1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Call Saul S4E10: "Winner"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MacThor, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Oct 9, 2018 #1 of 140
    MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    I don't have much to say right now, but thought I'd kick off the thread.

The Mike and Werner scene under the New Mexico stars was one of the most beautifully shot, tragic scenes I've ever seen on TV.

2. Oct 9, 2018 #2 of 140
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Absolutely. That was heartbreaking. You know where Mike is going, but you still don't want him going down that path. He resisted that kind of thing until now.

3. Oct 9, 2018 #3 of 140
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    That was a very good scene. The rest of the episode wasn't all that great IMO.

4. Oct 9, 2018 #4 of 140
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I thought Jimmy conning the board was great. Had me fooled. And Kim. She looked so deflated when he went over how it was a complete act.

5. Oct 9, 2018 #5 of 140
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    They went through the whole montage of going their separate ways a few episodes ago and I thought we'd see the Kim story line wrap up. Then it went in the opposite direction. Now they once again are showing them going in different directions. We know Kim is out of the picture at some point, I wish they'd get on with that part of the plot.

6. Oct 9, 2018 #6 of 140
    pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    There isn't much more to cover. Jimmy is practicing as Saul Goodman, Mike is Gus's muscle, the lab is just about finished...

Kim and Jimmy's breakup and/or her exit from Albuquerque is pretty much all that remains.

VegasVic likes this.
  7. Oct 9, 2018 #7 of 140
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    That's how I see it. One more season is plenty to get into BB territory. I wonder if that will be it or if we go to Omaha. I just hope it DOESN'T take more than another season to get to the BB timeline. I suppose they could get into the BB timeline and show us things that weren't covered in BB. I kind of hope they don't.

8. Oct 9, 2018 #8 of 140
    dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Also, the Lalo and Ignacio storyline (I assume against Gus) that Saul fears when we meet him in the desert in BB.

9. Oct 9, 2018 #9 of 140
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ok, so can we now all agree that Werner wasn't running for fear of his life? He really just wanted to see his wife for a couple of days. In fact, he was so naive that he thought that Mike would be mad at him for a while and he'd just return and resume the job to completion.

And while Lalo didn't find Werner hitchhiking, he did find him. Good call on whoever called that in the other thread.

What I want to know is that how did Werner know he was in Albuquerque? Mike did have his passport so he couldn't leave the country.. but I would have also thought that Mike would have been better at keeping the location of the laundry and the dorm bunker hidden from Werner and the crew. I guess the hole in that was visiting the strip club -- even still, wouldn't they have driven the crew a few hours away to hide their actual location? Werner must have had a lot of local ABQ information to figure out how to get money wired to a local money store.

I loved the phone exchange between Lalo and Mike. Reminds me of this:

getreal likes this.
  10. Oct 9, 2018 #10 of 140
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was really surprised at how loud and animated Jimmy was right outside that hearing room. I just kept thinking one of the board members was going to come around the corner and hear him bragging about how he pulled one over on them.

Kim was even more deflated/perplexed when he said he needed a dba form because he wasn't going to practice under the McGill name. "S'all good, man!"
    Kim is about the only purely likable character in the show. I sure hope she sticks around as long as possible. Obviously she has to go at some point, but I am certainly not hoping for it to come soon.
    Don't forget that we're in early-to-mid 2004 at the end of this season of BCS and Breaking Bad started in mid-2008. So there's still four years of story to tell between this episode and the start of BB.

The one thing about this episode that bugged me was the conversation between Werner and Mike, once Werner realized what was about to happen, when Mike said they'd make it look like an accident, Werner's wife and the German authorities would be able to investigate and they wouldn't find any problems, and the rest of the German crew would be sent home without consequence. How exactly does Mike plan to make this look like an accident that the German authorities can investigate to their satisfaction? Werner has a bullet hole in his head. There's no way Mike can let anyone interview the rest of the crew or the job site. The crew is going to know something is up with the fact that Werner escaped and then never came back. The wife is going to know that something was amiss from the fact that (1) Werner couldn't come visit and could barely ever call her for over a year, and (B) Werner yelled at her to immediately go back home after she had just flown across the ocean to see him. So was Mike just lying to Werner to placate him in his final moments?

11. Oct 9, 2018 #11 of 140
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, totally this. It was like Kim was frozen in a state of shock between hearing what Jimmy was saying (in total disbelief) and unable to tell him to STFU!

And also filing the DBA form? He just said (with "sincerity") that he's going to do the best to live up to the name "McGill" and then moments after getting his license back, he loudly files a DBA under a different name. I'd at least wait until the dust has settled (like a few days or a week) and then just go in quietly and file the forms.

12. Oct 9, 2018 #12 of 140
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
  13. Oct 9, 2018 #13 of 140
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Oh, and I did get a kick out of the return of David St. Hubbins in the teaser. :D

14. Oct 9, 2018 #14 of 140
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's how all TV shows are written. Vince Gilligan has talked about how even if you think you have a good idea how something is going to end up, it's always smart to keep an open mind, because someone on staff may come up with a better idea and you don't want to miss out on that better idea just because you're stubbornly clinging to your original idea.

Vince has also talked about how showing that machine gun at the beginning of the final season of BB was a huge mistake, because then they had to figure out how to make it pay off at the end, which he says was very difficult to bring it all together.

15. Oct 9, 2018 #15 of 140
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Oh I know...it just comes up a lot in a way that it seems people don't know that. It's been a major complaint in several of the shows I've discussed with people in the past.

16. Oct 9, 2018 #16 of 140
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Which is why I always like to point this out when this issue comes up, because too many people have unrealistic expectations for how their entertainment is produced.

17. Oct 9, 2018 #17 of 140
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Laws, sausage, and TV shows...3 things you don't want to see how they're produced...

DevdogAZ likes this.
  18. Oct 9, 2018 #18 of 140
    mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    The lab is nowhere near being finished. All they have now is a hole in the ground. A heck of a lot more work to be done.

19. Oct 9, 2018 #19 of 140
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Which is why I'm surprised as to why Gus didn't just bring back Werner to finish the job (under very tight surveillance) , then send the crew home, then "deal" with Werner. Now he's going to have find some other crew to finish it. I don't think Gale can manage that on his own.

20. Oct 9, 2018 #20 of 140
    GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    Prediction: Saul's and Mike's story lines will come together in the next season, as Saul represents the fake construction co that gets set up to handle the "accident".