*BETA* feature test: "Chaptering"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by krkaufman, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Jun 2, 2018 #1 of 74
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

FYI... Copied from the TiVo.IFTTT.Innovate Facebook group, with permission from David Shoop -- provided the fact that it is a BETA feature is emphasized, and that the only support for the feature is via the TiVo.IFTTT.Innovate Facebook group. ("TiVo Support knows nothing about it.")

===================================
    ***NEW BETA FEATURE – CHAPTERING***
    I mentioned the other day that we may try something new that we call “chaptering”. Well, the time has come to test it out!

Important Information
    1. BETA test - please note that this is a BETA test. It might work, it might not.
    2. IMPACT – There should NOT be any impact to the SKIP functionality
    3. SUPPORT - The only support for the feature is right here in this group. Please do not call customer support.

What is Chaptering
    Using our SKIP technology, we will create additional SKIP points in a recording that allow you to SKIP from one interesting point to the next; e.g. skip to Curry drop a 3pt for down town! Use the SKIP key to skip to the next interesting point and SKIP over a commercial breaks. The idea is to get you to the interesting points of the content without having to watch the entire recording. Kind cool, right?

Where will Chaptering be Available?
    We are going to add chaptering to the remaining NBA and NHL finals. The specific games and chaptering events are outlined below. We hope to do this for all games listed but make no guarantees it will work.

How Do I get Chaptering?
    If you have a TiVo that shows you SKIP icons, your half way there. The other half is to set a recording for any/all the NHL or NBA final games. One of the easiest ways to record all events is to create a OnePass for NBA finals and Stanley Cup Playoffs, we call that SportsPass. Then Approximately 10min after the game/recording is complete the SKIP icon should appear.

How do I use chaptering?
    During playback of the recording, you should be able to SKIP to any chapter point or SKIP over the commercials. Use the SKIP/D key to skip to the next interesting point and SKIP over a commercial breaks. You can also use the Channel up or Down key to move forward and backward between these SKIP/chaptering points.

Chaptering Events and Schedule

NBA Events (i.e. Chaptered Moments)
    Chapter - ~5 seconds before All 3pts by Warriors
    Chapter - ~5 seconds before All Dunks by Warriors
    Chapter - beginning of each period, if not already done by commercials
    SKIP – commercial segments

NBA Schedule
    June 3 Cavs@Warriors 8:00p ET ABC
    June 6 Warriors@Cavs 9:00p ET ABC
    June 8 Warriors@Cavs 9:00p ET ABC
    June 11 Cavs@Warriors 9:00p ET ABC (if necessary)
    June 14 Warriors@Cavs 9:00p ET ABC (if necessary)
    June 17 Cavs@Warriors 8:00p ET ABC (if necessary)

NHL Events (i.e. Chaptered Moments)
    Chapter - ~10 seconds before any goal (either team)
    Chapter - ~10 seconds before any great save/missed goal (either team)
    Chapter - ~10 seconds before any fight or massive hit (either team)
    Chapter - beginning of any power play
    Chapter - beginning of any period
    SKIP - commercials

NHL Schedule
    June 2 Vegas@Washington 8:00p ET NBCSN
    June 4 Vegas@Washington 8:00p ET NBC
    June 7 Washington@Vegas 8:00p ET NBC
    June 10 Vegas@Washington 8:00p ET NBC
    June 13 Washington@Vegas 8:00p ET NBC

Summary
    Again, this is BETA only! We hope it works and you guys like it. Leave us comments below and let us know what you think… we’re listening.
    ===================================

Followup 1: Hidden Easter egg. If you recorded the first game of Dubs v Cavs you should see SKIP on the content. Start viewing and press skip to take you to the best plays.

Followup 2: No special device or UI. Press the skip (ch up/down, d key) to skip to each chapter during playback. Regarding SNL, they are not running new episodes just yet. We did run a test on last weeks show and it was awesome!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    PSU_Sudzi, gonzotek and RGM1138 like this.
  2. Jun 2, 2018 #2 of 74
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Info on new private Facebook group dedicated to the Chaptering BETA effort, >here<.

