1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beta Opportunity for TiVo OTA customers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoMargret, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jan 4, 2017 #1 of 45
    TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Hi TiVo Community!

Beta testers are needed for a new and exciting opportunity that will last approximately 8 weeks.

To qualify you must:
    1. Have a TiVo box (Roamio, Premiere, or BOLT) with Over-The-Air (OTA) TV signal – No CableCARD
    2. Live in the San Francisco Bay Area
    3. And, have two of these three products:
    - iOS device (phone or tablet)
    - Android device (phone or tablet)
    - Computer with web browser, either Windows 7 + or Mac OSx 10 +

If interested, please e-mail Beta@tivo.com with “OTA Beta Opportunity” as the subject line and your name, e-mail address, and TSN in the body.

Thank you!
    -- Margret

2. Jan 4, 2017 #2 of 45
    Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    San Fran only?!? How about the largest DMA where I am? Please!

3. Jan 4, 2017 #3 of 45
    Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    How about 24th largest DMA!!?? :)

4. Jan 5, 2017 #4 of 45
    schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Tivo is based in SF. My guess would be so engineers are close by. Now to figure out what their testing.

cowboys2002 likes this.
  5. Jan 5, 2017 #5 of 45
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yeah, the SF area requirement SUCKS - I'd love to participate . . .

6. Jan 5, 2017 #6 of 45
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't speculate as to why the bay area is required, but if you look through the CES threads you may figure out what they are testing.

I left San Mateo six years too early. BTW, my feed was Comcast.

Hint: CES Rumors and expectations

7. Jan 5, 2017 #7 of 45
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Actually, the old TiVo is based in Alviso, CA, 43 miles southeast of SF, at the bottom of SF Bay and in the midst of Silicon Valley; and 9-10 miles north of San Jose, the biggest city in the SJ-SF-Oakland Bay Area. It still operates there, as far as I am aware.

The new TiVo Corporation (post Rovi acquisition of the old TiVo) is based in San Carlos, CA, almost mid-way between SF and SJ.

;)

map1.PNG

edit: map added

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. Jan 5, 2017 #8 of 45
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    When I have seen that requirement before, it has been because TiVo on-site equipment testing and/or interviewing was involved.

9. Jan 5, 2017 #9 of 45
    hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I am sure they are testing the cloud DVR stuff. So you can burn through newly capped internet plans.

JoeKustra likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    ;) So true. I'm on the "top tier" of AT&T DSL, with a monthly 150GB cap (which AT&T years ago said was reasonable, with 90% of customers below that--things have only evolved more online since), and saw earlier this week that I had gone thru 10GB in one day alone, between some larger software downloads and a few hours of PC YouTube browsing.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I feel bad for you. My 40/4Mbps gives me a 750GB/Month cap. But even with some YouTube stuff I seldom pass 40GB. Now, if I decide to watch some TV show series or movie, that's a spike. But if I could, I would go OTA in a second.
    Service Electric Cablevision | High-Speed Internet

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's the killer, the online entertainment content, TV series shows especially. (I don't do that much in that arena, doing mostly OTA, and so rarely get up to the limit.) And why I wonder about cloud DVRs, for those with lower-capped services until caps are raised, recognizing new realities (but maybe such lower caps are very much in the minority).

13. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    40 Gb is really low. One nhl game streamed is 5-6 Gb. I think Netflix is close to 7gb an hour.

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    No doubt the cable internet folks will follow the cellular folks and start offering streaming that doesn't count against your cap, but only, of course, if you stream stuff from their "partners" :).

15. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    They already do. Comcast vod doesn't count toward your cap. So if you watch on your TiVo or iPad or whatever in your home network it is exempt. :(

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    :confused: 40Mbps is the download rate. 750GB is the monthly cap. It takes several months if you go over the cap before they charge you also.

That 40Mbps is solid (24 channels down/4 channels up). No change during prime time. My whole infrastructure was rebuilt two years ago. But it was so bad before that most people went dish. Also, I've tried to get a DSL line: they said no ports. Sure.

b = bit
    B = Byte

Mini slight hiccups watching video using Powerline. to see streaming rates.

17. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
  18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I still don't think the cloud DVR is actually going to upload shows from your local TiVo to the cloud. I think it's going to be a hybrid system where local OTA recordings are stored locally, and streamed just as they are now, and the cloud part will be for some sort of OTT skinny bundle type service like PSVue that will integrate directly into the TiVo UI.

bradleys likes this.
  19. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    No doubt. Uploading an mpg2 recording isn't going to happen with 896Kb DSL.

Here is to hoping it is something innovative.

bradleys likes this.
  20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I agree with Dan - I am thinking "Cloud" DVR in the same way the Tablo is a "Cloud" DVR. The Mavrik would be cheaper to build, hardware wise, with no harddrive and no direct video connections.

The Mavrik will obviously be designed specifically to support the OTA market - however, I do hope we see full feature TiVo's benefit by native MRS from local storage functionality.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017