. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Wow we see Mike as a slick PI getting Lalo pinched, Saul blindsiding Kim with all kinds of stuff.

And Kim wanting to make it permanent....

Intriguing, I'm gonna have to watch it again...

hummingbird_206 likes this.
  2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I was reading the big thing about this season would be a reason why we see no Kim in Breaking Bad. This certainly does not push that narrative along! Were cops that easy to access with a basic cb/scanner? I guess if you know the lingo...

3. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    Did Kim mention getting married because she knows what Jimmy has done, and can’t be compelled to testify? Or maybe she has a plan for one last con, to make lots of money, and again, she can’t be compelled to testify.

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think she's thinking of the marriage privilege. I think the opening flashback scene, showing how she grew up with an alcoholic and unreliable mother has made her a little bit broken, a little co-dependent, and maybe she just is afraid of being on her own if she kicks Jimmy to the curb. But it's clearly a horrible idea. She should be running far, far away from him after what he did in this episode.

Tony_T and photoshopgrl like this.
  5. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Well that was the absolute last thing I thought was coming out of that. She's definitely on the runaway train now. How will she explain to Rich and Mesa Verda that not only did she not immediately dump her boyfriend that basically blackmailed them all but that she's marrying him? Or will they do it in secret? None of this can be good!

Yes, Mike! Help Nacho! The actor that plays Nacho has the amazing ability to be threatening and quite scary one minute and then earnest and scared himself the next. When he was telling Mike his dad had a gun to his head, I just wanted to reach through the screen and hug him. Also that shirt he was wearing was awesome!

So refresh my memory... DID Lalo actually kill the Travel Wire employee? I'm drawing a blank for some reason.

6. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    They didn’t explicitly show Lalo killing the travelwire guy, but strongly implied it.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Kim’s left Jimmy with two choices: A) End this now, remember the good times we had and go our separate or B) Maybe we get married
    Jimmy doesn’t want A, but he will hesitate on B and I think that will force Kim chose A

8. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    MARRIED?

I could not believe what I heard Kim suggest. Totally NOT expected.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  9. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    This is one of those things where we need to suspend belief I guess. Mike was using a Galaxy 949 which is a standard CB radio. Pretty sure no police department has used CB for dispatch calls in the last 40 years, if ever.

Albuquerque PD uses a multi-site EDACS trunked radio system that would be impossible to access unless he had a radio specifically programmed for that system. No CB radio would be able to access that system.

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Then...or now?

11. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    As someone who works in the industry, I often have to bite my tongue when I see how plots involving radio take liberties.

12. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    Good point... that is the current system, but even in the 90’s and early 2000’s no city would use regular CB radio for dispatch calls.
    In the 70’s and 80’s it was common for some police cars to have CB radios in order to monitor emergency channel 19. But regular communications with dispatch would take place on a dedicated system. Despite what Smokey and the Bandit would have you believe.

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Maybe that was a modified Galaxy 949 ;)

Hank likes this.
  14. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Is there any significance to the Kim flashback being in Nebraska considering Gene winds up in Omaha?

15. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI

Yes, it is only TV... however, as you know, when it comes to BCS and BB the debates can get pretty intense when it comes to validity and attention to detail!

Tony_T likes this.
  16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Just joking, not directed to anyone, I always liked that Bill Shatner SNL clip :)

jsmeeker likes this.
  17. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Yeah, they've established Kim's ties to Nebraska a few times. Not sure if anything will come from it, but there's a chance she'll show up in the Gene timeframe.

18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Trunked radio systems have been around since the mid 90s, usually either to increase available bandwidth by allowing channel reuse quicker, or to frustrate scanner (radio scanners, not image scanners) users who listen in on police radios. (A radio scanner is simply a wideband radio receiver that can pick up a wide range of radio frequencies, often including analog TV, first responders, military, aviation, marine and other bands).

It didn't last long since many fancy scanners often had "trunk follower" modes where they would be able to tune into the trunk control frequency to let you continue reception. Of course, modern trunking systems are fully digital, a change that happened after 2001 (you can figure out why) when all the first responders upgraded their radios.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's been previously established that she grew up in a small town on the Nebraska/Kansas border. It's why she's a KC Royals fan.

Interesting listening to the Insider podcast this week. They shot that "winter" scene in the middle of summer, and since the actress was a minor she couldn't work past midnight, but because it was the middle of summer, it didn't get fully dark until nearly 10 pm. So they didn't have a lot of time to shoot that scene. Also, they said something about there being a rule that because a performer was walking next to a moving car, there had to be stuntpeople involved, so that made it even more complicated.

20. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah sadly Kansas and Nebraska citizens are forced to root for a Missouri baseball team, not having one of their own.