Best wired ethernet adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sterickson, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Aug 2, 2004 #1 of 42
    sterickson

sterickson New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    North...

Advertisements

Ok, I bought a second 80 hour TiVo last week (convinced a friend to buy his first, too!). After doing "the Gary dance", I have MRV working just fine. The prolem is that it's slow, as both units are on my wireless network. I'd like to put them on my 100Mb switched wired network, instead.

What do you folks recommend as the best adapter for me to get? I'm ready to buy. :)

2. Aug 2, 2004 #2 of 42
    dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I have no idea if it's the best (I would guess they're all pretty much the same), but I got a Netgear adapter over the weekend at Fry's and it works perfectly, first time out. I've showed slides on the TV, and have done remote scheduling (that took a few forced calls to TiVO, but of course that has nothing to do with the adapter).

3. Aug 2, 2004 #3 of 42
    dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Linksys USB200M

4. Aug 2, 2004 #4 of 42
    Rwood

Rwood New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Newport...
    I recommend the Linksys USB200M also. Using the USB100M adapters I was running well less than real-time on Best Quality. About 90 seconds to transfer 60 seconds of data. With the 200Ms I am running slightly better than real-time in Best Quality.
    Fry's/Outpost.com have them for $25.

5. Aug 2, 2004 #5 of 42
    sterickson

sterickson New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    North...

Advertisements

Just ordered two USB200M adapters from Amazon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now, if only TiVo would do USB 2.0 and let us run Gigabit ethernet speed, we'd be able to transfer data even faster. Listening, TiVo? :)

6. Aug 2, 2004 #6 of 42
    buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Very Special Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I think you are very well off with Linksys. They may cost a little more, but wired nic's are pretty cheap these days.

7. Aug 3, 2004 #7 of 42
    danieljanderson

danieljanderson Proud to preach TiVo

Nov 18, 2002
  8. Aug 3, 2004 #8 of 42
    rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    You are not the first one to comment on this aspect of the adapter, but once it is connected and behind the TiVo how much stress is really on the adapter?

I have been using the USB200M's for some time now after trying the USB100M's and 3Com's and can attest the the significant speed improvement over USB 1.1 adapters even though both my hardware and TiVo software are limited to USB 1.1 speeds.

9. Aug 3, 2004 #9 of 42
    Rwood

Rwood New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Newport...
    I don't like the Linksys design either. The 200M comes with a short USB cable, so the stick doesn't have to plug directly into the USB port. I tie wrapped both cables in place to relieve stress on the stick connection.
    If you plan to watch best quality, without an adapter like the 200M, you will have to start the transfer well in advance of watching it.

10. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I have a Linksys as well as the the netgear FA-120. The netgear is also usb 2.0 and seems just as fast as the USB200M. IMHO the netgear is a better design since it doesn't have the crazy plug on the end. Also its available for 18.99 at newegg.com

11. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    The netgear usb2.0 works fine (fast) for both of my tivos. I'm very happy I decided to go with a wired network!

12. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    I recently picked up the D-Link DUB-E100 from eCost:
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=462769
    ...and it works great for me.

It doesn't look like the pic on that link above, BTW. D-Link must have updated recently it because the one I received looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I didn't want a dongle sticking out the back of my TiVo, I agree the weight could put unnecessary stress on the USB port. This one uses a standard USB cable and works very nicely.

13. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta
    My vote is cast with those who said Linksys USB200M.

I agree that they seem flimsy, but I've had 3 of them working perfectly for many months. Once plugged in, they hold pretty well. In fact, mine have NEVER come unplugged. The price is right and they are extremely fast for transfers. Any show, no matter what the quality level, can be watched within just a few minutes of initiating a transfer.

And they make a nice little nite-lite behind the bedroom tv. A warm greenish glow. I solved this with a piece of electrical tape (the same way I fixed my old vcr's blinking 000's) :)

14. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I agree with you on the LinkSys design.

15. gibby

gibby Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I can't beleave that Tivo 2 has been out for over a year and we still don't have usb 2.0 drivers for our units,
    I have 3 Tivo's using a usb 2 100 network card and I would love to get live data transfer speeds,
    I would be so nice to copy one show, lets say 1 hr long to another Tivo in about 15 min, instead I need to wait about 5 to 10 min before I can watch the show...
    What is the big holdup ???
    anyone....

16. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta
    Are you using wired ethernet? We don't get any 15 minute transfer times, but my wired setup takes about 20-25 minutes to transfer a medium quality 1 hour show. About 40 minutes to transfer a best quality show. We rarely have to wait more than 2 minutes before watching, and we never catch up, even with commercials.

My Tivos are wired into an ethernet switch (switch is usb2, connected to my computer's usb2 card), and transfer speed (or lack of it) never occurs to us.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks to help from D-Pac I also chose the Linksys USB200M adapters (less than $25 at buy.com with free ship) and they seem to work VERY nicely. The adapter is so very light that I simply cannot imagine it putting stress on the usb port. Geez, I probably put more stress on the usb ports of my computer with my keyboard and mouse than that little thing on my Tivo units does.

18. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    It's the weight of the cable that people (including me) are concerned about - not the weight of the adapter.

19. EthansDadu

EthansDadu New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    :confused:

Hello all ... new to the Tivo world and came across this great site. As a precursor, I've impletmented and sold technology for over 15 years and am familiar with all aspects of networking, etc ... however ...

I purchased the recommended USB Ethernet adapter discussed in this thread - the Linksys USB200M to connect my newly purchased Tivo Series2 (140 hour) recorder. After going thru the settings menu to switch from phone to ethernet, I get an error that the adapter is unsupported, etc.

I've tested the adapter, connection, wiring, DHCP with a laptop and all appears to work just fine.

Any ideas on what other factors may be causing the errors? It seems I'm one of the few where plug-n-play with this particular "unsupported" adapter doesn't work.

Thanks much in advance for any ideas/further insight. I'm looking forward to scouring the threads for what looks like great ideas on how to get the most of Tivo.

Regards

20. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Linksys just came out with the USB200M Version 2 that is not compatible. You need the version 1 or a different compatible adapter. Check the list at www.tivo.com/adapters for compatibility listings.

CuriousMark