Better Call Saul S5E01 "Magic Man" OAD 2/23/20 (Breaking Bad Spoilers OK)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Feb 24, 2020.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    That was a very fast 55 minutes! The beginning with "Gene" was exciting too! Can't wait to see where that goes. He's clearly tired of running! (also I assume they filmed this before the actor who plays Ed died?) And what the what with the diamonds!?

I have so many thoughts so I'm sorry if this is long or jumbled!

I'm so happy to see Saul finally has arrived! The cell phone giveaway was genius. I think it's also becoming increasingly obvious why there is no Kim in Breaking Bad. I think we all must have known she was going to use his ruse with her client. It may be unethical but you can't always fight stupid with logic. I was on board for that trickery. She can't help herself but go along with him and sooner or later it's either going to bite her or she's going to have to clean break from Jimmy. I'm still unsure which I think it'll be.

It's always a good episode for me that ends with Nacho still breathing. I am really interested in what they are going to do about Lalo. I am curious why Nacho even told him about the product rumors? I'm not particularly fond of the actor or the character so I'm okay if he exits left sooner rather than later. This show does such a grand job of casting of everyone but he's just not believable for me.

Also Mike. That's all just .... Mike.

hummingbird_206, lynncosbm and Tony_T like this.
  2. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I always suspected we’d see more Ed in BCS. Too bad Forster died.

Not surprised to see the taxi driver wasn’t just Gene being paranoid. Don Harvey is an awfully big name actor for a one-off role, so apparently we’ll see him at least once more.

Trying to figure out what the deal was with switching plates and going to that diner (that’s a real diner in Albuquerque, wondering if the BCS version of it is there, too).

hummingbird_206 likes this.
  3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The diamonds were just to show that he still has access to serious money if he needs it.

4. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I get what they are for but I want to know where they came from!

5. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I'm sure he took them with him from his old life.

6. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    :p Again, Yeah I get that. I just want the backstory on how he became the owner of said diamonds.

7. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    The second-to-last time we saw Saul before (in "Quite a Ride") he was stuffing bags full of cash. I'm sure part of Ed's service was converting that to something more storable.

I think there's some more interesting backstory that they could have filled in, but unfortunately, Forster isn't around.

hummingbird_206 and Tony_T like this.
  8. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Also, I liked how in the followup call he's ordering an adapter for a Hoover MaxExtract PressurePro model 60, instead of a filter.

I'm a bit surprised, however, that one of Ed's rules wasn't "never, ever call the store after an extraction", setting up some sort of alternative communications channel for those. Seems risky.

Thinking back over the diner seen, I think that diner is just supposed to be a random diner someplace in the broader area, and he was just killing time before going back and scoping out his apartment.

9. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Loved the scene with Kim and the plea deal. Trying to do the best for her client and he's figuring he can charm the jury (right). Talking to Saul and he's trying to convince her how to convince the client, and Kim is having none of it. We see her going back to the client and just sort of collapsing inside, realizing it's the only way he's going to take the deal and figures out how to make it work. She dies a little inside.

Kinda surprised Gene gave it up so easily. I half expected Gene to say "I've never been there.", but perhaps Gene is tired of not being the flamboyant Saul that everyone wants to see? Looking forward to see how he takes care of it himself. He's actually not as far from ABQ as I thought - I had figured somewhere in the upper midwest.

hummingbird_206 and photoshopgrl like this.
  10. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

photoshopgrl and SonicCookie like this.
  11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    How many shows have a season cliffhanger in the first episode of the season? :D

(Can't wait to see what Gene does about the cabbie next year!)

12. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Now at least the accompanying goon knows his identity too. He's got to nip that in the bud. Maybe the cabbie knows something about the backstory of the diamonds. Why would he bring that big goon with him and persistently insist Gene admit his identity?

13. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I'm pretty sure this is just your basic shakedown.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  14. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Thanks for posting this!

Turtleboy likes this.
  15. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    It's funny how long it took me to realize he was the same cabbie we saw before.

hummingbird_206 and Turtleboy like this.
  16. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    It took me until just right now.

17. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    :D Glad I'm not the only one that didn't get it watching the episode then!

18. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Also don't forget, another episode airs tonight in the normal time slot!

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Band-Aid Box from Marathon Man
    Is it safe?

20. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    think it was in alan sepinwall's review that they had planned it to be a voice call originally, but they realized as long as they had the vaccum shop set for El Camino they might as well shoot his side over the conversation back then.

was nice to see him again. sad though.

photoshopgrl likes this.