Beta Test for TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rcamille, Aug 16, 2007.

1. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

Has anyone beta tested for TiVo? Just curious to hear some experiences and whether or not TiVo provides any compensation in terms of equipment, service, etc???

2. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    If they have, they're not allowed to say. ;)

3. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Then any information that can be provided would be helpful. Would anyone that has beta tested do it again??

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I presume any beta tester agrees to or signs some sort of NDA, which presumably would include some restrictions on what they can say (or even if they can acknowledge that they participated or that the beta even existed), so I'd be surprised to see any responses here.

Just curious - why do you care?

(I happen to think that compensation is a terrible idea - I want real world testing in a beta test, not folks just testing for money or perks).

5. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Advertisements

Not sure if it's a universal thing, but beta testers for things like computer games often accept non-disclosure agreements - I have a couple friends who beta tested games like Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II, and even though they told me they were in the program because they were my friends, they weren't supposed to even tell me that.

I assume they all work that way, but who knows. As far as I know, my friends never got paid to test any of the games and they didn't receive anything else.

If you're interested, you can sign up for consideration at http://www.tivo.com/beta.

6. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    it seems like an interesting thing to be involved with, but, at the same time it could be a nightmare. I was just trying to find out if people found it to be a good rewarding experience or regretted it. Thats all.

7. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I'm guessing that some love it and some hate it. It probably depends upon the individual.

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I would guess just the opposite: Some hate it and some like it. :)

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Or they all both hate and love it. :eek:

10. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Signed up....crud, doubt I'll ever get in b/c I work for a somewhat competitor. :S

...even though I'm not involved with the actual product development of said competitor.

11. riddick21

riddick21 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Yes. I bought an S3. I love it though it was worth the few month of bugs. They still need to work out a couple though.

12. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Yes, everyone who has ever bought any TiVo product. ;)

13. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    All Tivo customers are beta testers. Granted, the S2 hasn't had quite as bad a round as the S3 and TivoHD have had lately, but I do remember there was a particularly nasty S2 update that made my Tivo remote and the Tivo itself fairly unusable for about 3 months before they finally had a software update that fixed it. Oh, actually there would be a SECOND time the update made my Series 2 so slow it was practically unusable also. That took I think 2 months for them to fix. So just think, you pay Tivo to beta test their software.

14. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    Several years ago, I volunteered and beta tested a new release for the series 1 DirecTiVo box (mine was/is a Sony SAT-T60). There was no compensation, other than having both tuners activated earlier than non-Beta folks. This was a test of the first software that enabled both tuners to record simultaneously.

For me it was a pleasant experience, but I happen to enjoy identifying and reporting problems and receiving a propmpt response, which all of us Beta testers received in a special closed forum thread. We could see questions and results from other testers, which led to more tests of the same problem by additional testers.

At the time this testing occurred, TiVo was still handling the DirecTiVo TiVo service accounts. Later DirecTV took on that role and responsibility.

15. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    A while back (along about May I think it was) there was a post by a supposed TiVo beta tester that responded to a thread about S3's not having MRV turned on. The OP claimed that they were currently in beta tests of TiVoToGo/MRV and eSATA support on the S3. I was surprised to see that knowing how NDA's work but replied with a question. Within hours the posts magically disappeared. Cloak and dagger stuff it seems. :cool:

16. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    TiVo's beta NDA forbids people to mention anything about the beta - even that they were IN a beta. Stating that you are, or were, a beta tester for TiVo would get you blacklisted from future beta tests.

So anyone who did have a good experience and wanted to do it again would not admit it - and only people who were disgruntled and didn't care if they got to do it again would talk about it.