Best way to transfer shows? - Is Desktop Plus available anywhere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Noku Dzu, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Member

Jan 29, 2016

Advertisements

Is it easier/faster to transfer box to box with TiVo on screen menus or better to use Desktop or Desktop Plus?

If Desktop or Desktop Plus is available, could someone provide a download link. This noob has been unsuccessful finding it.

I need to transfer shows from my two week old Roamio Pro to my old Premiere, so I can swap out my Pro. My new Pro has an annoyingly loud fan, TiVo is sending me a new replacement.

The Roamio is on wifi and the Premiere is on Powerline Lan. Network connections test out great.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Box to box is easier using the TiVo UI. If you used a PC you'd have to do two transfers, one from TiVo to PC and then from PC to TiVo.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, tivo <> tivo is faster.. But if you want to use a computer as the in-between (or just store them on a computer hard drive -- un copy protected shows for example), you could use kmttg. It's third party software, but works well and AFAIK (I don't use Windows so have never used Tivo Desktop/Desktop Plus) has more features.

4. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Member

Jan 29, 2016
    so can't really use the other utilities.

I'll give transfer from one to the other a try - kind of locked into it seems.

It will be interesting to see the transfer speed. Speaking of that, how does one tell the speed?

Thanks

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Network, Network Diagnostics, View Transfer History, chose # 3 or # 4 depending on which box you are viewing. Those numbers are accurate and I have compared them to Windows Taskmgr/Performance.

You will find transfers started on a Premiere are slower than transfers started on a Roamio. A transfer started on a PC is faster. You should get 80+Mbps for Roamio initiated transfers. If not, you may have a network problem. Putting the passive box into Standby may help.

One hour of 1080i content takes me about 10 minutes on a basic Roamio.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. AlMejias

AlMejias New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Here is the official link to the Tivo Desktop software. Grab it quickly because they are dropping all support for it. But the free version still works!

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktop2.8.3.exe

Note you'll also need to find the patch for curl on the forums.

Just today I was trying to buy a new Activation Key to upgrade to Tivo Desktop Plus and they said there is no way they can do it since it's not on the store and I had bought it before 2010 so it's not in my account. They actually told me to look for Activation Keys online. LOL

Hope that helps!

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The patch should no longer be needed.

Scott

8. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I am doing the same thing to get shows off of an old S3 OLED because of a questionable hard drive. I am getting 32Mbps for a roamio ota initiated transfer. Is there a way to initiate a transfer of a whole folder of shows or is one at a time the only way to do it?

9. AlMejias

AlMejias New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The patch is still needed for older Tivos such as Series 2 and possible Series 3.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    From another tivo, one by one.. I don't know about any of the other tools, but with kmttg, you can simply select multiple shows and hit the start button and it does them one by one.

11. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Is there any way to monitor the shows being transfered? And their progress?

It looks like you'd better make good notes before you start, I can't find a way to know the status of the transfer. A progress bar or somesuch next to the show name being transfered would be nice

12. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    They should show up in the To Do list. And on the S3 if you select the episode that is transfering it tells you how far along it is.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    11.0m fixed the issue for the S3 and HD (July 2013) so the patch wasn't required.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=506138

I understood that an update was also released for the S2 as well (9.3.2c?) but I'm not positive on that one since we went straight from the S1 to the S3.

Scott

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    9.3.2c fixed the issue on S2s.

15. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Member

Jan 29, 2016
    AlMejias, you said "Here is the official link to the Tivo Desktop software. Grab it quickly because they are dropping all support for it. But the free version still works!

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.3.exe

Note you'll also need to find the patch for curl on the forums.

Just today I was trying to buy a new Activation Key to upgrade to Tivo Desktop Plus and they said there is no way they can do it since it's not on the store and I had bought it before 2010 so it's not in my account. They actually told me to look for Activation Keys online. LOL

Hope that helps!"

Does anyone have a link that has not been "truncated" (or whatever I should call it)?

Thanks,

Noku

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Check post 7. That link lets you do a download.

17. Noku Dzu

Noku Dzu Member

Jan 29, 2016
    That download link downloads the .exe. I was expecting to go to a webpage - DUH on my part.

Thanks, got it.

Noku

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Don't be so quick. I hope it works for you since it is very easy to use. I can transfer programs from my basic Roamio and Premiere boxes 100% at 100Mbps all day long. But any program over 2GB in size fails to transfer back. If I use kmttg to get the program and convert it to mpg, I can publish it and Desktop Plus will send it back back. So good luck.

It's still better to use TiVo to TiVo transfers. They never fail for me.

19. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Might this help?

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks for the suggestions, but a few years ago when I was using XP to a Premiere it was good. Now, I can use XP, Win 7 or 8.1 and Premiere or Roamio with the same results. So, I know when I need to move on. I just got VideoReDo, so I will convert the .TiVo files to .mpg, then publish them. It's slower but never fails. I can copy the mpg files to a USB memory stick and use my router since it has TiVo support. I have two Premieres I can use for archives, but also have external drives on two computers that work well also.