1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Call Saul S4E6 “Piñata” Sept 10 2018 (Breaking Bad Spoilers OK)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Sep 11, 2018 #1 of 187
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I liked Mike's plot the best I think. Not much happened but it was cool seeing how they are going to build the underground lab and how good Mike is at making sure everything is taken care of. Niko is sure to be trouble soon.

I was surprised when Jimmy already had a plan for the street kids. Piñata indeed!

markymark_ctown likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2018 #2 of 187
    mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Maybe in all the details of the lab construction, we will find out where the top end of the freight elevator is located. I don't remember ever seeing that in BB, just the people stairway entrance under the washing machine.

Or, did I just miss that? :)

3. Sep 11, 2018 #3 of 187
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Given that ginormous space, and a pretty unlimited budget for the benefit of the guys, why not give everyone their own sleeping space? I'm going to guess some of them might need a little... privacy... over the course of 9 months.

uncdrew likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2018 #4 of 187
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Pretty much a wasted episode IMO.

5. Sep 11, 2018 #5 of 187
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    It's an interesting plot point. While we think they are professionals, will they be abstinent the entire project?

No way Mike/Gus will allow anyone in that living compound. But of course these guys will have a party soon.

6. Sep 11, 2018 #6 of 187
    dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Will we see the beginnings of meth head prostitute Wendy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NorthAlabama and tivotvaddict like this.
  7. Sep 11, 2018 #7 of 187
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm going to make a completely wild-ass guess here, that there's probably some psychology that when housing hard-labor workers like this over a long term project, productivity is significantly greater with shared quarters. You don't want the workers to be too comfortable.

But obviously with this new building to house the workers (with all the sets and setups and new characters), the writers are settling in for a much longer arc with the building of the Superlab. So I now think it will be quite a while until we start to see any BB overlap (besides the occasional flash-forward intros).

As much as I like BCS, I kind of agree, with this episode. With Kim, all this build up is only about her wanting to get into PD work and leave the banking stuff to associates? Obviously she's trying to distance herself from Jimmy. But like did we really need the long scene with Jimmy loading up the burner phones from the palette? Seemed like they could have tighten that up a bit. I was like "ugh, I get it. It's A LOT of phones".

Of course, retribution on the thugs was sweet.. and HUEL!

VegasVic likes this.
  8. Sep 11, 2018 #8 of 187
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I think the episode was well worth it just for Jimmy's retribution. Both for the satisfaction of him getting back at the punks that jumped him, and because we're starting to see more and more of the dark side coming out.

Maybe they could have tightened it up a little bit, but it's another very enjoyable episode for me.

jasrub, tommage1 and DevdogAZ like this.
  9. Sep 11, 2018 #9 of 187
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah we all know Kim isn't part of Saul Goodman and at some point we'll see how/why they split and I'm interested in that but the whole mail room thing and the unnecessarily long burner phone/nail salon thing, I mean come on you only have 10 episodes. And no more Hector in the hospital please with the will he/won't he wake up. We already know.

uncdrew likes this.
  10. Sep 11, 2018 #10 of 187
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Totally agreed ^^^^^

11. Sep 11, 2018 #11 of 187
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I loved the Gus/Hector scene. Gus is a bad hombre.

Beryl, BrettStah, jasrub and 2 others like this.
  12. Sep 11, 2018 #12 of 187
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    THAT'S what happens to Kim!

:D

TeddS, VegasVic and uncdrew like this.
  13. Sep 11, 2018 #13 of 187
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think when Mike came in, he realized that the sleeping quarters had already been taken care of by Gus, but he realized that to keep these guys from going stir crazy when they won't see the sun for 6+ months, they needed other things to make this area an enjoyable place to be. If the guys need privacy, they can arrange to sleep in shifts.
    Wow, you're definitely watching this show for very different reasons than I am. I loved the mail room scene and getting some background on what Jimmy and Kim were like 10 years ago and what made Jimmy begin pursuing his law degree. And getting to see a much younger and healthier Chuck was a nice treat.

Likewise, the Gus/Hector scene had nothing to do with whether Hector is going to wake up. As you said, we all know the answer to that. Instead, it was all about Gus sharing that story about his origin and how patient he is willing to be to get revenge on someone who has wronged him. I was riveted during that story.

And obviously seeing the very dark side of Jimmy come out when dealing with those street hoods was one more step along the way of Jimmy turning into Saul.

As for Kim, she's realizing that she enjoys practicing law when it directly helps individuals rather than abstractly helping big companies. She is trying to change her life from her current situation to one where she can do more good. Meanwhile, Jimmy is trying to change his life and the choices he's making are taking him in the exact opposite direction. At this point, it's no surprise that Jimmy and Kim break up. The only real question left to be answered is whether she's still around during the BB years and they simply have little to no contact, or whether something happens to Kim that propels Jimmy deeper into the Saul persona.

Boot, jasrub, tivotvaddict and 2 others like this.
  14. Sep 11, 2018 #14 of 187
    dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    It was an episode of beginnings. Jimmy (law library), Saul (pallet of phones and human pinatas) Gus (revenge on Hector) and blue meth (underground lab). All in all a good episode that provides a lot but wasn't in your face about it.

15. Sep 11, 2018 #15 of 187
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I found Gus' story boring because I guessed correctly where it was going (and it took forever).

In that last scene focusing on Hector's hand, I swear if he wiggled a finger I was going to throw my remote at the screen. ;)

VegasVic likes this.
  16. Sep 11, 2018 #16 of 187
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Me too!

uncdrew likes this.
  17. Sep 11, 2018 #17 of 187
    mrdbdigital

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    What's with the additional $5K check that Jimmy picked up? Didn't he already get the $5k when Kim picked up the check from Howard?

18. Sep 11, 2018 #18 of 187
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think Kim got the letter Jimmy had to sign to get the $5k.

19. Sep 11, 2018 #19 of 187
    mrdbdigital

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Aha, thanks!

20. Sep 11, 2018 #20 of 187
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Also, what's the deal with HHM falling apart?

Is Howard really losing it that much over Chuck's suicide to destroy his own firm (and himself)? Where are they going with that? Does Howard eventually turn to meth and that whole scene (poetic justice?)? Does he eventually take himself out, along with Kim in some last gasp retribution to Jimmy when he finds out it was Jimmy all along who tipped off the malpractice insurance people about Chuck's condition which spiraled out of control leading up to Chuck's suicide?