Better Call Saul S02E08: "Fifi" OAD 4/4/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1 of 131
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I guess I'll start this one :D

Howard is the typical attorney. Not a bad guy, but certainly not going to do anyone any more favors than he has to when it comes to clients. He excused her debt, which was really great of him but then 10 secs after she's out the door calls her client.... his client I guess. He racing down the hall was hilarious.

I don't know what to make of Chuck. One minute I think his illness is just mental, the next I think okay maybe it's physical as well. Either way, that was brilliant the way he did nothing but talk Kim up knowing she brought them in, but at the same time knocking her down. Howard's face when Chuck started talking though was "I've made a terrible mistake".

Jimmy is so devious I am constantly blown away. In a good way. I wouldn't want him working against me, that's for sure. The scene in the copy center was brilliant. I kept waiting for Chuck to catch him putting the papers back so I'm happy I was wrong on that. I'm sure though Chuck will jump at the chance to put this on Jimmy once they lose the client.

Mike is up to something but I haven't figured out what. Is he going to sic the police on their operation? Sabotage it somehow or just attempt to kill them once he figures out the routine? Also any episode that doesn't show Nacho is a disappointment for me. I just love that character. I'm not even sure why.

On a superficial note, I want to yank that ponytail Kim has. It bugs me to death. How is that the hairstyle of a professional attorney? That curl. Okay sorry.

2. Apr 5, 2016 #2 of 131
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although that whole scheme seems insane to me...as if, in the 21st century, sole copies of documents would ever exist, much less be taken out of a major law firm. Once they check the printed copy against what they have on the computer, they're going to know exactly what happened, and given Jimmy's access to Chuck it will be pretty obvious how.

I hope they're setting up (part of?) Jimmy's fall with this, because if it works my opinion of the show will plummet! Not that I'm too worried...they're too good to be that sloppy.

3. Apr 5, 2016 #3 of 131
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I think it will work. I think Chuck will have no reason to compare until after the fact so he'll use his papers to send the client what they need and they obviously won't get it. By the time it's figured out, the client will be gone. Sure they'll realize pretty fast what happened and it's going to come back on Jimmy, there's no way it can't. I'm more worried for the fall out with Kim over it. That's not how she wanted the client.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #4 of 131
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    That opening scene - the long shot - was incredible.

5. Apr 5, 2016 #5 of 131
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, amazing. I wondered if a dolly/crane shot, or possibly a drone - but was rock steady. It looks like a busy location - lots of chain link, etc., how did they make room for that shot.?

[​IMG]

I looked very carefully to see if it was actually a single shot. I think the shots inside the garage/building was a cut. I noticed inconsistencies in the cast shadows of the garage doors - looks like a few hours elapsed. I may go back and watch again - very smooth cut - maybe when the couple guys walked very close to the camera(?) was the transition they needed.

I was somewhat surprised they got such cooperation from the border authority personnel, on Mexico and US sides. I thought it might have been a mock-up, but way too elaborate (?)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  6. Apr 5, 2016 #6 of 131
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Oh, yeah, I don't doubt that it will work...Mesa Verde won't care WHY HHM screwed up, just that they did. I'm just sayin', there ain't no way Jimmy's not getting caught. It will be interesting to see how he avoids getting disbarred over it, or prosecuted.

7. Apr 5, 2016 #7 of 131
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Comparing the footage to photos and Google Maps images? I'm almost certain that's just a very nicely done fake border crossing, probably done at some industrial site that had the basic layout they needed.

My guess is that drugs are hidden in the tires. And like a lot of actual border smuggling of drugs, it's accomplished by bribing CBP agents to make sure the inspection is cursory.

(The popsicle stick scene shows he's done this exact routine a lot).

8. Apr 5, 2016 #8 of 131
    markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, does not quite match the geography:

[​IMG]

Would love a behind the scenes on this.

9. Apr 5, 2016 #9 of 131
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    It was a tribute, in part, to the opening shot of Orson Wells's Touch of Evil, which also took place at the border crossing.

10. Apr 5, 2016 #10 of 131
    kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Found it. It's the Double Eagle Airport outside of ABQ.

They filmed the Fifi scene on the airfield.

And filmed the border cross at the Aviation Maintenance Facility which is pretty new.

