Bestbuy refusing to sell TIVOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scott816, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1 of 190
    scott816

scott816 New Member

Feb 6, 2005

Advertisements

I tried to buy a HD TIVO yesterday at BestBuy and BestBuy refused to sell me one. During checkout the women ringing me up asked for my name, number address... i asked her why she needed it and she informed me that Tivo requires it. WTF?

I was paying cash so why do they need my information? the manager was called over to the register and he also demanded my contact information. I told him i was paying cash and he told me it doesn't matter. He informed me that this was TIVO'S policy and that his hands were tied. When i refused to give him my information he took the HD TIVO and said that i could not purchase it and walked off!! WTF? My wife and I walked out of the store stunned. We drove over to the local circuit city and bought one without any questions asked. So what the hell is going on? Is this a TIVO issue or a Bestbuy issue?

Everytime i go into bestbuy it seems that i walk out either angry or stunned these days. I really can not stand having my purchased bagged items checked when i leave the store. I find it to be an invasion of my privacy but that is whole different story.

2. Aug 31, 2008 #2 of 190
    LostCluster

LostCluster Member

Feb 10, 2002
    TiVo has always sold computer hardware at less than it was worth and made up the difference and then some with the subscription price. Best Buy requires address info for all subscription based devices (TiVos, XM and Sirius radios...) because they're on the hook if they sell a device and that device's number never shows up as subscribed.

You're going to have to provide your name, address, and credit card number to TiVo... why'd you have a problem giving it to your Best Buy checkout rep?

3. Aug 31, 2008 #3 of 190
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I don't believe I've EVER walked out of BB without being one or all of the following --

1) Disappointed
    2) Insulted
    3) Misled
    4) Flabbergasted
    5) Annoyed
    6) Disgusted
    7) Disgruntled
    8) Irritated
    9) Ripped off
    10) Violated :eek:

4. Aug 31, 2008 #4 of 190
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    BIG BIG difference there. You can trust TiVo.....BB....well....nuff said...

5. Aug 31, 2008 #5 of 190
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I recently purchased a Vonage adapter from Best Buy and they recorded the MAC address. When I asked "why", they had no answer except "the computer requires it"

6. Aug 31, 2008 #6 of 190
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's probably just a Best Buy hiccup; before the HD models, there was a subsidy involved in the pricing of the unit, and a subscription for it was essentially required to be purchased. Nowadays, though, that's not the case. It sounds like they've just got their "TiVo policy" in place and don't pay an attention to what models it would really be required for.

In any case, I would have to also say you just made a completely unnecessary nuisance of yourself for making such a big deal over it and wasted more of your own time than it was worth. Why some people get such a bug up their ass over such "privacy" issues just escapes me.

7. Aug 31, 2008 #7 of 190
    tevoisseur

tevoisseur Tivoisseur

Jul 12, 2008
    I'm sorry but why not? Why does the OP have to give BB anything? If the OP is paying with cash what the hell difference does it make?

It seems to me that people give out information too easily today. You want my SSN? Well, here you go. You want to have a national ID card, because it will 'make the country safer'? Sure, why the f*** not. It seems perfectly logical that the terrorists won't go out and get one.

I think if you don't question things like this the companies like BB are going to think that they can get away with collecting un-necessary information.

8. Aug 31, 2008 #8 of 190
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Besides the "principle" of the thing. Which I have a tendency to care about a lot more than some other people there is also the pragmatic issue of not wanting to be spammed. Giving your address to BB pretty much guarantees you'll get added to marketing lists and sent junk mail. Sure you can go to the hassle of talking to them after the fact to remove your name from the list...wait a couple of months for it to propagate through the system, call back when it doesn't and ask to be removed again...rinse..repeat. Or you can refuse to give your name in the first place and save yourself the hassle.

I appreciate people who stand up and refuse to give private information just because they are asked...but I admit in my personal life I tend to take the middle ground and just give fake info, I hate confrontation.

9. Aug 31, 2008 #9 of 190
    ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    I have to admit, BB is pissing me off more lately, too. From their "Hi, what's your name?" to their having to check you out before you leave....

One of these days they're going to catch me in a bad mood, and I will make a huge deal of it on the way out. It's not Costco--they can't make you show them your receipt on the way out.

10. Aug 31, 2008 #10 of 190
    cwsqbm

cwsqbm New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    If they're not checking ID's, do what I've done since Radio Shack started asking many years ago - fake name, fake address, and fake phone number, etc. It elminiates any questions and I get left alone.

11. Aug 31, 2008 #11 of 190
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    What's your name: "Jack"
    Is that your last name: "No"
    Could we have your last name please? "Sure, it's Meeoff"

:p :D

12. Aug 31, 2008 #12 of 190
    lllslinklll

lllslinklll New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    It appears that Best Buy is actually activating service when they're selling the machines. If you look on their website it says:

"TiVo Service as low as $8.31 per month*
    *Minimum 1 year service plan required. Early termination fee and other restrictions apply. Call (877)BUY-TIVO for service plan details."

Whereas if you look on Circuit City's website it states:

"Service charges TiVo subscription sold separately"

So in theory, yes tivo does need that information to set up a service plan, the real question is why can't Best Buy sell you a tivo without trying to create a service plan.

13. Aug 31, 2008 #13 of 190
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I like Circuit City because there is less *buzz* in the atmosphere and they don't have the bag check 'nazi' standing at the exit.
    I bought my TivoHD there.
    I go to Best Buy only when I need something specific that Circuit City doesn't carry.

In the OPs situation, I would have attempted to give a false name with a fake address, etc.

14. Aug 31, 2008 #14 of 190
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It can't be about money...you'd think that BB would try to get something out of you...but if they care more about policy than making a sale...? :confused:

15. Aug 31, 2008 #15 of 190
    EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hmmm, you would prefer a company to BREAK policy to make a sale?

16. Aug 31, 2008 #16 of 190
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If BB were selling the service, and they're not, they'd have to have the details of the plans on hand and when someone asked why BB needed personal information, they'd say it was for the service plan.

17. Aug 31, 2008 #17 of 190
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    They record serial numbers of products if one is on the package. This helps them prevent return fraud - say, you returned a broken one and kept the good one.

18. Aug 31, 2008 #18 of 190
    webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    No, he's implying they should have different policies. But BestBuy, as has been pointed out many times in the past, are the Nazis of the consumer electronics stores.

//Godwin's Law, 16th post.

19. Aug 31, 2008 #19 of 190
    usnret

usnret New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NW Ohio
    Maybe they check the bag on the way out to make sure that someone doesn't slip a little something extra in it before leaving??

20. Aug 31, 2008 #20 of 190
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    While I agree Best Buy's policy is moronic; and I also believe that it really isn't their policy, but something someone put into the computer and the staff didn't even understand, i agree with Doug.

If I wanted the Tivo, such sillyness wouldn't have prevented me from buying it.

And I'd never buy a consumer electronics product for cash anyway.