Beta testing - what kind of "reward" do you get?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sandyjasmine, Aug 20, 2007.

1. sandyjasmine

sandyjasmine New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Advertisements

I just got invited to do some beta testing, and TIVO says they will give me a secret parting gift. What kind of gift is it?

It would be fantastic if it were a new cool TIVO :)

2. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I don't think you're supposed to be telling people that you're beta testing.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can say you've been invited, but once you accept, you are supposed to keep quiet. Of course, any kind of blabbing is likely to get you crossed off the list for future betas.

I haven't the foggiest idea what TiVo is offering as a gift (haven't been a TiVo beta tester in 6 years and there were no gifts then), but I doubt it is anything as much as a new TiVo, especially if you're testing software.

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    I belive even mentioning that you were in a beta would be in violation of any NDA that you would have to sign.

5. sandyjasmine

sandyjasmine New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Advertisements

Lol, you guys are right. I guess I can't do it now.

Truthfully, it really seems like a hassle.
    1. Any problems, you can't call customer service.
    2. You have to send your beloved TIVO in if requested to do so. THEN what do you do? I can't live without my tivo.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I would LOVE to be a BETA tester!!! I have 3 tivo's I wouldn't mind if I had to send one back for a bit.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You also get the "coolness quotient" of knowing you got to play with something first, and if you put in bug reports, you get that warm fuzzy feeling that maybe, just maybe, you helped squash a bug that would make someone else's day go south.

I've done beta for a variety of folks over the years, and some has been a lot of fun, some has been a lot of work, some has consisted of testing truly dreadful software that should never have seen the light of day past alpha (it was that bad..) other times I've tested really cool new electronics devices before they were generally available.

If you have the time, it can be enjoyable, but it does take a commitment and a willingness to accept that something might blow up on you.

Diane

9. Trel

Trel New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    It is just like using Windows then.. :D

10. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
  11. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    And this is different from any other DVR on the market? I believe Comcast, Dish, DTV and TWC all have threads created by users in various message boards that are experiencing "challenges" with their new DVRs/software.

12. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Typically a parting gift like this from similar beta testing would be some small item (< $10) branded with their logo. Leftover giveaway stuff from trade shows and stuff.

Cool stuff, to be sure... and free. But nothing to get overly excited about. You're not gonna get a free TiVo if that's what you're hoping for.

(I'm talking in generalities here... nothing specific about TiVo or TiVo's beta programs which I may not have any first hand knowledge of anyway)

13. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    All the betas I've been involved in were because I wanted the product, and wanted the product to be good. In other words, beta testing is its own reward, you get your hands on the product and you (hopefully) get a better product because of your efforts.

I've never worried about any freebies at the end of the project.

14. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You get to fool around with all the bugs, reports for hour upon hour etc. But the reward is knowing that the end users receive something that runs well, and does its job.

btwyx above would understand :D

Sometimes, you may receive a Retail version etc of the finished product. Happens alot in Software testing. Got Windows Vista for Free :D and still have Longhorn.

15. clam729

clam729 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Received 2 really nice TiVo bags and 2 branded wireless adapters here for my part in the 7.x tests. Still using them all to this day...

16. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I guess that was your first and last Tivo beta ... :rolleyes:

(Did the bags come with initials NDA on them?)

17. clam729

clam729 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Beta is over. NDA is done. There is nothing in the NDA that I signed that says anything about talking about the beta or anything beta related AFTER the beta has ended. I am looking at my copy right now. Now, they may have changed them for the newer ones, not sure - doesn't really matter since I am not enrolled in any nor do I ever plan to again.

Wife aggro for beta-bugged TiVos (during testing, not final) > free gifts. No more here.

18. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    You pay them to do their testing?! No thanks.

19. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You get blamed for not doing your job whenever a new software release comes out. :p

He's being sarcastic. He's insinuating that anyone who bought a TiVo HD is a beta tester because of the ongoing pixelation issues.

20. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    oops. :eek: I guess I should have clicked on the link. :)