---
    (14Jun2018) Added link to Chaptering FB group

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. Jun 2, 2018 #3 of 74
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sounds like someone at TiVo was using a Sony DHG years ago. It supported chapter marks. It supported a few other things too.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Jun 2, 2018 #4 of 74
    humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I have the NBA Finals game recorded, but no SKIP badge appears. TE3, Roamio Pro.

5. Jun 2, 2018 #5 of 74
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

I hope this doesn't mean that Channel Up is not the same as "D" button anymore? I want Channel Up to skip commercials, not to some point that someone else deemed "interesting". The "D" button is not convenient to find without looking at remote or even available on some TiVo Remotes so I never use it. Likewise, Channel Down should go to the previous start of a show after commercials, not some different point.

If this is just for sports events which don't usually have SKIP then that's fine, just hope it's not going to be extended to non sports shows as well.

ClearToLand and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Jun 2, 2018 #6 of 74
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Will the same new algorithm involved in making Suggestions also be used in deciding the interesting points that one may skip to? ;) (Kidding you, TiVo.)

JoeKustra likes this.
  7. Jun 2, 2018 #7 of 74
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Heh, hope they don't listen to my request, then. (And, yes, D/Channel Up are still equivalent.)

Also being considered for other content, such as SNL.

8. Jun 2, 2018 #8 of 74
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Was it recorded off the original broadcast (ABC?), or one of the rebroadcasts?

9. Jun 2, 2018 #9 of 74
    Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    I have the SKIP icon and chaptering is working for me on Game 1. Interesting as proof-of-concept, but I suspect there will be a rather wide range of opinions as to how and when it would be useful, if at all.

Or perhaps I'm wrong and everybody on TCF will be in complete agreement. ;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    CloudAtlas and krkaufman like this.
  10. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Original ABC broadcast. I did pad it an extra 1.5 hours, if that matters.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn’t think so.

12. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    "This skit sucks." *D* "This skit sucks." *D* "This skit sucks." *D* "This musical artist sucks." *D* "Oh hey, Weekend Update!"...

Durfman, tim1724, sd2528 and 3 others like this.
  13. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    It has been suggested that it be used for more than just sports (as mentioned above, SNL is a good example). I know that throws off ad-detection efforts, but for most users, getting fast access to "interest points" in programs is potentially a big benefit. National magazine-style news shows, like 60 minutes or The Daily Show, where there are always several fairly distinct segments are another potential place where chapter marks would come in handy.

Might be time to explore adding a (simplistic) built-in segment editor gui to kmttg...pull skip data, then present the video (in thumbnail form...it doesn't really need to be a complete video player), and let users add/delete/move the skip markers as desired (maybe still shunting off the final/actual file editing step to comskip or videoredo). I'm sure even that would be a LOT of work, so I completely understand if it's not feasible for the kmttg project!

14. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    When they get to the point where they're looking for other content that works well with this idea - someone make sure they suggest BattleBots.

philco782 and krkaufman like this.
  15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I hope they don’t either. The D button is too small and SKIP only does up not down and would require another button on universal remotes which an awful lot of us use. (The peanut is useless for a full media center.)

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, I don’t want anyone to decide for me what is interesting or not. Why not just put extra ticks in for the “interesting” things rather than using skip? Leave skip for commercials. Which would work for sports too.

Or implement true bookmarks. Even allow us to put in our own. I had that on other boxes.

bbrown9 likes this.
  17. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Anyone think this would be great for baseball? Skip to each segment where the ball is put into play, third strikes or ball four.

18. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    It's called "Condensed Games" and available as part of MLB.TV subscriptions about 90 mins after each game.
    If TiVo tried to duplicate that, they might have to hire some additional (high attention span) people as there could be up to 15 games per day.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It sounds like commercial skip will work exactly as it has. I.e., if you're at the beginning of a commercial break, hitting skip will take you to the end. The difference is now if you're NOT at the beginning of a commercial break, skip will take you to the next "interesting" point. (Or the end of the next commercial break, if nothing "interesting" happens in between.)

So it looks like win-win. If you want the new stuff, you have it; if you don't, you can just ignore it.

20. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    What happens if you're using Autoskip? Seems like it will skip all the best moments along with the commercials.