[​IMG]

11. Apr 5, 2016 #11 of 131
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Definitely. I am looking forward to listening to the Insider podcast today to see how much behind-the-scenes info they give about the shot. I want to know how it seemed to transition from handheld to crane to dolly and back to handheld.

I was expecting Chuck to die while Jimmy was at the copy center and then Jimmy would never be able to forgive himself for sending Ernesto home and then leaving Chuck alone just to engage in his petty scheme.

I also don't understand how the scheme is going to work. Even if HHM doesn't have computer copies of any of the docs, it looked like most of the docs were not generated by HHM, but were prepared by the bank or third parties. So what's going to happen when someone compares the HHM copy with the original?

Also, the address Jimmy was altering was a Scottsdale, AZ address, so I assume the docs had to do with Mesa Verde's proposed expansion. And the docs like the Purchase Agreement looked to be already completed. So I'm not even sure what changing the address on an executed document will do.

12. Apr 5, 2016 #12 of 131
    kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I think they did most of it with Grip Trix with an Aero Jib on it:

http://www.griptrix.com/AeroJib.htm

Having seen a good operator work one of those, you'd be surprised how tight a space one can get that through.

13. Apr 5, 2016 #13 of 131
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In HHM's meeting with the Mesa Verde people, Chuck went on at some length about regulatory issues that could trip an expanding bank up. I assume (without having paid attention to the details) that one of the things he mentioned will come into play when something is filed for the expansion with the wrong address on it.

14. Apr 5, 2016 #14 of 131
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Hey. Turtleboy, what is the point of the forgery of the site address typo that Jimmy did? The client will eventually see the error and blame HHM?....or Kim will "find a problem?"

You can see a before and after of the documents in a PDF at AMC.
    http://images.sync.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MVfiles_2up_small.pdf

Ahhh...I see they're documents for a new Mesa Verde Bank branch office, including the real estate purchase agreement (Ya right. It's way too short.). If the address is wrong throughout, it will be big doo-doo.

Speaking of, what bank CEO would NOT have known about government programs and legal requirements for the bank? If he didn't' know about the CRA, the board should fire him. Banks put statements of that kind of stuff on their documents and web site.

i watched the Story Sync, where you learn stuff like how the Dog House is in BB, and the old man's crime is another flash ahead.
    http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/episodes/season-2/fifi/story-sync

15. Apr 5, 2016 #15 of 131
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Fifi is really the worlds only flying B-29. She is on tour (and was in Daytona Beach just last weekend). I saw her last year at the VE-Day anniversay celebration flyover.

The truly fun part (for me) is that my friend Andy, who is an aircraft mechanic in Mississippi sent me a text message early in the day asking about how to tell B-17s and B-29s apart. There was something at his airport and he wasn't sure what it was. He eventually went over and got close to it, and it was Fifi, the last flying B-29. So us airplane geeks we had a good moment over that, and then to see Fifi be the centerpiece of tonights Better Call Saul was pretty cool.

(yeah, ok, it's a lawyer show and I know squat about the law. But there's tons of lawyers here, they can talk about the law. I wanna talk about the B-29!!!!! :D)

16. Apr 5, 2016 #16 of 131
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I was able to buy a ticket to tour the cockpit on FiFi when I flew to Fort Wayne, IN many years ago.

I saw the pressurized crawl-tube that goes from cockpit to tail, where I heard if either end depressurized while a crew member is in there he gets shot out like from a cannon. I talked to a B-29 tail gunner/photo veteran who said the crews were never told about that.

They had the bomb bay filled with 55 gallon drums of engine oil, because it uses almost as much oil as gas, and it uses 475 gallons of gas an hour. That's why warbirds will only show up at air shows that will at least provide free fuel. The CAF stopped going to Oshkosh because EAA cut them off.

17. Apr 5, 2016 #17 of 131
    kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I'd love to see Fifi. I got to fly on a B-17 once and it was pretty damn cool.

18. Apr 5, 2016 #18 of 131
    markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH

Not my video, but I did get to see FIFI land at Nashua, NH. (very dinky airport). Also, was nearby when she took off again. Quite impressive - looked so much larger in real life.

19. Apr 5, 2016 #19 of 131
    Numb And Number2

Numb And Number2 Member

Jan 13, 2009
    You'll find it in Balzac.

20. Apr 5, 2016 #20 of 131
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Here is her 2016 Tour schedule. I don't know NH geography, but she'll be in Nashua in June, is that convenient to you?

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/